2020.05 Feedback

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Tomoko Mikami which release of Cakewalk are you using? Also can you please send us a crash dump file so we can see what exactly is crashing.

@Noel Borthwick
The crash dump file was way over 4.88MB (592.3MB) so please download it from a link below.
My Cakewalk is Version 2020.05 (Build 039, 64bit)
My audio I/F is VS-100
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e5cb6c7dbb9bad99882369ccd52b180520200702001450/956e070af156866a035a4a83a06a52fd20200702001524/99e4e2

Edited by Tomoko Mikami

Been using cakewalk 1990. Never ever had a problem. Cakewalk has always run flawlessly and i usually can run many tracks and vst instruments. Until I did this last update. As soon as I installed it has become useless. Even with one track I get popping and crackling. The Engine load goes way over 100% causing late buffers just sitting there with nothing playing. Literally tried everything. From shutting any program down I could shut down, all the way to reinstalling cakewalk. Never touched any settings or added anything to the computer. Until I did the update I could run 30 tracks without a pop. Hope this gets fixed. was in the middle of a project and not sure what to do now.

Well I did the roll back with no luck. Uninstalled and deleted everything I could in registry and started fresh. The engine load shoots up to sometimes over 200% and pops start happening. If I click on timeline while its playing back automatic dropout. My whole family thinks I'm cursed so it is quite possible that at the very moment I did the update my hard drive decided its tired. That would definitely be my luck. Just strange that just before the update it was fine. What I really find strange is that I don't have to be playing back anything. Just sit there and watch the engine load go up on its own.

Look under preferences  Audio - configuration file.  Near the end Of the file is a setting called ThreadSchedulingModel.  If it is not set to 2 change it to 2 and try the song again. 2 is the most common setting. Some systems work better with 3.  You can try both.   It could have gotten changed. Hope that helps. 

6 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Look under preferences  Audio - configuration file.  Near the end Of the file is a setting called ThreadSchedulingModel.  If it is not set to 2 change it to 2 and try the song again. 2 is the most common setting. Some systems work better with 3.  You can try both.   It could have gotten changed. Hope that helps. 

Yeah I tried all of that. I've about everything I could do just short of wiping the computer clean. I just did that about 3 months ago and it take a few days to put everything back on the computer so I don't want to do that again. lol Today I downloaded reaper just to see if it did the same. It worked flawlessly. I laid down a lot of test tracks with a lot of vst instruments and barely used any cpu. No pops or dro outs. I went back to cakewalk and still ran horribly. I noticed that it shows cakewalk itself using a lot of resources when its running bad, but when actually looking at my system performance  outside of the program its barely using anything. So sad to say its something with cakewalk. Cakewalk is the only Daw I've ever used all my life so it hurt pretty bad trying out another Daw.  LOL I'll keep trying things if I can think of anything else. I refuse to give up Cakewalk.

John, usually when there are symptoms like you describe, it is an issue between Cakewalk and your audio interface. Sometimes a Windows update or other things can screw up that relationship. if you haven't already, go into Cakewalk Preferences and try switching the driver mode under playback and recording settings to something other than what it is now and apply (save) that. For example, if it is currently set to ASIO, change it to WDM/KS. After applying, switch the driver mode back to what it is now and apply again. This will force a refresh of the communication between Cakewalk and the audio interface. You may also have to restore some of the settings under Devices and Driver Settings, I don't recall if all of that is stored per driver mode. If you're lucky, this will help.

I hope you don't give up on Cakewalk too!

On 7/1/2020 at 9:38 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Tomoko Mikami which release of Cakewalk are you using? Also can you please send us a crash dump file so we can see what exactly is crashing.

I rolled back to 2020.04 and it happened again. so it's not the 2020.05 issue!?
I'm guessing the latest windows update may be concerning.
It also happens in a different audio interface too. so it's no the audio driver issue either.

59 minutes ago, Tomoko Mikami said:

It also happens in a different audio interface too. so it's no the audio driver issue either.

