Add Search For VST Plugins

rasure

4 minutes ago, rasure said:

Thanks, I was thinking more from the Pro Channel side or FX bin.  Seems rather clumsy at the moment.

You're right - the search completely ignores the FX Chains, even though they're listed on that tab.

ProChannels aren't as bad as there's not as many of them at the moment. Hopefully this will change though, at which point a search would be good.

1 minute ago, rasure said:

Not so much FX chains, but a general search function on that side where you go to insert an fx, all you really have is "recently used" at the top😃

I've more or less stopped using insert fx nowadays, in favour of dragging the fx from the browser on the right, for exactly that reason.

The other reason is its a pain navigating through nested sub menus on a right-click menu: one slip of the mouse, and you've lost your selection and have to start again.

What you could do I guess, is add your fx into a "_favorite" category - note the underscore so it always appears at the top.  

7 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The other reason is its a pain navigating through nested sub menus on a right-click menu: one slip of the mouse, and you've lost your selection and have to start again.

Yep, know that one all too well lol

Sorry of this is a hijack...

This may sound lame, but is there, or could there be a way to search for preset names that would include all plugins? There are times I want a preset I created, but I've got so many plugins I can't recall which one it was.

Anyone else think it would be useful to be able to search by preset name?

It might be useful but very difficult to implement and the search might take some time. Presets could be in the registry or on disk, stored as individual files or in banks. The location may only be obvious to the plug-in using the presets.  Presets can have a variety of file extensions that do not follow any standard. The search tool would need to be updated when a plug-in gets installed with a new proprietary preset storage system. Some manufacturers may be reluctant to provide information about their implementation.  Some plug-ins have thousands of presets. For example, my install of Rapture Pro has over 19000 presets all stored in separate files.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, rasure said:

Ok maybe not clumsy. Would be better to be able to search from the ProChannel side.

Image2.png

The work around would be to use the browser then drag and drop the plugins to the FX Chain from there. The Browser menu has been a huge workflow plus for me.  Wish they would add a sub category feature to be able to narrow down your searches even further.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:34 AM, CosmicDolphin said:

Pretty sure that's possible already, not in my studio to check though.  But you can move any track(s) to any folder via the Track Menu , I don't drag and drop any more when sorting into folders as it can be flaky as per @Eamonn Dargan mentions.

But the menu has an option to move to a given folder so I presume it works regardless of whether those tracks are already in another folder. 

On 12/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, scook said:

It might be useful but very difficult to implement and the search might take some time. Presets could be in the registry or on disk, stored as individual files or in banks. The location may only be obvious to the plug-in using the presets.  Presets can have a variety of file extensions that do not follow any standard. The search tool would need to be updated when a plug-in gets installed with a new proprietary preset storage system. Some manufacturers may be reluctant to provide information about their implementation.  Some plug-ins have thousands of presets. For example, my install of Rapture Pro has over 19000 presets all stored in separate files.

That makes sense. Doesn't sound worth all the backend and other work it would take.

Thanks