Tool to normalize a mix

tomixornot

Question

Being with Sonar since the X days, but I've never done this within Sonar / CbB.

After a mix is finished, I would export the wave file out and use Audacity's Normalize tool to bring it to -1 db.

What would be the tool to use within CbB itself ? or.. a plugin is required ?

Is -1 db a good finished audio ?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, tomixornot said:

Thanks Chappel.

I'm trying to normalized the mix which is not printed to a track yet, meaning I have to export it out as a file first, then re imports it. 

To do it in one go.. one still need to print the mix as a track, right ? Just trying to get the standard step to do this.

I have used it to normalize audio in audio tracks and am not aware of any other use for it. So, yes, you will have to bounce what you want normalized to a track, as far as I know. You might be able to achieve similar results by using a compressor in the master, or other bus, but this is not something I have had much experience with. I have a lot of effects from previous versions of Cakewalk so I'm not really sure what comes with Cakewalk for Bandlab so I can't recommend a specific tool for the job.

I suggest you bounce your tracks to a stereo track instead of exporting/importing. It's simpler and easier. For more information you can download the Cakewalk Reference File PDF file.  The answers to many Cakewalk problems can usually be found there. For sure knowing how to bounce multiple tracks into one track is an important thing to know how to do.

Thanks Chappel.

I'm trying to normalized the mix which is not printed to a track yet, meaning I have to export it out as a file first, then re imports it. 

To do it in one go.. one still need to print the mix as a track, right ? Just trying to get the standard step to do this.