2020.05 Feedback

@User 905133Thanks for the update. Model 3 has indeed been updated and we spent a lot of time tweaking it and fixing issues. It could be a combination of factors that lead to improved performance however. If you had a slower PC the UI improvements could be helping a lot. There are fewer messages and switching workspaces minimize UI updates. 
I'm curious however if you see a difference if you switch the model to 2 as opposed to 3. Performance is very system dependent, so its very hard to predict a best case solution which is why we have the different modes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think you need to copy the tracks & buses separately as the track view & mains view are separate sources / destinations.

2020.05 makes it easier to copy bus envelopes to tracks (and vice versa), but the downside of this is that it will paste the bus envelopes in the selected tracks if you set them as the destination.

You'll notice that you needed to manually select the master bus when doing a select all on the track view. This is because the tracks are a different source than the mains.

When you selected track one for pasting, it set the tracks view as the destination, so everything was pasted to the tracks.

Now I'm not saying that what you're experiencing is the correct behaviour, but this is the reason why its happening.  I'll discuss with the team as to what we think should be the rules if the clipboard contains both track & bus data.

[Edit] - For the specific case shown, Duplicate Selected Clips  ( CTRL + D ) might be a better solution. This has special logic to ensure the paste destination always matches the source.  Also once duplicated,  the selection contains the copy - so it should be easy to drag to the desired position.

@msmcleod Regarding to this issue. Take a quick look if you disable the "blue pre loop indicators" if it solve this problem. When "Copying" tracks by drag and drop - you have to set that pre loop indicator's to you desired selection, in order to copy only what you want it to copy. I think this came with when the arranger was introduced. Now - I might be wrong with this, but I had a work around/something similar before  regarding this. 

Have to go sit later to with this again. I might have used the Ctrl+D shortcut. Wish I was home right now. 

13 hours ago, Maxim Vasilyev said:

Hello.
In version 2020.05, when copying the entire project, including the volume envelope on the master bus, this volume envelope is transferred from the master bus to some tracks.
All tracks in the project go to the master bus and it is not clear by what rules the envelopes appear on the tracks.
If there are several buses in the project and there is a volume envelope on them, then it is copied from the lower bus bus to the tracks.
If you copy by dragging and dropping the entire project using Ctrl + C, then the volume envelope is copied to the master bus, but it is also added to other tracks.
And if the project has an aux track with automation of the volume envelope, then this envelope and the entire project are copied normally, but the volume envelope is not copied to the master bus, even though this envelope was selected during copying.
Is this just happening to me?

To make it clear what I'm talking about, here is a link to the video.

Hi @Maxim Vasilyev

Today copy and paste to tracks and buses is only designed to paste either track automation OR bus automation, not both types simultaneously. It decides what data to paste based on the target pane you are pasting to (track or bus). 

Your problem case only happens if you have an instrument track selected AND a bus selected. When you copy this and paste to a track its trying to paste both the instrument track and the bus automation to the target track. This confuses the code causing it to paste the synth envelope to the wrong place. What should happen in this case is it should only paste the bus envelope to the target track. I will fix it for the next release. 

If you wish to copy both track and bus automation do it in two steps. i.e Copy bus envelopes and paste them, then do the same steps for track envelopes.
Alternatively you can use the new arrangement section move and copy tools that should handle copying and pasting automation across both tracks and buses simultaneously.  We are working on improvements in this area to make dealing with automation easier to use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have projects where I have dragged the synth rack down to the console panel (so it becomes an extra tab there).

When loading the project, the UI shows the synth rack, even though the Console tab is selected. I have to manually click the console tab to see it.

image.png.887eaeaa4287ec1bc07e03ccc76eb25d.png

Edited by Funk

Hi I updated to 2020.05 yesterday, and since then, track scrolling hangs randomly.

In other words, turn scroll wheel and nothing happens. Then it will start to work.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

17 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm curious however if you see a difference if you switch the model to 2 as opposed to 3. Performance is very system dependent, so its very hard to predict a best case solution which is why we have the different modes.

Thanks for the additional details; they make sense. I was all tested out yesterday. I did some brief comparisons between the models, with different ASIO latency settings while looking at CPU % in task manager, with my PatchMix DSP mixer visible and hidden, switching workspaces, opening MSPaint (to save screen shots), etc.  

Models 1 and 2 worked on my system previously; so, since 3 was problematic, that was the big change.  I will be doing more fine tuning and will try to see if I have any noticeable differences between 2 and 3.  Yesterday, I didn't notice any--that's why I wondered if 3 was bypassed based on some characteristic of my system.

19 hours ago, gamo sphere said:

Refresch activation 

1)  Why?

2)  What's the impact of not doing it?

I'm holding a little  before doing the installation.

Mario

@gamo sphereYou are overthinking it. Refresh activation is optional for the case when you need to reactivate the software. Similar to how many plugins allow activation. 

Hi all,

I'm having terrible UI performance since the last update (installed today), particularly when playing. CPU usage appears to be well within limits (32%-ish), audio doesn't skip (runs beautifully actually), it's just that the UI becomes unresponsive, esp. over time. Any hints/suggestions as to what I could try?

EDIT: Haven't seen the problem anymore after rolling back to 2020.04 and reinstalling 2020.05.

Edited by Lars Rosenquist
  • Like 1

oNE would think it would make sense when you zoom with a control surface that it will center ware the timeline is. Nope!!

You would think that would be an obvious feature. The latest updates took this option away. Why??  When you zoom, you want to see the zoom in the center, right?

When you zoom, don't you want to see ware you are zooming?  Why was a decision made to not have it centered with the timeline? 

