Split parts from an arrangement in Cakewalk?

jono grant

Hi, wondering if there's a way to split parts from one midi track onto different tracks.

So: play chords on one track, then split them into separate parts on other tracks. If the biggest chord has 5 voices, you'd end up with 5 tracks with a voice on each.

A CAL script or something?  I know you can split notes to tracks but then you get a track for every note you played.

I just want to write some horn lines all at once and break them up and transpose later.

Thanks

Jono

A CAL script would probably do it... but it would be fairly complicated tho.

The split notes to tracks script is probably the place to start, but the logic will be different. 

The way I would approach it would be to give it a max number of tracks, then go through and individually move the top notes to the 1st track.  I'd store the start time/duration of the moved note, so I would skip the others at the same time period (leaving them for the next "round").  Making sure you always get the top note might be tricky, but I guess you could read a maximum of n number of notes and choose the highest one.

Then rewind and repeat for the 2nd track, and so on.

The logic described above may sound a bit weird... but CAL is no normal scripting language!

Yikes! Yeah, I'd considered something like that..

I wish someone could create a plugin or something that just does that one thing. 

When I do it manually, I copy each part as many times as there are voices, and then just go through from the top down and delete the unwanted notes on each.

If a human can do it, a computer can do it faster! It would just need a little window with some options to check or not check. 

This would be so useful for composers.  The tools they have now are good for drum part separating but not for multi-voice music.

Thanks

MIDI, I assume.
You could record the part on 5 tracks at once and delete the unwanted notes in each track.
That is, if you have an idea that you're going to want to do that in advance.
Or, clone the track X number of times and delete, etc.
It seems like it would be easier to select a note on the PRV keyboard, hit delete and go on to the next track than it would be to selectively move notes to other tracks four or five times.

• Like 1