West World Competition entry

K. M. Joshi

Hi, fellow musicians!

I don't have a song to present exactly, but here's my entry for the West World scoring competition by Spitfire and HBO. It's a video clip from HBO's show West World that you have to write music to.

I used a hybrid electronic and classical (orchestral) sounds for the scoring. Feedbacks are welcome.  Hope you enjoy!

And if any other fellow Cakewalk user is also into making film music/game music, I would love to connect with you! Make sure you say hi in the comments!

Thank you!

It's hard to really listen to the soundtrack while watching the action but it did sound appropriate. Have to say that after a while I didn't really notice the music, but I know that it's actively setting the mood.
Might be interesting to show a short clip of the movie with and without your soundtrack.

• Thanks 1

Kaustub, I think that's pretty well done! Your music is synced beautifully with the action; didn't override or otherwise obscure the essential audio ingredients of the clip; and is present enough to set a tone but not so forceful that it intrudes. 

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 8:11 PM, David Sprouse said:

The new show is pretty entertaining.  BTW Kaustub nice job.  Hope you win!  (can you imagine judging these....there's probably thousands to *sift* through) :D:D

Thank you, David! Yeah, it would be insane, haha! There are SO many submissions — in fact, Spitfire has moved the date of announcing the winners to 27th of June!

On 5/31/2020 at 11:30 PM, bjornpdx said:

It's hard to really listen to the soundtrack while watching the action but it did sound appropriate. Have to say that after a while I didn't really notice the music, but I know that it's actively setting the mood.
Might be interesting to show a short clip of the movie with and without your soundtrack.

Thank you, Bjorn! Yes, sometimes even I forget what I'm trying to hear while working!

And the video file can be downloaded here: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/westworld/

On 6/1/2020 at 1:27 AM, Amicus717 said:

Kaustub, I think that's pretty well done! Your music is synced beautifully with the action; didn't override or otherwise obscure the essential audio ingredients of the clip; and is present enough to set a tone but not so forceful that it intrudes. 

Rob

Thank you very much, Rob! Much appreciated.

Hi.  I am trying to import video- I tried it both in cw by bandlab, as well as cakewalk platinum, and it takes FOREVER to import even a short 12 second clip.  And once it is imported, it only plays the audio clip but there is no video.  I really want to get into film scoring, but maybe my computer is not strong enough,?  I'm currently using a core 2 quad 9650 with 16gb of ram and a 512mb AMD 4650 radeon.  is my computer strong enough?  or am I doing something wrong when I try to import videos?  any help would be appreciated.  thanks!

Edited by Christopher Moyer