Control surface plug-in for Behringer X-Touch Compact

PaulCW

I wanted something to do during the lockdown so I started looking at the Cakewalk control surface SDK. I own a Behringer X-Touch Compact and only meant to put a few tweaks in the Mackie Control plug-in specifically for it, but then mission creep took over in a big way and I ended up with something that’s more like a separate plug-in in its own right. I also wrote a program called XTCview, which is an enhanced version of BCFview (the program that went with the older BCF2000 control surface to emulate the Mackie Control’s display) because using a control surface without a display is pretty challenging once you get into plug-ins and all the various shift states.

If anyone’s interested, I’ve attached an introduction and an almost-completed quick reference guide. I’m really happy with the way it’s turned out, but like most things it’s a question of balancing many different conflicting requirements so you may not be so happy with my choices. Let me know if you might have considered using it but for something that really annoys you because at this stage I might still be open to suggestions. And as you’ll see, there are still some open slots in the M1/M2 shift matrix on page 2 of the guide so I’m taking requests for those too.

I’ve tested with Cakewalk by BandLab on Windows 7/64 and 10/64 and Sonar Platinum on Windows 7/64. I have also built 32-bit versions but have not been able to test them on a 32-bit OS.

I will open-source it eventually, but for now if anyone wants the plug-in with XTCview and/or the source code then just ask and I’ll gladly send it to you once I’ve finished up a few final things and I’m completely satisfied with the way it’s working (probably a week or so). I’m also planning on doing a complete revision of the help file but that will have to come later.

About me: I’m a retired software professional with 35 years of experience in C/C++, although I did spend the later years of my career working more with C# so my C/Win32 is a bit rusty and that probably shows in my code.

Introduction to the Behringer X-Touch Compact Control Surface Plug-In.pdf Quick Reference Guide.pdf

• Like 6
  • Great Idea 1

Great work! Special thanks for detailed information concerning fader calibration. I have made my preset strictly "remotely" (not seeing/touching the device), so I was not aware such problem exists

The only general suggesting about functionality: original Mackie was using "direct" API for controlling plug-ins, there was no ProChannel but (fixed positioned) "effects". Cakewalk has switched to ACT mapping approach at VS-700 (and other Roland surfaces) time. There was nasty bug in maps saving for several years, but last Platinum and CbB do not have it. I mean uniform way to control Synth/FX/ProChannel and standard control learning procedure is better (AutoMap, NKS and VIP use the same idea for controlling).

• 3 months later...

This looks excellent. I'd like to get a copy of it to try with my X-Touch Compact. Even though it's still a work in progress.

The default Mackie Control doesn't not make as much use of all the pot's & buttons as this version does.

A suggestion for one of the unallocated buttons:

The current MMcL controller has a keypress combo  M4+F1/Cut  which reloads the MackieControl.INI file.  The X-Touch Compact doesn't have these buttons, so it would be nice if you could assign it to one of your unallocated  M1+ or M2+ key combinations.

Reloading the MackieControl.INI file is useful if you are editing the INI file  to add a new plug-in or    fine-tuning which pots work with an existing  plug-in.    Normally you have to restart Cakewalk after each edit.

• Like 1

Apart from it's COM UUID, since the beginning of this year, there's no difference between Cakewalk's MackieControl and the MMcL MackieControl.

The only reason to use the MMcL MackieControl DLL is if you want an additional Mackie compatible surface to work alongside (but independently) to existing surface using the Cakewalk MackieControl.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 12:18 AM, PaulCW said:

I wanted something to do during the lockdown so I started looking at the Cakewalk control surface SDK. I own a Behringer X-Touch Compact and only meant to put a few tweaks in the Mackie Control plug-in specifically for it, but then mission creep took over in a big way and I ended up with something that’s more like a separate plug-in in its own right. I also wrote a program called XTCview, which is an enhanced version of BCFview (the program that went with the older BCF2000 control surface to emulate the Mackie Control’s display) because using a control surface without a display is pretty challenging once you get into plug-ins and all the various shift states.

If anyone’s interested, I’ve attached an introduction and an almost-completed quick reference guide. I’m really happy with the way it’s turned out, but like most things it’s a question of balancing many different conflicting requirements so you may not be so happy with my choices. Let me know if you might have considered using it but for something that really annoys you because at this stage I might still be open to suggestions. And as you’ll see, there are still some open slots in the M1/M2 shift matrix on page 2 of the guide so I’m taking requests for those too.

I’ve tested with Cakewalk by BandLab on Windows 7/64 and 10/64 and Sonar Platinum on Windows 7/64. I have also built 32-bit versions but have not been able to test them on a 32-bit OS.

I will open-source it eventually, but for now if anyone wants the plug-in with XTCview and/or the source code then just ask and I’ll gladly send it to you once I’ve finished up a few final things and I’m completely satisfied with the way it’s working (probably a week or so). I’m also planning on doing a complete revision of the help file but that will have to come later.

About me: I’m a retired software professional with 35 years of experience in C/C++, although I did spend the later years of my career working more with C# so my C/Win32 is a bit rusty and that probably shows in my code.

Introduction to the Behringer X-Touch Compact Control Surface Plug-In.pdf 81.62 kB · 15 downloads Quick Reference Guide.pdf 2.12 MB · 17 downloads

I'd really love too try this out if possible :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, PaulCW said:

Introduction to the Behringer X-Touch Compact Control Surface Plug-In.pdf 81.62 kB · 41 downloads Quick Reference Guide.pdf 2.12 MB · 36 downloads

Can you send to me? ldcsurveying@yahoo.com

I was very happy to see this until I saw the date.  I tend to get lost in the details of Cakewalk/XTC configuration.  I rarely use the XTC for this reason.  I would love to get the device into my workflow.  Is there a Cakewalk/XTC for dummies reference out there??

Sorry to proliferate a old topic.

Thanks,

On 12/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, kzmaier said:

I was very happy to see this until I saw the date.  I tend to get lost in the details of Cakewalk/XTC configuration.  I rarely use the XTC for this reason.  I would love to get the device into my workflow.  Is there a Cakewalk/XTC for dummies reference out there??

Sorry to proliferate a old topic.

Thanks,

If you are blind, there is related solution: https://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,346.0.html
But since LEDs make no sense in such case, the device stay dark all the time (and there is no on-screen display). So the solution is far from perfect for majority of users.
Well, you may find interesting to work just with audio feedback: you can stay away from the computer monitor nor look at XTC, and still have all important information...