2020.05 Feedback

10 hours ago, Keni said:

No. This keeps happening to me as well. For no visible reason, sometimes it opens enabled and sometimes not here too.

Yea i'm not sure you read my whole comment.

22 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

EDIT- Never mind, just read Marks post.

Referring to this...

On 6/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, msmcleod said:

The show Aim Assist Time however, doesn't seem to be being stored anywhere, which is why it's behaving randomly.

This will be fixed for the next release so it behaves like the Aim Assist on/off - so it will be global and remember its state from the last time you used it.

New find - 

Last night I was doing a bunch of MIDI editing - when I noticed the MIDI track in PVR had no keyboard on left side. It only had some tiny numbers.  I finally figured it out - that track was frozen. Is that new? Can we get the Keyboard back? I was trying to calculate home harmonies, but no keyboard.

Max Arwood

Bit of UI weirdness has shown up in 2020.05 build 039.

I have a project saved with multiple tabs open in the Multidock. Open it, display the Console, save the project.

Close and reopen the project, and the Tempo window is displayed in the Multidock (or whatever the rightmost tab in the list happens to be), even though the Console tab is the selected one (no black line above it, has the close tab 'x' on it).

Touching the Console tab fixes the issue.

Running nVidia driver 432.00 on a GTX750, haven't changed either in probably a year. FWIW.

image.png.bc10ebf06e5fedce0761c61f961ec5dd.png

Effortless workflow.

Not exaggerating. These two words could not possibly be further from the truth. Each and every little action I do in the process of making music on CbB is a torturous cumbersome struggle. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted CbB to be my new forever DAW. I was so excited when I discovered it. I was telling my friends about it. Even got one friend to start using it. It has so many cool features but the effort I have to put to do things that really should be effortless and intuitive, are just not. Even after I learn them, they are still awkward. (Even the name is unintuitive: CbB??? Why CbB?? I had to ask what it meant. Now I know, Cakewalk by Bandlab but who cares who made it? Do other DAWS go by StudioOne by Presonus? S1bP? LbA? PTbS? WTH? How bout CW? or CB? or just Cake? Jeez. Making something simple complicated).

Last night, I literally spent more than an hour trying to export a short clip of audio from a couple of soloed tracks. Sometimes I would get an empty bounce, sometimes I had sound. And I couldn't figure out why one time it worked and one time it didn't. Wasted SO MUCH time working on this song.  SO MANY HOURS GONE trying to figure stuff out or fix weird happenings.

I just updated CbB to the latest in the hopes of fixing a MAJOR glitch problem that may or may not be attributed to CbB so that's when I saw this graphic during the update and felt compelled to write this post. This DAW is ANYTHING but effortless. Reaper might not be as pretty but it has a lot of great and intuitive features. You should take notes from them. I'm going back to Reaper.

The whole time I was writing this, I was installing the update. By the time I finished, this is what I returned to:
image.png.3da55a6aad038cb3afe0620cf6f300da.png
Apparently, it's stuck so I either have to reupdate or I don't know what. It didn't update successfully.

Edited by Helos Bonos

I noticed that with the .05 release, I can no longer select all tracks and make CTRL-Click changes to settings in the ProChannel.  Open and Close of PC still works but when I go to the Console Emulation and try to even do something as simple as turn it on, all the on buttons show selected but only the channel where I actually click turns on. Same thing if I select a console type ... the main reason I know this worked previously was I recently did this in a project prior to the .05 release and it worked beautifully (ps - this is a real pain on projects with a massive amount of tracks)

One note on this - apparently, the Power On worked with CTRL-Click but selecting the type of Console Emulation does not.  Thanks.

Edited by Chris Knowles
additional information

@Helos Bonos not wanting to speak for the BandLab folks here but a little history might help understand the naming - Originally, Cakewalk was its own company and they had several variants of their DAW.  Their Sonar product (of which I was a user since v1) was an outstanding DAW and the fact that it was only available on Windows AND that it was very affordable was attractive to us with small budgets.

That being said, the naming issue came about because Gibson purchased Cakewalk and was simply planning on dumping the entire DAW business (see http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement) This announcement sent many of us into a complete rage (and of course forced us to really question Cakewalk's commitment to their customers by leaving all of us in this incredible lurch)

BandLab came to our rescue and (at the time) offered many of us a lifetime single payment (I think mine was $39.99 USD) for support as "Early Adopters" and funders of the purchase of the software rights from Gibson.  We still lost some benefits of course, like some of the plugins that we had purchased on their subscription program. Regardless, if it wasn't for BandLab, we would have been just left dangling (which is why I will NEVER purchase a Gibson product, EVER)

My guess is that they wanted to preserve the naming but couldn't keep the name by itself due to trademark issues hence Cakewalk by BandLab was born.

Sorry you're having such problems with it but there are some great resources on YouTube that provide excellent education in addition to the manuals.

