[Solved] Clip Drag Move Problem

Bill Phillips

Question

Why can't I drag the 18 tracks in a project to the left? The attached GIF shows me trying to drag move 18 clips left. The clips won't drag left and the gray shapes shown show up while I'm trying. I then dragged one clip left with no problem. There are also white dots in the empty space to the left of most of the clips. What's the significance of that?

SUMgKaA.gif

Edited by Bill Phillips
Update, Solved

5 answers to this question

Is it possible that it's because when you select all, the "Selection From" is at 1:0:0, which means that anything between 1:0:0 and the beginning of your clips is also selected (even if it's empty space)? This means the "Selection From" is as far to left as it can go.

Make sure the "Selection From" is at the start of your clips - then you can drag the clips to the left.

• Thanks 1

@Promidi is correct - you're selecting everything from 1:0:0

Go up to the timeline at the edge of the green selection indicator, when the cursor changes to an "S", move the selection start to 6:02.

The white dots indicate that there's event data further on in that track - in your case at 6:02. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Thanks @Promidi & @msmcleod. That's it! I moved the left selection boundary to 6:02 and was able to move all the clips left. I also noticed that the selection extends to measure 903. So when press Shift + F to display the project which ends at measure 219, I get the display in the screen shot. I looked at the event list and there are no events after measure 219. Any idea what's out there? Dashed lines for track automation envelopes extend out there but nothing else I can see. As a note the clips for this project were cut from a recording session that most likely extended to measure 903.

When clips are cropped, the original clip data isn't lost... it's still part of the clip, allowing you to move the crop point to retrieve the data.  The same thing happens when you split a clip - i.e. both clips are essentially copies of each other with different crop points.

If you do a "Apply Trimming" or "Bounce To Clip(s)" on a clip, this will remove the original event data.

So if the original data is still there, this is probably the cause of what you're seeing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Promidi & @msmcleod. That's it! I moved the left selection boundary to 6:02 and was able to move all the clips left. I also noticed that the selection extends to measure 903. So when press Shift + F to display the project which ends at measure 219, I get the display in the screen shot. I looked at the event list and there are no events after measure 219. Any idea what's out there? Dashed lines for track automation envelopes extend out there but nothing else I can see. As a note the clips for this project were cut from a recording session that most likely extended to measure 903.

MAoICgc.png

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

When clips are cropped, the original clip data isn't lost... it's still part of the clip, allowing you to move the crop point to retrieve the data.  The same thing happens when you split a clip - i.e. both clips are essentially copies of each other with different crop points.

If you do a "Apply Trimming" or "Bounce To Clip(s)" on a clip, this will remove the original event data.

So if the original data is still there, this is probably the cause of what you're seeing.

@msmcleod, thanks. I used save as to create the project so the clips were already nearly the correct length, but I "Applied Trimming" to be safe. That didn't solve the problem. I use aux tracks, not buses for FX these days so, I hadn't really looked at buses. When I did I saw bus automation that stretched out across the whole tracking session. Deleting the bus automation solved my problem. Now "Shift + F" stretches the project to fill the screen.

I think I'd originally added the bus automation to do a rough mixdown of the whole session. It looks like you get all the bus automation with each song when you use "Save As" to create a single song mix project from a multi-song session with bus automation. That probably also means that the bus automation is not in sync with the song. Not good, but ok if you don't use bus automation or don't mind recreating it manually for each song.