Cakewalk Bandlab Audio Buggy?

S K

6 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

That would be the video i made.

What's the difference between the original track and one that has melodyne edits done to it ? There's no degeneration between the original clip and a Melodyne clip. Unless you just feel more comfortable using the original clip (which are saved in your projects audio folder by the way.

Freezing multiple melodyne region FX is only going to cause problems down the road, You'll see.

There's a good reason The "Bounce to clips" and "Render Region FX" option is there. If it was useless, everyone would be freezing their tracks instead.

I see your point. My concern was not so much degeneration of the clip after bounce. I'm more concerned with sometimes you just want to remove all Melo edits and start over on a particular part. Can't do that once it's bounced unless there's a way to bounce it to a separate track and retain the original clip with the Melo edits.

What is wrong with freezing Melo edited tracks? As I mentioned, sometimes I want to go back to the track and make some more edits. If I Render Region FX, doesn't that bounce that clip into a new clip and you no longer have the original?

Of course, I can always Bounce to Clip when I am completely satisfied with the edits and ready to mix and still retain the original track and just mute it. I just never want to lose access to the original track with the Melo edits on it.

54 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

What is wrong with freezing Melo edited tracks?

Users have made note in the past freezing too many region FX/Melodyne edits has caused instability.

55 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

If I Render Region FX, doesn't that bounce that clip into a new clip and you no longer have the original?

The original wave is always stored in your projects working audio folder.

56 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

Of course, I can always Bounce to Clip when I am completely satisfied with the edits and ready to mix and still retain the original track and just mute it. I just never want to lose access to the original track with the Melo edits on it.

The way i have always looked at Melodyne clips is something close to fixing something that's not right. I'm not worried about using Melodyne on something that needed to fixed in the first place. In most cases, i'd rather re-record a track if its that bad, however i can re-open a Region FX clip as many times as i want so how necessary is it to go back to the original wave file ? Unless of course i am experimenting on a clip and screw it up so bad I need to restart all over, how many times has that happened to me ? 1 out of 100 times. And more often than not i realize how foolish the melodyne edit sounds before i close the project and undo everything.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:33 AM, S K said:

That reminds me actually, I've had awful problems with take lanes too - trying to choose a certain take lane but it plays anotehr one, then doubles up etc.. nightmare.

If this is using the Smart Tool, if you haven't already, you might try experimenting with right-clicking on the Smart Tool button and turning off the Smart/Comp function for a while and see if it helps. I prefer having Smart/Comp on sometimes and off other times because it always assumes I want to be working in that mode.

Just to clarify the possible issues with freezing Region FX like Melodyne....

When a track is frozen, Melodyne's state is saved to a subdirectory within your project's directory.

For the most part this is fine, but should you update/upgrade Melodyne at some point, there's no guarantee that it will reload the state successfully when you unfreeze.

If I want to keep my original audio track, what I do is:

• Freeze the track with Melodyne on it
  • CTRL + SHIFT + drag the audio to a new audio track
  • Unfreeze the track with Melodyne on it
  • Remove the region fx
  • Archive the original track

Doing this ensures there's no Melodyne instance data saved with my project, and I'm free to create a new region fx with whatever version of Melodyne I may have in the future.

Normal VST effects and VSTi synths don't have this problem as the way they store their parameters is very different.

• Like 1