Let The Son Shine Down On Me - Joshua Barnes

Ruralrocker2010

All, 

Been about 3 years since I've posted. I've come back, hopefully to be more regular. I've quite missed my Cakewalkers and as things would have it - I've lost my old login since we converted over to BandLab. Life's been busy and it's been very hard to get back into music. 

Let The Son Shine Down On Me

I'm looking for production, mixing, arrangement and full critiques. I feel like I'm blind to this now and just can't see past the emotion I have over the song. Those who know me, know, I will not be offended by your critique and your preferences may shed some light into my own view of the art. So feel free to say positive, negative or neutral things, but, I do ask that you be specific; that's all! 

Thank you!

Edited by Ruralrocker2010

20 hours ago, Ruralrocker2010 said:

well, this is awkward! 

Forum has been pretty quiet the last two days, give it some time.

You've got a pretty strong chorus here (and that's what counts; right?)
The guitar (solid tone there, IMHO) drew me right in.
If I'm mixing I'd bring the vocal up a bit I think, make the lyrical message a bit easier
to decipher (maybe its just these battered old ears).
Do we need something more in the rhythm section; piano, a B3? Maybe?
There's times when the bass is holding it down, then the kick, but a lack of
solid cohesion I think. Or its just me; take it with a grain of salt as they say.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, Ruralrocker2010 said:

looking for production, mixing, arrangement and full critiques

I'm going to agree, I don't think you're done just yet, the
Let The Son Shine On Me - 3rd Final MixDown, not withstanding...

tom

and I'd be remiss if I didn't say Welcome Back!

Joshua, it's good to hear from you again.  This is a solid song, and your voice seems as strong as ever.  As Tom noted above, it's just a bit short of excellence right now, but a little massaging would make this stellar.  The arrangement is good, and that may be your strength.  I'll always be grateful in your help in arranging my song "The Devil's In My House", which helped quite a bit.  If you're still in the KC area, I'm still here, too.  Hope you and your family are doing well!

The song is really good but the mix needs some work.  I'm not the one to ask for mixing advice but
my impressions are that there's kind of an overall muddy sound to the production and the vocal needs to stand out more.  But don't get me wrong,  I like the song!