Re offline activation -

Could not the exchange of activation request file and the activation response be done via a web-browser and the Bandlab website, as it used to be done back in the days of Sonar ?

It would be perfect for those of us who use Windows offline for our DAW and Linux for internet use.

It appears that without being able to download the installer executable and then transfer it to an offline computer, that the new offline activation feature is a fudge at best.

Or have I misunderstood how it works ?

On 6/6/2020 at 1:46 AM, Randy said:

Hi I updated to 2020.05 yesterday, and since then, track scrolling hangs randomly.

In other words, turn scroll wheel and nothing happens. Then it will start to work.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

On 6/6/2020 at 5:01 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Are you scrolling the track view or console?

If you are over an effects rack it will scroll the rack now. And if over a control it scrolls the control. Please read the release notes.

HI Noel, I am in track view. Scrolling hangs intermittently when mouse cursor is placed over the track strips.

However, when I place it over the clips pane, it always seems to work, weird.

1.) Still the project does not save the setting "Show Aim Assist Time" (I like it always enabled). When I open any project, sometimes it is disabled, sometimes it is enabled (randomly).

2.) +3dB weirdness:

I have reported this several times and it is still valid: Having a softsynth (AD2) with several audio outputs, some mono (interleave and synth output=mono, e.g. kick, snare), some stereo (e.g. overhead) and having their volume level set to my taste, then when I freeze the synth/tracks all mono tracks increase their volume about +3dB! This makes the combination of mixing and freezing painful!

Even more strange: If I copy a frozen mono clip to a new mono track, then the level is correct (+0dB), i.e. like pre-freeze (preconditioned that the volume of the new track is set to the same value). It is the same behaviour when I export the clip from the original track (+3dB) and from the new mono track (+0dB) to a file.

I can handle the fact that exporting a stereo track as mono increases +3dB, this is logical. But the story above is obfuscating! 😉 Freezing should never change any level!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, marled said:

2.) +3dB weirdness:

I have reported this several times and it is still valid: Having a softsynth (AD2) with several audio outputs, some mono (interleave and synth output=mono, e.g. kick, snare), some stereo (e.g. overhead) and having their volume level set to my taste, then when I freeze the synth/tracks all mono tracks increase their volume about +3dB! This makes the combination of mixing and freezing painful!

Does the gain value change after freeze? Or is it at the same level, but you can just observe on the meters (and/or hear!) that it's 3dB louder?

Does it happen all the time for all soft synths, or just ones with multiple outputs?

EDIT: I saw this thread about the issue, where you participated. But it seems that no project was sent to Noel for reproduction of the error? If you did that, I think they could probably find the issue! 🙂

Edited by GreenLight
Spelling

Hello hows it going ? hope everything is fine there.

Im having CPU spikes (100%) when opening and closing also when disable and re-enabling the plugins in real time (while playing) to make A/B comparisions, and that causes horrible clips and noises, sometimes it even freezes the session. This happens even with UAD plugins.

Another issue is with the CPU thread balancing, i have to turn it off to be able to use some plugins like izotope because if i set it on and try to open izotope imager or exiter for example it can freeze the system with a loud buzz sound till i restart cakewalk, its very strange behaviour and i think both problems has to do with CPU sheduling/balancing on or off, with it ON  its much worse.

Anyone knows if this kind of problem has been reported in previous versions?

Or any way to fix it?

thanks

16 minutes ago, Tim Davila said:

Hello hows it going ? hope everything is fine there.

Im having CPU spikes (100%) when opening and closing also when disable and re-enabling the plugins in real time (while playing) to make A/B comparisions, and that causes horrible clips and noises, sometimes it even freezes the session. This happens even with UAD plugins.

Another issue is with the CPU thread balancing, i have to turn it off to be able to use some plugins like izotope because if i set it on and try to open izotope imager or exiter for example it can freeze the system with a loud buzz sound till i restart cakewalk, its very strange behaviour and i think both problems has to do with CPU sheduling/balancing on or off, with it ON  its much worse.

Anyone knows if this kind of problem has been reported in previous versions?

Or any way to fix it?

thanks

If you are getting noises when opening the plugin UI those are problems with the plugin and should be reported to the plug-in vendor.
The same applies with plug-in load balancing on. If the plugin's do not support it properly you shouldn't use that feature.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you are getting noises when opening the plugin UI those are problems with the plugin and should be reported to the plug-in vendor.
The same applies with plug-in load balancing on. If the plugin's do not support it properly you shouldn't use that feature.

Hummm  the latest sonar platinum version doesn't show such behaviour with the same plugins, i tried cakewalk model 3 thread scheduling (it was set to one for some reason), and the problem is less aparent but still some glitches.

Hope this can be investigated and fixed for future updates, if you need anything to help in this investigation let me know, I've worked some years with QA for software development in kunos simulazioni, maybe i can help to find the root of the issue 

Cheers and thanks

Edited by Tim Davila

6 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Does the gain value change after freeze?

Yes for mono output tracks (interleave=mono and vsti mono-output).

Or is it at the same level, but you can just observe on the meters (and/or hear!) that it's 3dB louder?

The meters show about +3dB level increase and the same is valid for file export.

Does it happen all the time for all soft synths, or just ones with multiple outputs?

Yes, it happens with all soft synths when you use a mono output.

EDIT: I saw this thread about the issue, where you participated. But it seems that no project was sent to Noel for reproduction of the error? If you did that, I think they could probably find the issue! 🙂

I had invested some time to create a simple project with all the explanation and I had sent it to BandLab (request  243054, December 19).

• Like 1