UAD Half Year Sale!

cclarry

57 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

Indeed, same with SSL, Carlec is a bit better.. perhaps BBC broadcast had something to do with it. Also Studer, pretty good for the age 🙂

Millenia NSEQ is great, it was an instant buy, just like you've said... respectful  of the source and very nice filters. I like to use in on the orchestral stuff a lot, when sound to start with is already there, just for the extra something... Massive Passive eq works there also, it brings the wood out from the Strings in an very cool way.

I know,  I run the HW mix bus, cannot live without it. Also I like the Bettermaker stuff and almost always 19' rack HW, as 500 series counterparts  didn't ever impress me. AML  54f50 (500 series) being an exception, so far.

Just remembered where I've got a cold feet about the Harrison 32 C. It was when I tested the 500 series module... it was kind of versatile, ok filters but nothing special at all, not sounding any better than some good plugins.

The one that impressed me is the rubber band from weiss , and the elysia 500 is what i would get , hard to beat it in term of value for money ...

did ya tried heritage audio 33609 clone ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zo said:

The one that impressed me is the rubber band from weiss , and the elysia 500 is what i would get , hard to beat it in term of value for money ...

did ya tried heritage audio 33609 clone ? 

I have Elysia Xfilter & Xpressor 19' rack, like them a lot, use them on the drums/perc bus. 

Do you mean Heritage Audio Successor? No haven't tried it. Isn't Heritage Audio made in Spain? I heard of reliability issues. A pair of AML's 54f50 could do nicely instead :-). 

1 hour ago, ZokZTM said:

I have Elysia Xfilter & Xpressor 19' rack, like them a lot, use them on the drums/perc bus. 

Do you mean Heritage Audio Successor? No haven't tried it. Isn't Heritage Audio made in Spain? I heard of reliability issues. A pair of AML's 54f50 could do nicely instead :-). 

hard to find in europe ,but yep great option , that said i love the form factor of this bad boy and operation :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/heritage_audio_ha_609a_elite.htm

23 minutes ago, Zo said:

hard to find in europe ,but yep great option , that said i love the form factor of this bad boy and operation :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/heritage_audio_ha_609a_elite.htm

Should be nice, and you can (with Thomann's 30 days return) send it back if it isn't good, which I doubt! Other great Neve comp HW is Vintage design VDC , now discontinued. I love mine!

AML is from UK and Colin is a great guy himself. Many options. But the fact is Neve type comp (diode bridge) is just simply great!

• Like 1

True , def on my list , so sad API went nutts on prices , can't believe it was 2200 euros now it's 3500 euros!! 

Do they think US EU have gold mines ? ok France steal the gold from Mali (900 tones a year) , but even  ....

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, garybrun said:

OK... I bought Capital Studios, Manley Vox, Shadow Hills and Ocean Way.
What ya reckon??

Is the SSL and the latest Neve good?

Capitol & Ocean Way are great. I remember reading the SoundonSound review of the Voxbox when it came out and drooling, but it turns out I like things simple: The Century Tube strip has won my heart!

I haven't tried the SSL and Neve: I'd have to have much better ears than I do to make it worth me shelling out UAD prices instead of Plugin Alliance ones for that kind of thing. And although it's too late now, I wouldn't buy something like Shadow Hills for UAD when the identical version is available natively for peanuts (if you time it right)!

• Thanks 1

@garybrun, I ended up getting Oceanway, Avalon strip, API Vison strip, and the SSL 4e strip. I used all except the Avalon. Used the Neve 73, the API , and the SSL to record some vocals and I very much enjoyed all three. Using these three with the Unison tech just makes all the difference. Each strip I used I just really concentrated on the pre-amp. I did use the comp sparingly, a little EQ,  but really just worked on the pre. Each one seems  to have a sweet spot. No regrets with any of the three.

The Maney VoxBox to me gives the vocals a focus I hadn't heard before. Really looking forward to working more with it.

Oceanway was more of a surprise to me. I had to work a little more to get what I was looking for cause I really didn't know what to expect.  Once I just let it go, I was able to get great results with it. Love it!! And that's just with the remic'ing setting!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, e-cue said:

"we were able to raise $335,645 for worthy national charities"

Holy moley, UAD.  

Is that for the one day of  UAD plugin sales?   I know UA has  a lot of   customers worldwide and are quite popular, but that is insane.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, garybrun said:

Is the SSL and the latest Neve good?

Neve 1084 is great, different flavour to the Helios 69 or Voxbox, which is extremely useful. No UAD SSL experiences to share.

2 hours ago, Zo said:

Guyz , usually , an octo is enougth ? 

Zo, I run out of power with three Octos on a bigger sessions, but I work at 96kHz. The more the merrier 🙂. Then if you are ok with freezing or printing tracks, one Octo could suffice.

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Oceanway was more of a surprise to me. I had to work a little more to get what I was looking for cause I really didn't know what to expect.  Once I just let it go, I was able to get great results with it. Love it!! And that's just with the remic'ing setting!!

Now you got me interested again in Oceanway, Grem!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

Neve 1084 is great, different flavour to the Helios 69 or Voxbox, which is extremely useful. No UAD SSL experiences to share.

Zo, I run out of power with three Octos on a bigger sessions, but I work at 96kHz. The more the merrier 🙂. Then if you are ok with freezing or printing tracks, one Octo could suffice.

Now you got me interested again in Oceanway, Grem!

lol can't justify this amount right now , i'm thinking new system or dsp ....

20 minutes ago, Zo said:

lol can't justify this amount right now , i'm thinking new system or dsp ....

Sparingly, but usually you get more power (CPU) for your money with the system upgrade (Mac, PC) than with the UAD purchase. However what you get with UAD is IMHO worth it. You can check here the UAD plugins Instances and DSP power usage + latency: and you can select the 96kHz chart at the bottom as well.

1 minute ago, ZokZTM said:

Sparingly, but usually you get more power (CPU) for your money with the system upgrade (Mac, PC) than with the UAD purchase. However what you get with UAD is IMHO worth it. You can check here the UAD plugins Instances and DSP power usage + latency: and you can select the 96kHz chart at the bottom as well.

Yep i know the instances i always check those ;)

UAD don"t have a need to work at 96 since they oversample internaly , hence the percieved instant quality for people working under 96 .

Also more than half the plugin are availlable natively , so that's another thing in have to put in the equation , that said i have 2 systems to upgrade each time and it start to cost money , i make sure each time i do i get at least + 50 % cpu power but even ....

One reason i consider it also is console 1 witch is use quite intensively .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zo said:

Yep i know the instances i always check those ;)

UAD don"t have a need to work at 96 since they oversample internaly , hence the percieved instant quality for people working under 96 .

Also more than half the plugin are availlable natively , so that's another thing in have to put in the equation , that said i have 2 systems to upgrade each time and it start to cost money , i make sure each time i do i get at least + 50 % cpu power but even ....

One reason i consider it also is console 1 witch is use quite intensively .

Exactly! I have other reasons why I run at 96kHz. + 50% cpu power is a great way to think about upgrade as long as you aren't on the Mac... which I am. But then I add on to it with the PC server for an additional power. A good compromise of sort.

• Like 1