Cannot open soft synth interfaces

ClarkPlaysGuitar

Question

I cannot open the interface for Addictive Keys, M-Tron Pro, True Pianos (CW), or any software instrument. This started with just one synth, on just one song, and now appears to be all software instruments in a bunch of the songs I have recorded. I'm certain there is some setting somewhere that I have inadvertently changed, but I am at a complete loss as to what and where it might be. The video shows the interface opening in a test project, which currently seems to be the only one that allows me to open any soft synth.  This occurred in a matter of hours, earlier today. No programs added, no updates performed, just working away and it would open earlier in the day, then it wouldn't.

UPDATE: I tried inserting a new instance of M-Tron pro, and while it would create the track, initially it would not open the instrument interface. The same was true with a couple other instruments. Then I got pissed and just started inserting every single instrument I have, and on about the 8th or 9th instrument the interface opened up. Then any new instance of the original instruments that were giving me trouble would open, but not the originals. I don't know all the settings that I had on each of the original instruments or else I would just drag the midi clip onto the new instance & go. I need to open the original instances to tweak the settings just a bit, I'm still baffled.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ClarkPlaysGuitar

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Try closing Sonar/CbB, then restart using RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jon. No luck, however.   The really weird thing is that today, when I insert another instrument, the interfaces all open, except for M-tron pro, until I have 8 additional tracks, then M-tron Pro will open normally. And I'm not doing anything different when I insert each instance. Really baffling.

Well folks, we'll see if my fix holds. I ended up completely reinstalling M-Tron Pro, and that seems to have fixed the issue with that track.  And now that I have done that, Addictive Keys & Strum Session also open just fine. I don't understand  the relationship, but whatever, lol. I'm able to get back to work now.

It went back to doing the same thing, mid session. I had not closed & reopened, I had not saved, just edited sounds for a bit. Then boom! None of the soft instruments would open. So I tried inserting new instruments, and like before, the first 7 would not open. Upon inserting an 8th instrument, that one would open. It does not matter which 7 I insert first, none of them will work, and it does not matter which instrument I insert as the 8th. It & any subsequent instrument will work. Crazy.

So then I tried opening the tune in safe mode. All soft synth interfaces open fine, so I saved & reopened in normal mode. At the moment everything is working ok. We'll see how it goes.

Nope. Back to not being able to open them. I tried safe mode again, loading only one specific instrument & absolutely no other plug-ins, and still cannot open the interface for existing software instruments.  I've been fighting this for two days now, and I'm done for a while. I'll try again later in the week.

Seriously thinking about dumping Cakewalk. It has been so weird and glitchy for me on this album, and I have spent many, many more hours trying to fix Cakewalk issues than I have recording and mixing.