See

Mike Enjo https://www.creativesauce.net

Rob McClellan https://www.homestudiosimplified.com/

These guys create a lot of great FREE educational content about CbB and hopefully, this will help you see the beauty and simplicity of the platform (Ps. neither of these guys get ANY support from BandLab for what they do)

I hope this helps and keeps you on this wonderful platform (even with the kludgy-ness of some of the features)

Edited by Chris Knowles
clarity - nope clarity not necessary :)

@Chris Knowles Thank you for the explanation.

I have seen many videos from both the guys you mentioned. Mike is really great. But he even prefers Studio One over CbB.

I have used CBB for at least two songs and a third now that I'm having major glitch issues with. But I'm telling you every little thing I do is a struggle. I can point out many things I like about CBB but probably just as many things I don't. I can best describe CBB as "clunky". Here's one little example: When using the sequencer, you left click to turn on a note but you have to right click to turn it off. OMG that is so annoying and unintuitive. Other programs, click on, click off.

I started a new project in Reaper last night. I can only describe it as a relief. No problems, no issues. One new feature that I found unintuitive. But overall I was glad to be back. Maybe it's because I've been using it longer? But I don't remember ever struggling with Reaper the way I do with CBB. Yeah, it's not as pretty as CBB but at least now I can make music!

1 hour ago, Helos Bonos said:

I started a new project in Reaper last night. I can only describe it as a relief.  Yeah, it's not as pretty as CBB but at least now I can make music!

This is exactly why one should test several DAW:s before deciding which one to use. One might suit you, another one might not. :D

I myself tried Ableton Live when Gibson went bust - I make electronic dance music after all - and within 10 minutes I was swearing. You can't customize keyboard shortcuts!?  (But I've been told since it's supposedly possible. But even with a lot of Googling and manual reading I could not at the time figure out how that was done!) What I would change? In Live, to show the browser, you press CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + B. I kid you not. In Cakewalk it's just "B". Also, multi-monitor support in Live is extremely unflexible, it's obviously made for a single laptop screen.

So, what I'm trying to say: horses for courses, to each their own, different strokes, etc.

Best of luck with your music!

(Sorry, this discussion should probably not be in the "2020.05 Feedback" thread.)

Edited by GreenLight

27 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

(Sorry, this discussion should probably not be in the "2020.05 Feedback" thread.)

I figured my rant was a form of feedback and figured it was the most appropriate place to put it.

I appreciate your feedback. I agree. I started with AcidDJ but didn't want to pay for Sony Acid to upgrade. I ended up messing around with Reaper but never liked the interface.

1. I did the 30 day trial of Cubase. Some things on there annoyed me.
  2. I tried messing with Presonus Studio One. Seems intuitive but I am not ready to drop the cash for the version I wanted. The cheaper version was way too limited.
  3. I tried Harrison Mixbus which only cost me $29. Hated it. Nice interface though. I forgot what I didn't like about it.
  4. I tried Tracktion T7, the free DAW by Waveform. I liked it but it had a lot of bugs. I upgraded to Waveform 9. Still had issues. They gave me a free upgrade to 10. More bugs. I REALLY liked that DAW. It was easy to use and nice interface but it was so buggy. I had to recreate corrupted projects a few times. Much as I liked that DAW, I had to swear it off. NO MORE. I gave it so many chances.
  5. On to CbB. Same deal. Wrestling with a lot of issues waiting for things to get smooth. Nope.
  6. I was considering trying Ableton. I've seen many videos using it and it seems pretty intuitive but I ain't dropping $500 just now.
  7. Don't even wanna mess with FL. I also heard it's not good with recording audio.
  8. I would probably be using Logic as that seems the most intuitive DAW with a nice clean interface however, I cannot stand and will not use Apple products so that's out.
  9. I'd love to check out Digital Performer by MOTU but that too, is expensive.

So here we are, full circle, back to Reaper. For now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, Lars Rosenquist said:

Hi all,

I'm having terrible UI performance since the last update (installed today), particularly when playing. CPU usage appears to be well within limits (32%-ish), audio doesn't skip (runs beautifully actually), it's just that the UI becomes unresponsive, esp. over time. Any hints/suggestions as to what I could try?

EDIT: Haven't seen the problem anymore after rolling back to 2020.04 and reinstalling 2020.05.

Do you have the recommended cumulative windows updates installed? 

2 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Do you have the recommended cumulative windows updates installed? 

This might actually be a thing...  I recently upgraded from an i5 to the equivalent i7 on my "bedroom" desktop.  This PC is completely up to date with 1909 updates (2004 won't install, but that's another issue....)

Now my Studio PC is an exact clone of this machine (even down to cloning the BIOS chips so they have the same serial nos), but I've not cloned the drives for a month.

