Simple BBC SO Discover Template

BBC SO Discover Template for Cakewalk:

For those who have Cakewalk and bought or grabbed Spitfire's BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover for free, I created a simple Template to load all the instruments of the Orchestra with instrument icons, family colors, the tracks all named and separated in folders. There is no mystery. It is very basic. Just to have a starting point and not spend more than 2 hours assembling everything before starting to create music.

Note: This consumes about 5.72 gigs of RAM to load all instruments.

Note 2: If you make modifications to the template, it is better to leave the .png image next to the .cwt file when doing SAVE if you still want it to appear as a Template icon on the Cakewalk home screen.

------

(PT-BR)

Template BBC SO Discover para Cakewalk:

Para quem tem o Cakewalk e comprou ou pegou de graça o BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover da Spitfire, eu montei um Template simples para carregar todos os instrumentos da Orquestra com ícones de instrumentos, cores das famílias, as tracks todas nomeadas e separadas em pastas. Não tem mistério. É bem básico mesmo para ter um ponto de partida e não ficar gastando mais de 2 horas montando tudo antes de começar a criar música.

Obs: Deve consumir uns 5,72 gigas da memória RAM para carregar todos os instrumentos.

Obs 2: Se você fizer modificações no template, é melhor deixar a imagem .png junto do arquivo .cwt quando fizer o SAVE se ainda quiser ela aparecendo como ícone do Template na tela de início do Cakewalk.

---

973943490_BBCSODiscoverimage-asset.thumb.jpeg.01f1c25873a7b5721a1b9caf0a729476.jpeg

Thanks to the user @Matthew Sorrels for the track icons and for the other Template ;)

Spitfire BBC SO Discover - Cakewalk Template.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Curious question though...  Why not make each instrument a "simple instrument track" and avoid having to make an audio and a midi track for each?  It would cut the template in half, and I can't see any functional limitations.

Edited by DocBob

21 hours ago, DocBob said:

Curious question though...  Why not make each instrument a "simple instrument track" and avoid having to make an audio and a midi track for each?  It would cut the template in half, and I can't see any functional limitations.

Use my full BBC SO template.  It works with Discover and in fact gives you more articulations, though they don't play "correctly" as part of Spitfire's compatibility thing.  So you can exchange things with say teachers/etc. 

I even stripped it down for just what's in Discover

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

I signed up, but still don't know what to do? It said something about filling 14 days after you completed your application. 

What Application?

Max Arwood

"Log in (or create a new account), fill out our questionnaire, and we'll send you a FREE download after 14 days"

I clicked the free link, created an account, filled out the questionnaire, and about 2 weeks later I got the download link 😀

If mentioning an application I believe they are referring to a completed questionnaire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks @Promidi. I tried that but it didn't work. What I've also noticed is that, when I do add the image, an asterisk doesn't appear in the title bar to show that the file has been edited, even when I "run as administrator". Having said that, the image is still in the "notes" after restarting CbB but it doesn't appear on the start screen for my template. It's the recommended size too, 600 x 600.

I'm rather confused 😳

I just tried it here and it worked fine.  This is with Cakewalk by Bandlab 2023.09 Build 62.

I copied the BBCSO Discover.cwt to my Projects Templates folder as defined in Preferences - File - Folder Locations > Templates

Enabled the start screen (I do not have this enabled for my day to day).

Closed and reopened CbB.  The “New” section indeed showed the correct image for the BBCSO Discover template.

I think the asterisk doesn't appear in the title bar to show that the file has been edited is probably because the same image is already in the template and technically, and file has not changed.

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble @Promidi. I think I have not been concise in my question. I have made my own template and I wanted an image to be associated with it. The image for the BBCSO Discover template works fine for me too but I just can't get my image associated with my template using the described method. I am also using Cakewalk by Bandlab 2023.09 Build 62.

Sorry for the confusion 😳

I tried it here as well.  Could not get it to work with a template.  Projects work fine, just not project templates.

I even tried loading the BBCSO PNG file from the template zip file - nada!

Must be a bug.  (can't even try a previous version of CbB)

FWIW you could log a ticket with CW support.  Mind you, I don't hold much hope, as this version of CbB might not get any more fixes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

Hi Patrick, could you tell me how to associate the png file with the template so that appears on the CbB welcome screen please? 

image.png.f56ebb47a85d1d1480523ef052d96f21.png

Both Template File and PNG picture Must have the same name in the same folder.

If you edit the template, remove old picture, add this in the Notes and save.

image.png.945b6057eae47737407081ad5e9d34b7.png

;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Wichrowski said:

Both Template File and PNG picture Must have the same name in the same folder.

Yeah, that works.  It’s still a bug though.

No where in the CbB help file does it say about having to have the png file in the Project Templates folder for it to show up in the Start screen.

There is no such requirement for CbB Project files - the PNG file shows up even if the PNG file is not present.  The image data is embedded in the project file itself as it is in the Project template file.

I guess this will be fixed in the pad version when it’s released.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like this? Still doesn't work for me.

But I've also noticed that, if I remove the image from the notes in the BBCSO template, the image still shows up on the welcome screen, so I'm guessing that there's something not quite right about how CbB is installed on my PC.

I'm not expecting you guys to spend any more time on this, thanks very much for helping 👍

CW1.JPG

CW2.JPG

• Like 1