Cakewalk Tuner

Hello - 

This is not a serious issue but I could use some advice.  I switched over to a new laptop and operating system (Win10) recently and in the process Cakewalk cBL crashes when trying to open an existing file.  The culprit it appears is the Cakewalk Tuner plugin  which I have used for a long time that I find to be very useful and convenient when I track guitar parts that goes back to Sonar 8, possibly earlier.  It tells me it is not installed properly.  I would reinstall it but  I do not have the Sonar 8 Home Studio install discs, and it is registered on the Cakewalk site, but they no longer offer it for download.  If I open the project in safe mode and go in and remove the plug in I am good, but it is a PITA.  I'm asking if there is another way around this?  I can continue deleting it in my projects, but I do like the tuner, unless there is another tuner that is recommended.   Thanks for your help.  

Edited by Bunky Markert

IIRC the old Cakewalk tuner is a 32-bit DX plugin, which won't work in CbB (because it's 64 bit).

There's quite a few free tuners out there, that are much better than the old Cakewalk one.

I recommend Melda's MTuner, which is part of their free bundle (all the plugins in that bundle are excellent):

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFxBundle

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MTuner

I can find no reference to a Sonar 8 Home Studio. The last numbered Home Studio version appears to be 7. Can't say for sure because I only worked with the XL, Producer and Platinum series.

There was a SONAR 8 Studio. It was never available as a download.

There was an upgrade download available for SONAR 8.5 but it required SONAR 8 be installed before using the upgrade installer.

AFAIK, X1 was the first full version of SONAR available for download.

The oldest version of SONAR I have installed is X2 and that plug-in was discontinued by that time. So, I do not have it installed.

Pretty sure the Cakewalk tuner was a 32/64bit DX plug-in. If the projects were created using a 32bit version of SONAR, the tuner will not load in CbB.

There are a variety of tuner plug-ins free and paid.

There is a tuner in TH3 which is bundled with CbB.

As mentioned above MeldaProduction offers a free one.

GVST is another source for a free tuner.

If you download the Native Instruments free "Komplete Start", it comes with several of the synth engines, and Guitar Rig 5 Player, which has a tuner in it that I like, but as noted, lots of other free ones out there.

(The Komplete Start bundle has a free Kontakt Player  - and a set of sample-based instruments, along with a 'lite' version of Reaktor - Reaktor Player, and I forget what else, but for free, you would get the tuner from Guitar Rig 5 Player, and the other components too, so not a bad deal - hard to beat free).

And that free bundle from MeldaProduction is amazing - very high quality in all of their components - they also make other non-free components, that are worth checking out.

Bob Bone