I upgraded my Studio PC to an i7 this afternoon, but haven't yet imaged the drives with the new updates, and the difference in UI performance is very noticeable - i.e. the Studio PC is much more sluggish than my other PC.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Correction. I mistook this thread for the "Feedback Loop" so you're right. I posted in the wrong forum. I just saw the word feedback and didn't pay attention to the 2020.05. Sorry.

@GreenLight I used the wrong quote. Corrected now. Should make sense now.

Edited by Helos Bonos
  • Like 1

Firstly, whatever DAW you find that best meets your needs, and feels like a good fit - THAT is the DAW to go with.  We all have our own ways of approaching music production, and we all have different levels of technical awareness, different sorts of 3rd-party plugins, and preferences, etc....

SO - my thought would be, that whatever DAW you happen to be in, getting the tracks recorded, at decent levels, so that you can move on to mix, seems pretty universally common-sensical, and in the mixing phase of a project, plugins work the same - same knobs etc., whichever DAW they are in, and such.  And then any differences for editing functionality, automation, and all that - the different DAW suites DO present similar funactionality, with differences in how tasks are accomplished, and lastly, in general terms, one might be easier to do some audio-related tasks, while another may excel at doing things with MIDI data.

I would say, as an observation in general,  that someone trying to force any of the DAW programs to do things that it wasn't meant to do, or finding fault with any of them because something did not go as expected, when insufficient consultation with the avaiable documentation, can be rather unfair, if that is how somebody is approaching using any one of the DAW products.  Each of them does do things a bit differently, so even if someone has some level of understanding of one or more of them, and tries to brute force one that they are not familiar with, to try to do something - when they have not bothered to even take a cursory tour of either the DAW or its documentation - well, that to me would be expected to result in less than the ideal or desired outcome.

At the end of the day, whatever it all distills down to, for each of us, is what matters, so whatever anyone's choice, or choices, ends up being - WAHOO!  Make music and be happy in doing it, and sharing it.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

I appreciate your feedback. I agree. I started with AcidDJ but didn't want to pay for Sony Acid to upgrade. I ended up messing around with Reaper but never liked the interface.

So here we are, full circle, back to Reaper. For now.

You have most certainly done your homework, impressive research! 😀

Learning a DAW takes time and is an investment, so changing is not something most people do lightly. I'm always amazed by how many people actually know and use multiple DAWs, so I've always thought I should learn Live, but I've never really found the time to dig deep - I want to spend the time making music, not learning software. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GreenLight said:

You have most certainly done your homework, impressive research! 😀

Learning a DAW takes time and is an investment, so changing is not something most people do lightly. I'm always amazed by how many people actually know and use multiple DAWs, so I've always thought I should learn Live, but I've never really found the time to dig deep - I want to spend the time making music, not learning software. :)

I totally hear you an that. My problem is there are certain features from each DAW that I really like, other features that I HATE and are deal breakers. So it's hard for me to decide on which features are most important and which I'll just have to live with. So far though, Reaper seems to offer the most for the price. I don't have a step sequencer which bums me out. And all those Groove Agent Drum Doctor things in other DAWs would be nice but I program my own drums anyway. Maybe a bit more cumbersome and time consuming. And I'll miss the really nice console found in some DAWs including CbB. AND the ProChannel. So it's always gonna be a trade off. I'll really miss the vertical line on the cursor in Waveform which makes it so easy to know where you are clicking or slicing. The perfect DAW just does not exist. But at least now I can get back to making music. Until I can afford to try Ableton or Digital Performer. Maybe one of these paid DAWs is the answer? I always feel like I'm missing out on a really good workflow of another DAW that I havne't tried. So frustrating!

2 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

I totally hear you an that. My problem is there are certain features from each DAW that I really like, other features that I HATE and are deal breakers. So it's hard for me to decide on which features are most important and which I'll just have to live with. So far though, Reaper seems to offer the most for the price. I don't have a step sequencer which bums me out. And all those Groove Agent Drum Doctor things in other DAWs would be nice but I program my own drums anyway. Maybe a bit more cumbersome and time consuming. And I'll miss the really nice console found in some DAWs including CbB. AND the ProChannel. So it's always gonna be a trade off. I'll really miss the vertical line on the cursor in Waveform which makes it so easy to know where you are clicking or slicing. The perfect DAW just does not exist. But at least now I can get back to making music. Until I can afford to try Ableton or Digital Performer. Maybe one of these paid DAWs is the answer? I always feel like I'm missing out on a really good workflow of another DAW that I havne't tried. So frustrating!

I, too, own multiple DAW products - Pro Tools, Ableton, Studio One, FL Studio, Cakewalk, and as you say, each have their strengths and weaknesses, or differences.

What some folks do, is to use multiple DAW products to work on a given project - doing the midi work in one, some of the audio work in another, perhaps a 3rd for some of the editing or sequencing, etc.....

The products are tools, and having and using them does not have to be exclusive one versus another - you can do some of the work in one, and some of the work in another.

Bob Bone

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1