Clicks & noisy FX plugins when tempo changes

Jan Deeben

Question

Hi guys, I'm running into a problem that was already addressed in SONAR  X3, but apparently still occurs:  While working on a track that includes various tempo changes, clicks as well as noise coming from FX plugins can be heard. Unfortunately also when exporting audio.

In an earlier post I read that this could happen when using FX plugins which are tempo driven. I notice I have tiny clicks on tempo changes even when all FX are disabled. When enabling the plugins (especially reverbs like TAL Reverb and/or EasyReverb) the noise gets worse. I have the idea that these reverb plugins just process the clicks that were heard at tempo changes.

Does anyone have an idea on how to work around / fix this? 

3 answers to this question

That can happen when some effects has any delay or rate parameters that is synced to the tempo and the project has tempo changes therein.

As far as clicks during tempo changes when effects are disabled.....  this might depend on the "Stretch Method" settings in Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording.   Try different settings see if it makes any difference.

@Promidi thank you for the quick answer. I'm not aware of TAL Reverb and EasyReverb do have any delay or rate parameters that are synched upon tempo changes. Some of the synths I use in my track do, but they don't seem to be casuing the problem. For the FX plugins I disabled 'configure as tempo-based effect' and 'enable delay compensation' in the VST Plugin Properties, but this does not help.

Regarding the "Stretch method": I'm not (yet) working with WAV files in my track. Not sure if changing the stretch method would also help on MIDI tracks, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Even if you're using MIDI, you may still be using VSTi synths that use samples.  These VSTi synths may have internal effects that have tempo based delay.

An example I am thinking of is Rapture Pro.  If this particular synth has a patch that uses Rapture Pro's internal delay effect and that delay's time is synced to the tempo, it will produce audible clicks at the tempo changes.  Other synths may have the same issue as well.

It really depends of the VSTi's you are using.