Insert Instrument forgets my custom plugin layout

John Bradley

Sometimes, when I right-click in the Track window to Insert Instrument it forgets the way I've organized my VSTi plugins, and presents me with it's own idea of a list, wherein most of them are filed under "Uncategorized".

If I cancel that, and go to an existing track and pull up the Replace Synth menu, which always remembers to use the 'my synths.pgl' layout, that's enough to fix the Insert Instrument command... for a while, at least. Note that I don't have to actually replace the synth, it's enough to just display the menu of synths available.

I suppose I could use the Insert Soft Synth from the top-level menu, but I've been doing it the Insert Instrument way for years, and it didn't used to forget the menu layout.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue! My workaround for it is to click on the plugins tab on the browser and select Instruments. Then it automatically loads my custom layout. Seems easy enough, but it gets frustrating knowing its the first thing I have to do EVERY time I open Cakewalk. This is not an issue with the custom FX layout. It is just oddly enough with the instruments layout.