sonar 6 recording modulation

dB Twelve

Hi guys,

Started using Sonar 6 again on my old pc and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to record modulation? It has been awhile since I have used this software and swear I once was able to do it quite easily. 

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks

Well, I never used Sonar 6 but if it is anything like the current, free Bandlab version then you just arm the midi track on which you are going to record the "mod" wheel hit record and then move the mod wheel.  You might have to have some existing midi notes on the track?

Is this the kind of modulation you are trying to record?  Make sure your keyboard is sending on the desired midi channel and that the midi track is listening on Omni or that channel.

As another thought, you could install the current Bandlab version and then more people might be able to help

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dB Twelve said:

Hi guys,

Started using Sonar 6 again on my old pc and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to record modulation? It has been awhile since I have used this software and swear I once was able to do it quite easily. 

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks

A little more detail would be required to give you a specific answer. If you're trying to simple record MIDI mod wheel message, then as mentioned you can just make sure your MIDI device is enabled in Options | MIDI Devices, then you would simply arm and record on the MIDI track that you wanted to add the modulation too.

If you're trying to add modulation in the form of an audio effect, then you'd be adding a plugin to the FX bin and doing plugin automation if required. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

A little more detail would be required to give you a specific answer. If you're trying to simple record MIDI mod wheel message, then as mentioned you can just make sure your MIDI device is enabled in Options | MIDI Devices, then you would simply arm and record on the MIDI track that you wanted to add the modulation too.

If you're trying to add modulation in the form of an audio effect, then you'd be adding a plugin to the FX bin and doing plugin automation if required. 

I record as I always would. I can see that there is modulation recorded but it won't play back like it has been. For instance if I move the mod wheel while it is playing back it changes or if I don't touch the mod wheel it plays back as if I haven't done anything to it.  I have even froze the track and it doesn't keep it.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:04 AM, dB Twelve said:

Hi guys,

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Is there some reason you are trying to use that old software? Can your computer run Cakewalk?

I'm imagining that his old computer is probably 32bit Win XP. That was the OS du jour around SONAR 6, ya?

Edited by Bapu

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Is there some reason you are trying to use that old software? Can your computer run Cakewalk?

I have a modern pc but my midi keyboard isn't being recognized by Windows 10 stating corrupt driver. On top of that the audio card I have is a firewire which my Windows XP laptop can be connected too. Basically I set all this stuff up in 2007 and have all my synths and software on there. I am also happy with Sonar 6 for my hobby.

• Like 1

Gotcha. Driver support is always hanging over the heads of us audio/video production people with investments in "legacy" hardware.

I, too, run Firewire interfaces on Windows 10, and the drivers for them are supposed to work with Windows 7 or 8 at the latest, I think. Still, they keep on going. For now.

I have a tendency to hang on like a pitbull to functioning hardware. I had this old but fully functional Canon scanner that I could never really get to work reliably in Windows 7. Canon stopped supporting it after XP. But I never tossed it, it sort of worked on one of my Win 7 systems. On a whim I tried plugging it in after I upgraded to Windows 10 and ba-ding, my little Canon scanner is back in business. Works a treat. Windows 10 downloaded and installed a driver for it. So sometimes it goes the opposite way. A newer version of the OS starts supporting hardware that the older version abandoned.

Your "corrupt driver" message would wind me up. I guess my attitude is "my hardware is obsolete when I say it is." 🤣

I have a somewhat different attitude toward software, although if your laptop can't handle W10 you're kind of stuck there.

There's nothing wrong with throwing CbB on that Windows 10 box and playing around with it. No rule says that we have to use the same program to record, edit, comp, mix, master, etc. Since they're file compatible, you can copy a project over after you've finished tracking (or MIDI note entry) and try editing or comping or mixing or mastering or whatever. Lots of people have a two or three-DAW workflow. You can have the best of both worlds, the old program you're familiar with and the new one with the improvements.

What stuck me to Cakewalk like velcro after I first downloaded it was the mixing. I imported dry stems from one of my projects in another DAW and put together a ferocious sounding mix in a couple of hours using only the plug-ins that come with it. I could see myself using other DAW's for tracking, editing, comping, MIDI note entry, beat making, but for mixing....gimme my Cakewalk Console View. Most of the other mixers look like Fisher-Price toys in comparison. Harrison Mixbus looks good, but not much of the rest.

Give it a shot: get the project to the point where you're ready to mix and see which program's mixing facilities you like better. If you already installed SONAR 6 on the Windows 10 box, followed by CbB, you can use all your plug-ins in both of them.

One of the bits of wisdom that the SONAR Platinum crew had for their comrades in the DAW world after the Gibson announcement, and I took it to heart, is that it's always a good idea to learn our way around a second DAW. We never know what's going to happen with our favorite.

And if you've already tried this, I'm curious to hear your impressions.