I’m sorry if you already mentioned it, I don’t remember.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled your audio driver? Have you checked for others with your driver on your current win10 build? I've heard the 2004 has "broken" a number of things.

I can’t say firsthand as I'm gratefully trapped at win8.1

Hi @Noel Borthwick ! I'd like to update my post related to audio info missing on the bottom of Media Browser, as I finally rolled back to 2020.04 update. On this previous version audio info appears normally on Media Browser, but when I update to 2020.05 it disappears!

Also I tried to find out what app could be using audio files, as you suggested, but on Windows 10 Task Manager I couldn't find any process related (basic level user here!).
However one day before I noticed this issue I did some VHS digitalization with simple video capture interface and Honestech software, I don't know if it could be related. 

Thanks for your attention!

Best regards 

Edited by mgustavo

On 7/3/2020 at 11:23 PM, Tomoko Mikami said:

@Tomoko Mikami is this happening for you in every project or just a specific one?

13 hours ago, Tomoko Mikami said:

@Kevin Perry @Keni @Noel Borthwick

I tried to roll back to the last windows version and failed. I happen to initialize my wiondows and seems like it's running fine so far.
I'm preventing from the latest windows update but it automatically updates when I have to reboot my PC by installing necessary apps so I'm scared now.

@Tomoko Mikami Thanks for sending your dump file. It appears to be crashing in some Windows message processing stuff so that's strange.

So just CTRL-Clicking a MIDI clip on the track will crash for you? 
Can you reproduce this in any project or only one specific one? Also check if clicking on any clip causes this.
If its project specific please share the project file with instructions on how to reproduce.

Also can you try dragging some MIDI from the media browser to the same track and see if that works ok?

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Tomoko Mikami Thanks for sending your dump file. It appears to be crashing in some Windows message processing stuff so that's strange.

So just CTRL-Clicking a MIDI clip on the track will crash for you? 
Can you reproduce this in any project or only one specific one? Also check if clicking on any clip causes this.
If its project specific please share the project file with instructions on how to reproduce.

Also can you try dragging some MIDI from the media browser to the same track and see if that works ok?

@Noel Borthwick @msmcleodThanks for your feedback. yes, just Ctrl+single clicking causes a crash.
I tried on an audio clip and it did too. 
It's not a specific project but in any projects. even the brand new project with only few midi notes without a plug-in.

I can't reproduce the situation now because my PC has been initialized and been working fine so far.
So I'm not sure about dragging MIDI from media browser, sorry. 
Not sure what happens when I update my Windows10 again. I'll have to reboot my pc soon or later though. 

2020.05 is not working correctly with Bus automation. Many times I add an automation envelope to my main output bus. Even though the envelope shows the current level, the volume widget shows -INF, as soon as I hit play. 

If I use this widget to write new envelope nodes with my mouse I can hear the sound, but as soon as I let the mouse go the volume jumps back down to -INF. I also tried this on my template. I then went back to 2020.04 and it worked fine.

I have envelopes all over my buses. Volume, special effects, track plugin parameters. Sometimes as 5 or more. Don’t know your experience level but - There is Output volume  And input gain.  Could a second env have control?

You could try and delete all Env on that bus. Edit-> select special Click env’s. Then add back output volumes where you want them to be. Be sure OutpVlm is set to 0.0. Click edit filter choose bus output volume. Then put your nodes on the volume env line and move them where you need them to be. 

Max Arwood 

Thanks Max, it turns out now I can't get it to misbehave. I know I closed and reopened CbB and it still did it. Then I again closed and reopened and tried it on a blank template  - it did it. I then tried 2020.04 and it was fine. 

I thought sure I rebooted the computer, maybe I didn't but now it's not doing this. Sorry for the false alarm. But thank also for the cool tip of delete all Env on that bus. Edit-> select special Click env’s. I've used that for tracks but not a bus. That's a handy trick. If it does happen again that will be the first thing I try