Scaler 2 upgrade avail now at $19

lawajava

Fooled around with this for a few hours last night.  I didn't own Scaler 1 so I don't know what is new.

I put in simple chord progressions and then did different voicings.  I have never seen anything that provides so many options. Not just simple inversions, like EZKeys.  Different voicings is my favorite thing about the NI picked series, but this has so much more and this will allow me to do it with any library.  One of the coolest is that it can take all your chords and put a single bass note underneath each one.  That's a new one for me. This changes all of them into very complex chords.  And you don't just put a C under a progression in the key of C--you can put an E under it and it gets reeally weird.   It's amazing how much you can do with this just by putting in a few chords and then experimenting.  Maybe too amazing, as I could get lost in it.   

The onboard instruments are remarkably good.  I highly recommend downloading them as they help you get the most out of it.  For example, the guitars are the best way to test the strumming options.  But seriously there are a diverse set of sounds, from synth pads to orchestral that quickly show you how these musical progressions can work.

Then I tried all the auto-player stuff.  There's so many  greato-soundingoptions and a lot of them are terrific. At its heart, this is very similar to the kind of tech in EZKeys and ujam instruments.   You also don't need to put chords on the pads (like ujam, not like toontrack)  You can just play chords and it will auto-play them. 

The only thing I found weird was their naming system, which is classical music-oriented.  Maybe not the most intuitive language for the punters?  I would rather have teir phrases  be genre based.   Scaler 2 offers you a bunch of bossa nova chord progressions.  It would be cool to put a guitar on them and then play them with bossa nova phrases.  But I don't want to complain about something that is really great and adds to all the other innovations in arps out there from Sonuscore and others.

But it is a beast.  I have a lot to learn.  All of you who had Scaler 1 are way ahead of me, I'm sure.   

I think I will continue to make music and writing songs the way I always have.     But once I am far along in a piece, I will put my existing  chord progression in here and see if I can get some new ideas for accompaniment or voicing.  Same thing with EZBass.

These are two purchases that I don't think were just GAS.  I really can see me using them all the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

The only thing I found weird was their naming system, which is classical music-oriented.  Maybe not the most intuitive language for the punters?  I would rather have teir phrases  be genre based.   Scaler 2 offers you a bunch of bossa nova chord progressions.  It would be cool to put a guitar on them and then play them with bossa nova phrases.  But I don't want to complain about something that is really great and adds to all the other innovations in arps out there from Sonuscore and others.

But it is a beast.  I have a lot to learn.  All of you who had Scaler 1 are way ahead of me, I'm sure.   

Those phrases/expressions are new to Scaler 2.

During the beta they started out with what I recall as random made up names.  They they grouped those names into categories for "slow" and "fast" type of options.

The more recent betas changed to what we have now.  I agree the names/language there isn't idea l for the main audience.

Sounds like you already get it as much or more so than many Scaler 1 users.  

I've only scratched the surface of what it can do, and find it very useful.      It is the kind of tool that is missing from Cakewalk, and I'm glad it is at a very reasonable price point.   And the re-sizable interface is also world s better than the tiny ez keys.

1 hour ago, Onovoid said:

Get new freebie  next  monday

Thought about this too, but after months and months of waiting for this to drop had to be a day one purchase for me.  In fact it was a day before day one with the early release.  

If the freebie next moth is good.  Chances are we will find some $1-3 item to get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onovoid said:

Get new freebie  next  monday

My thinking too. They missed so many supposed release dates for this that I became bored of waiting, so a few more days to see if it might come with a freebie that is worth having is really not a problem for me at this stage.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Michael A.D. said:

Uh oh... lots of crashes with Scaler 2.  (I never had a single crash with the original Scaler.)

I suggest saving often because you ARE going to crash. 

There's LOTS of complaints on the Scaler community board:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/scaler-2-crash/3195

Note, they also just relased a update in your PB account to address the issue.

• Thanks 1

Yep, version 2.04, except I only just downloaded the buggy one (ver 2.03) 711mb, that's going to cost me another $2.00 to download the one that is alleged to work, in addition to the original $30.00 for the program. Sounds like nit picking but I am hating Australia's exchange rate at the moment on everything. Think I might wait to see if there is an avalanche of bug reports on this version before downloading.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1