Cover of Spaceman by Believable Picnic

Blades

Hello all,

So, if you have followed me at all, you will know that I have been around here a long time but that I have been recording my songs in Studio One since the "Gibson Event".

You also know that I've said I'd record my next song back over in Cakewalk.  And I have. 

This time it is a cover of a song by a band called Believable Picnic.  I hope you will venture over to my blog where I've outlined how I recorded it, what was used, etc.  I look forward to your comments, if any.

https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/spaceman

• Like 1

Cool song  - I'm not familiar with the original. The mix sounds great - very nice job there.

It's interesting in your blog how you moved to Presonus after the Gibson fiasco - at the time I just decided to wait to see what was going to happen - I'm glad I did because I love using Cakewalk.

Thanks Douglas.  I have a lot of reasons why I went with Studio One at the time and I wanted to come back to Cakewalk to see how it felt now that I've been away from it for a while.  I was a VERY involved supporter of Sonar over the years and participant in the forum here (and before especially).  In fact, the community is one of the things that is worth sticking around for - the Presonus forums are nowhere near as community focused.

I don't want this post to turn into my Cakewalk vs. Studio One thing!  

So - thanks for listening and for your comment on the mix.  I appreciate you taking the time.

This is the original, by the way:

Great job!

On 5/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, Blades said:

don't want this post to turn into a Cakewalk vs. Studio One thing

good luck there, I just didn't "bond" with any of the others DAWS I tried.
But to be honest, once a workflow is ingrained. well you get the picture...

tom

A DAW by any other name is.....

just a DAW.

Back on topic. The recording was nice. The song was nice. The performances were nice. Drums were a tad dry for my taste but I'm sure the general public audience will not notice/care. 😉 

Hey bapu.  Thanks for the feedback.  Drums are a little dry to me too, but that is the flavor of the song to a degree. I actually added a bit of verb to the snare and Tom's in addition to what was in the "room mics" and made them a bit more likely than the original recording.  The name of the kit I built on the Mimic is "raw" for a reason 😁.

Thanks for the listen!

Edited by Blades