How do get the last version of Cakewalk for Windows 7?

David Owen

I'm trying to update an older version of Cakewalk by Bandlab on my 
Windows 7 laptop, but it isn't able to detect and show the last version that was used for Windows 7.  Is there a location to download it.  

Thanks for any assistance!

Groovus

It's partly because Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, partly down to us not having the resources to test unsupported OS's, but mostly down to future development being potentially held back due to older operating systems.

• Meh 1

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It's partly because Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, partly down to us not having the resources to test unsupported OS's, but mostly down to future development being potentially held back due to older operating systems.

Please, please, please can somebody fix the undo synth unfreeze bug that hides the synth track before it's no longer possible to install on win7. TIA.😊

• 1 year later...

I have the version 2020.11 (build 099) 64 bit, but now when I launched the program after a long break, I saw notice of an available update. I tried to install it, but once it was ready to go after download I got another message that it's not supported by Windows 7. Is that true that the latest updates won't work in Win 7 anymore at all like the one I have? I remember even the one I have was not "officially" compatible or supported by Windows 7, but practically it was all fine. Is it the same with the latest updates, or is Win7 now completely incompatible?

On 8/27/2021 at 9:51 AM, Simple Verse said:

I have the version 2020.11 (build 099) 64 bit, but now when I launched the program after a long break, I saw notice of an available update. I tried to install it, but once it was ready to go after download I got another message that it's not supported by Windows 7. Is that true that the latest updates won't work in Win 7 anymore at all like the one I have? I remember even the one I have was not "officially" compatible or supported by Windows 7, but practically it was all fine. Is it the same with the latest updates, or is Win7 now completely incompatible?

At some point Cakewalk MAY not be compatible with Windows 7.  At this point, the developers do not do any testing on Win 7 so there could be issues now or in the future that could be related to running Cakewalk on the older version of windows.

That being said, the installer will install the latest version on Win 7, but you do so at your own risk.  I have not update my OS to Win 10 as of yet and I have not found any major problems with running Cakewalk with Win 7.   A minor glitch here and there but nothing that has not been documented in the forums.

If you do run into problems there with all ways be the disclaimer stated about Win 7  not being supported . . .   Just say'n . . .   So far I still running Win 7 with Cake . . .

And as always, there is usually an installer available to revert to the last (previous) version.   Keep in mind if your version is older (like a year for example)  there may not be one (last version installer) available.  So since you have installed the latest (I believe that is what you indicated), if the next version does not work for you, you could come back to whatever you just installed.

Hope that helps with your question. 

Syphus

16 hours ago, Syphus said:

...At this point, the developers do not do any testing on Win 7 ...as of yet and I have not found any major problems with running Cakewalk with Win 7. ..

I'm using Windows 7 too. I guess it's us who do the testing.

• Haha 2

Thanks for the replies and insights. Where do you obtain those old (or even the latest) installation .exe files as  a separate files that can be stored somewhere? And activated without Internet connection?

The activation request was another issue I came across after the long break. I though once it's activated it will remain so forever. Even if I don't use the PC for a year or two. But it was not the case. And I had some problems signing in through the log in box popping up on the launch. However, I managed to activate it after or alongside the aborted update procedure. So I must look for off-line activation in case I lose internet connection at some point. Look up Cyber Polygon simulation event that took place on 9th of July, last month. If global cyber attacks will take place and the system will collapse it's good to have something to do at home, like making music with activated tools;)

Edited by Simple Verse

12 hours ago, Kev said:

I'm using Windows 7 too. I guess it's us who do the testing.

Yup.

Still on 2020.09 here anyway, so aside from one bug fix that I have given up asking for now, not really a big deal for me if it stops working on 7 at any point.

I still have W7 computer that was built by me to be my DAW machine. It rarely saw the internet and ran Sonar 8.5. It’s in the closet right now but a while ago I fired it up and it still works.   I put CbB on it then and had no issues but it was real slow!

I disconnected the C drive ( 7200) and put a SSD drive in it. I managed to install windows 10 for free using the W7 license.  What a difference those things made. But I’m keeping the W7 drive as a last resort if things go sideways with Cakewalk 

That’s one of the things we over look. W10 and CbB is much more responsive. 

14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

That’s one of the things we over look. W10 and CbB is much more responsive. 

Maybe it was the SSD alone that made the difference? I thought Win10 is slower in every sense, unless you debloat it.

However, maybe I should make another topic of this, but I found this article where it says the activation must be done every 6 months?!
 What about the off-line activation. I haven't found the instructions.

No   Cakewalk is optimized for W10  and there’s been many changes since W10 came out to both. Cakewalk is a windows only DAW so it’s very integrated to windows. You would really notice a difference if you brought everything up to date. 
The other day I had to fire up my Windows XP machine to print CDs. My printer is that old.  Man is that slow. W10 is probably the best OS in my lifetime and I really have no issues. Because people complained I think they backed off on the bloat ware so that’s old info. 
I only keep my old OS systems going because of hardware compatibility issues. I would not want to go back to W7 for daily tasks. It too slow. 

• 1 month later...

I had to re-activate Cakewalk today in order to continue to use it. This required that I download an update. As a result, Cakewalk no longer works on my Windows 7 machine. I see the user interface, the controls operate, but I can no longer get audio from it.

Edited by Jim Kelley
typo, added more info

@Jim Kelley - I've got the latest version of Cakewalk ( 2021.09.145 )  running on my Windows 7 64 boot, with no issues.

If you're having issues, I'd check the following:

1. Make sure Windows 7 is fully up to date with Windows updates

2. Ensure you've got the latest VC++ redists installed. The latest ones can be found here:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-160

You'll want to install the x64 version of the redists for "Visual Studio 2012",  "Visual Studio 2013" and "Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022"

3. Ensure you've got TLS1.2 enabled as default for Cakewalk authorisation to work:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392 . 
Assuming you're up to date with Windows Updates, you can jump directly to the "Easy Fix" section on this page:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392#bkmk_easy

• Like 1