Feature Request: (text) Notes panel

John Bradley

4 hours ago, John Bradley said:

The Notes panel should ideally a) have a scroll bar when the content exceeds the visible height, and b) be scrollable with the mouse wheel (when editing the text).

I agree with (b) as I suggested previously.  We can scroll with the mouse wheel while reading, but once we go to edit, we have to use up/down buttons. Personal preference, but I would like the mouse wheel for both, not a scroll bar for reading and mouse control for editing.

EDIT: There is a scroll bar for read mode.

Edited by User 905133
to add info about the scroll bar
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got nothing to add to this feature request save agreement, but I was wondering if you, my fellow notez nutz knew about other places you can make annotations in Cakewalk.

I ask because I keep stumbling upon them, to my delight. So far I know about of course the Notes panel you are discussing, the big box in the Take Lanes headers, and my most recent discovery, Track and Bus Inspector/Properties/Description. Got any more?

I guess having an entire separate Lyrics Track that can be linked to a MIDI track is pretty special.

I'm used to DAW's not having places to make notes and using MNotepad.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I ask because I keep stumbling upon them, to my delight. So far I know about of course the Notes panel you are discussing, the big box in the Take Lanes headers, and my most recent discovery, Track and Bus Inspector/Properties/Description. Got any more?

Thanks for summarizing this.  As an avid note taker, I tend to use the Notes scratchpad (usually docked on the right, though I know it can be floated, put into the multi-dock, etc.).  I am aware of (and have tested) Track Lanes Notes scratch pad and the Inspector Description field but have yet to integrate them into my workflow.

For audio tapes (family oral history tapes), I have extensively used Markers as very specific notes (content, possible ideas for editing and clean-up, etc.).*

I have not used the Lyrics Track in over a decade.  I do have MNotepad (a licensed version), but haven't integrated that into my workflow yet.

*Oh--I believe it was scook who posted a link to a utility for pulling out markers into a csv file. I tested importing a set of markers into an *.ods file but haven't made regular use of it. 

PS: Thanks for mentioning MNotepad!! I only tested it once before but took another look at it just now.  It looks handy. I see it has 2 ins and 2 outs; will have to read the manual!!!  

Edited by User 905133
To add a TY for reminding me about MNotepad
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I see it has 2 ins and 2 outs; will have to read the manual

No doubt so you can use as a series effect on a stereo track. Now you've made me curious: I want to see if MNotepad has any of the usual Meldaproduction way-too-many features like mid-side or oversampling or multiparameters.

Maybe I'll try putting it on a bus and using it as a send effect.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

No doubt so you can use as a series effect on a stereo track. Now you've made me curious: I want to see if MNotepad has any of the usual Meldaproduction way-too-many features like mid-side or oversampling or multiparameters.

Maybe I'll try putting it on a bus and using it as a send effect.

Hmmmmm.  Now you have me thinking of possibilities--triggered pop-up notes as track-embedded reminders??????   

Oh--I did see the other day that evidently there is some sort of patch switching capabilities; not sure how I stumbled onto that--maybe the midi settings.

Edited by User 905133
To add a memory about patches
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought of that. Creating and saving presets in MNotepad. Which also makes me realize that this is possible to do with Track Templates and could be a good idea for memory jogging.

Also, I tried putting MNotepad on a track and opening the automation lane to see what parameters were exposed, and in addition to Preset Change, and Bypass, it lists Scroll. That might be handy for displaying lyrics while tracking vocals, which is something I found Cakewalk's Lyrics View to be....unsuited to my needs. To say the least.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Great Idea 2

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I just put in some random "words" (Large 4) and tested a scroll automation lane.  Not sure how I would it, but it works!!!

Wow - this works a treat if you dock the plugin in the multi-dock.

• Great Idea 1