Import a bunch of images at once

AugerJ

Hello. Is there a way to import to a theme several edited images at once?

Or is this tedious one-by-one method as good as it gets?

Is there a possibility to open a theme file in an archiver, extract  it to a folder  accessible by Windows Explorer and then pack it back after you're done making changes?

7 hours ago, AugerJ said:

Is there a possibility to open a theme file in an archiver, extract  it to a folder  accessible by Windows Explorer and then pack it back after you're done making changes?

I just dabble with the theme editor, so I will defer to the experts.  However, with my limited experience, I did something that >>might<< fit what you describe, but only (1) if you are talking about exporting some elements from one or more themes and then importing them into another theme and (2) if the elements are compatible (e.g., the same dimensions).

You could also be trying to do something totally different; I'm not sure.

For example, I have some customized themes that only over ride some elements of a factory theme. So, when the Arranger track came out (which changed the size/layout) of a number of elements, I was able to import my tweaks onto the new factory theme because there were no size/dimension incompatibilities.

Another example I haven't tried yet: I like some elements others have in their themes--so I plan to try to borrow those and build my own set of overrides so I can apply them to other themes.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, AugerJ said:

Q1: No.

Q2: Yes.

Q3: Yes. I use Restorator 2018, which still requires the one-by-one method.*

Panup is working on a 3rd party editor that may allow drag-n-drop and bulk dumps in the future.  Duckbar

*Edit: With a resource editor like Restorator, it IS possible to extract an entire folder (PNG, Bitmap, etc.) from your theme file (sth, fth, dll, etc.) to your HDD, edit the files, then import the entire folder back into the theme file by drag-n-drop.

This gives you access to every image in the GUI whereas TE does not. However, you can't edit item "colors" w/o a degree in rocketry. TE is the best tool for that, even over Preferences.

Edited by sjoens

If there’s one thing the Theme Editor has been sorely missing since day one, it’s a way to dump all images in a theme in a structured format onto your drive. I have used a numbered folder structure in File Explorer that mimics the order found in the Theme Editor tree-view to make the images organized and easy to find (partly seen in the image below). But of course it’s only practical to export one folder at a time. An export/import batch function that kept the internal tree-view structure would help a lot.

hDf3c6R.png

If the goal is to have an element browser from which we can put check marks next to elements and the press "OK" so that all of the checked elements override the theme currently in the Theme Editor, I think I'd use that, too!

At present I override elements (as noted above) by using saved sets--such as my "Scrabble for Juniors" style midi track control icons [I, O, C, P, B] set.

image.png.574b33aad77857ac5e9a567d42d51cf7.png

Keep in mind each theme has 1000 + PNGs and 500 + Bitmaps (tho most bitmaps are non-used carryovers from older Sonar versions).

TE assigns a name to it's images but they are actually numbered in the theme file. So extracting them with a resource editor requires a bit of work to figure out what they are.

TE can export an image by right-clicking and saving it. Importing it requires the exact same dimensions.

You can REsize an image in TE by double-clicking it, which opens it in your photo editor. Simply resize it, save it, click "Refresh" in TE and your done.

Edited by sjoens
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

You can REsize an image in TE by double-clicking it, which opens it in your photo editor. Simply resize it, save it, click "Refresh" in TE and your done.

Interesting idea.  I thought resizing images would cause problems for the UI's stability so I never tried it. But as my eyes continue to age I might explore expanding the size of frequently used / hard to read elements.  More research needed. 

Intuitively I suspect that trying to enlarge the buttons so they match the double sized icons won't work, but based on your suggestion its worth it to me to try.

image.png.d1eb798a30b890332fd462bc1f1ecd6e.png

EDIT: Suspicion confirmed:

image.png.6468498b44973ca24199a0d5ae907b85.png

Edited by User 905133
to confirm suspicion

7 hours ago, sjoens said:

Resizing renders mixed results. As with all things, proceed with caution. Each image behaves differently in Cakewalk so you'll need to experiment.

Very true! It would be easy enough to have a limited, dedicated workspace with the larger "Scrabble-for-Juniors" I, O, C, B, P icons but the normal-sized track control buttons just for the times I am setting those. Thanks for leading me to this option-for-aging-eyes.