UAD Half Year Sale!

cclarry

I tried those at school so it s not like i gave those a real run like at home ....

but my peak if i go the 13 for 999

la2As

harrisson 32c

massive passive 

vari mu 

fairchild

distressor 

Ampex 102

avalon or manley voxbox

fatso

lex 224 or ocean ( but sunset ...)

Edited by Zo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grem said:

I have that one, and I am getting the API Vision.  I like the Neve better! But that API has very nice character too.

Still thinking about the Avalon channel strip. My third is the AMS RMX16 Reverb. Trying to decide if I want the ones I got picked or just go for all the most expensive. Think I am going with the ones I will use in the near future. I am mostly recording right now so it will be that guiding  me.

I like the Avalon much more than I expected to (it was a freebie when I bought a satellite). I haven't yet found a use for the AMS, which I foolishly bought a few months ago! I know it gets lots of love...I guess I'm just spoiled for choice with nice verbs.

• Like 1

"We struggled with whether or not to shut down our online store, but decided that a better path would be to donate 100% of Tuesday's online store proceeds to worthy organizations including Equal Justice Initiative and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund."

I'll probably put an order in tomorrow during the Blackout protest.

• Like 1

Just now, e-cue said:

"We struggled with whether or not to shut down our online store, but decided that a better path would be to donate 100% of Tuesday's online store proceeds to worthy organizations including Equal Justice Initiative and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund."

I'll probably put an order in tomorrow during the Blackout protest.

That's cool; I hadn't seen that email.

2 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

I like the Avalon much more than I expected to (it was a freebie when I bought a satellite). I haven't yet found a use for the AMS, which I foolishly bought a few months ago! I know it gets lots of love...I guess I'm just spoiled for choice with nice verbs.

Hi Craig, yes Avalon is great. With AMS RMX16, I tried the trick what I used with the Hardware in the local studio when I was starting out... Put a small AMS Room or an Ambience in combination with a bigger (like 1.8 -2.0 sec) Lex reverb (224 being my favourite or 480). It gives that dimension nothing else does.

Edited by ZokZTM

6 hours ago, Zo said:

I tried those at school so it s not like i gave those a real run like at home ....

but my peak if i go the 13 for 999

la2As

harrisson 32c

massive passive 

vari mu 

fairchild

distressor 

Ampex 102

avalon or manley voxbox

fatso

lex 224 or ocean ( but sunset ...)

Zo it's a great pick list. My personal experience Harrison, nah... Avalon or AMS Neve DFC where better choice here. API 2500 comp is great. Not a fan of Distressor either, especially if you have the 1176 on the list. Fatso or even Culture Vulture will both be cool addition. Lex 224 definite yes! But I thought Capitol Chambers was even more useful than Lex so got that first! If you have the Edu discount, you might look into the Relab VSR S24 (if you don't have it already)... Best dimension that can be had ITB from that gem. Combine it with AMS RMX 16 (see above post to Craig) and you're rocking. I'm talking from the vast experience with hardware boxes, Eventide, Lexicon Tc Electronic etc...

Also I skipped on Vari Mu as I have the PA Iron & Shadow Hills Mastering comps. Massive Passive, Ampex 102, Manley Vox Box all great choices indeed!

Just my 2 pennies...

• Great Idea 1

@ZokZTM @Craig Fowler 

Demo'd the RMX16 and really didn't like it to much. I mean it was lush, it was rich, just almost like too much. And the only good setting I found was a short room type setting that really gave it some airy space. Then seeing Zok's suggestion I will have to give that a try. 

I put RMX16, Capital Chambers, and Oceanway head to head with Waves Abbey Road Plates. I liked AR Plates the best (for what I was going for on that vocal) over RMX16 and Oceanway, but Capital Chambers really sounded nice!

Ocenway I was really looking forward to re-micing the vocals. But to be honest, it just sounded like I put a lite blanket over the vocal. So I tried IK Sunset Studio and it wasn't much better. With out either the vocal was dry, but definitely had more focus and clarity. I recorded that vocal recently with the API Vision console strip. So I am not sure if the room reflections are more pronounced now or what. I got to dig into this some more.

But I have decided that Capital Chambers is a winner!! Gonna get that one for sure.

• Like 2

I tried the API and the waves one is still great so no sure if the gap justify this pick yet  , for the 33609 , i will compare to the lindell grandpa emu (254) , the ik 33609 is great to but misses some imho ....

The capitol , well the sunset , really impressed me , so i know i'm gonna use that , same for the strips , console 1 has some superbe ones , so i try to be complentary .

