importing midi issue

kyrillos

Hello guys newbie here.
i have some midi files which i wrote on muse score and saved it as midi files. i am trying to put them together in cake walk to get a better instrument result.
when i import the file it gives no sound. after a lot of research i figured out how to get sound but only with default vst.
is there any way i can play and change the file sound and try different instruments
thanks a lot
Kyrillos

While you can double-click on a midi file to get Cakewalk to automatically set up things to play that midi file using TTS-1, I almost never do that, unless I just want to get a quick and dirty listen to the file.

What I normally do is to load up whatever soft synths I think I would like to use, into the synth rack, which is part of the Browser Pane, and I load an instrument into each of those soft synths. 

I usually manually insert the audio and midi tracks needed, for the midi data, and set the inputs on the audio tracks to pick up the output from each of the loaded synths, and I set the outputs for the midi tracks to the corresponding soft synth. 

If I am using a soft synth that can play different instruments on different midi channels - in a single instance of the synth, like Kontakt, I also set the Midi Output Channel on each of the midi tracks that are triggering sounds from the instruments loaded into Kontakt, to the corresponding midi channel of each instrument in the Kontakt instance.

SO, if I have 3 soft synths loaded intro the synth rack, SI-Piano, SI-Drums, and SI-Strings, I would set up 3 midi tracks, and either 3 or 6 audio tracks (3 stereo audio tracks, or a left and right audio track for picking up the audio output from the 3 soft synths.

Each midi track would have the Input set to None (Omni), and its output would be set to one of the 3 soft synths.

For the audio tracks, assuming I just went with 3 stereo audio tracks, I would set the Input for each audio track to pick up the stereo output from one of the 3 soft synths.  If I instead had used 6 audio tracks (3 pairs of left and right mono tracks, panned appropriately), I would set the Input of each pair of left and right audio tracks to pick up the output - one of them to the Left mono output from one of the soft synths, and the other Input would be set to the Right mono output from one of the soft synths.

The Output routing assignments for the audio tracks, in this example, are just left to default to the Master Bus.  (If I wanted to set up additional buses I could route the audio output of the tracks to some other bus, if desired, and then those buses would route their output to the Master bus).

After finishing the above setup, I can then either create midi and record that to populate the different midi tracks with data, or - per your example - I could import a midi file to each of the 3 midi tracks.  Because I have set it up with 1) a soft synth, 2) a midi track sending its data to a soft synth, and 3) one or two audio tracks that pick up the audio output from a soft synth, and 4) midi tracks that are populated with midi data - either created in the project, or imported to the midi tracks, I am in business.  When I hit Play, the midi data will get sent to the 3 soft synths, which will produce audio output from being triggered by the midi data, and the audio tracks will pick up the audio output from the soft synths, and route the sound to the Master bus.

You can replace synths or change instruments/presets in a given soft synth instance, without having to do any of the above setup again.  You would just be sending the midi data to whatever soft synth your midi track(s) point to.  If you right-clck on a midi track, there is an option to Replace Synthfor that trackm and it is a painless operation to do that.

Bob Bone

50 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

I usually manually insert the audio and midi tracks needed, for the midi data, and set the inputs on the audio tracks to pick up the output from each of the loaded synths, and I set the outputs for the midi tracks to the corresponding soft synth. 

thanks a lot this was the trick it worked :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kyrillos said:

thanks a lot this was the trick it worked :)

The Insert Soft Synth dialog box allows you to set options to automatically do things like insert a midi track, as well as one or more audio tracks. I just generally choose to add tracks manually, so HOW the tracks get inserted is a matter of personal preference, but in any case, you have to end up with a synth, a midi track that sends data to that synth, and one or more audio tracks that pick up the output of the synth.

Bob Bone 

• Like 1