The harisson is one of the best eq around (in real life ) hence my pick but i would try it first of course .

The dirstressor is imho the best emu around , including the arousor witch i do love .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZokZTM said:

@James Foxall

Hi James, was it UAD EMT 140 or 250 he used? Capitol Chambers sits great in the mix. Waves, I kind of trying to avoid...

It was the 140. :) His assistant Noel said they were super-impressed by the Abbey Roads chambers. They were using that primarily on drums, and using the Capital Chambers and EMT on other instruments.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, James Foxall said:

It was the 140. :) His assistant Noel said they were super-impressed by the Abbey Roads chambers. They were using that primarily on drums, and using the Capital Chambers and EMT on other instruments.

The waves chambers sounds superb specially the stone room , but man the cpu hit is ridiculous !!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, James Foxall said:

Thanks James! Interesting, tried UAD EMT 140 few times and was always on the fence about it. It sounds ok but never took the plunge. I love the VSR S24 so much that don't know if it's needed. Also have quite a few Waves plugins laying around which are not even installed due to their Waves Update Plan coverage policy. Must check the Abbey Road Chambers, though.

14 hours ago, Zo said:

The harisson is one of the best eq around (in real life ) hence my pick but i would try it first of course .

@Zo

Have you used the real Harrison 32 c console Zo? They were all very heavily modified and a maintenance hogs. Might have to revisit the UAD emulation as I read somewhere that it was probably modelled on the Bruce Swedien's console. That one is classic.

When tried briefly the UAD Harrison 32 it didn't do anything special for that material, preferred the Massenburg eq which is what I bought.

Edited by ZokZTM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zo said:

The dirstressor is imho the best emu around , including the arousor witch i do love .

Cool! I never did like the sound of the (brit modded) hardware units, so emulations don't interest me either. There are so many other great comps to have...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZokZTM said:

Thanks James! Interesting, tried UAD EMT 140 few times and was always on the fence about it. It sounds ok but never took the plunge. I love the VSR S24 so much that don't know if it's needed. Also have quite a few Waves plugins laying around which are not even installed due to their Waves Update Plan coverage policy. Must check the Abbey Road Chambers, though.

@Zo

Have you used the real Harrison 32 c console Zo? They were all very heavily modified and a maintenance hogs. Might have to revisit the UAD emulation as I read somewhere that it was probably modelled on the Bruce Swedien's console. That one is classic.

When tried briefly the UAD Harrison 32 it didn't do anything special for that material, preferred the Massenburg eq which is what I bought.

Yep maintenance is a pain.  So was our neve at SAE lol .... 

well the 32c eq is what i call safe eq for students , if i had to point another one that gave me the sale feeling it will be the millenia nseq 2 , it s smooth and respectuff of the source and i love the filters .

Give me the same dsp as mixbuss and i would be happy already , have you compared those two at least ?  Curious to hear you on that if so ... 

Concerning the distressor , you re actually like me , the 1176 and distressor were never my first choice for anything in studios , that said itb the distressor can do wonders when it sthe sound we need ... but not essential .

To tell the truth , more and more i m thinking on going back HW for the 2 bus for real , specially when youncan get superb stuff for honest prices and have recalls (wes audio being one option) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zo said:

Yep maintenance is a pain.  So was our neve at SAE lol .... 

Indeed, same with SSL, Carlec is a bit better.. perhaps BBC broadcast had something to do with it. Also Studer, pretty good for the age 🙂

3 hours ago, Zo said:

well the 32c eq is what i call safe eq for students , if i had to point another one that gave me the sale feeling it will be the millenia nseq 2 , it s smooth and respectuff of the source and i love the filters .

Millenia NSEQ is great, it was an instant buy, just like you've said... respectful  of the source and very nice filters. I like to use in on the orchestral stuff a lot, when sound to start with is already there, just for the extra something... Massive Passive eq works there also, it brings the wood out from the Strings in an very cool way.

3 hours ago, Zo said:

To tell the truth , more and more i m thinking on going back HW for the 2 bus for real , specially when youncan get superb stuff for honest prices and have recalls (wes audio being one option) 

I know,  I run the HW mix bus, cannot live without it. Also I like the Bettermaker stuff and almost always 19' rack HW, as 500 series counterparts  didn't ever impress me. AML  54f50 (500 series) being an exception, so far.

Just remembered where I've got a cold feet about the Harrison 32 C. It was when I tested the 500 series module... it was kind of versatile, ok filters but nothing special at all, not sounding any better than some good plugins.