Include position locked clips in Ripple Edit "All" operations

marcL

Today clips that are position locked are not moved when a section is inserted or deleted with Ripple Edit "All".

IMO this does not make sense, because clips (even out of sight) maybe overwritten (adjacent clips) or be misplaced after the Ripple Edit operation. It makes Ripple Edit fault-prone because you may forget to unlock some clips. I don't see any logical reason to keep the position of those clips concerning the Ripple Edit and don't think anyone expects this.

So please include position locked clips in Ripple Edit operations.

4 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

In what case are you locking clip position and you want those clips to actually be movable? Seems counter intuitive to me. 

I'd expect ripple editing to Not affect locked clips unless I unlocked them first.

Locking clip positions: Because I am not a real artist in using the mouse ☹️ it happens often that selecting a clip moves it a tiny bit. Sometimes I even don't realize this at once. That's why I got used to position lock the clips as soon as they are at the wished position.

Counter intuitive: IMO the clips would actually not be really movable, they just would have to remain at the proper position of their individual parts! E.g. a clip that is in the 2nd measure of the solo has to stay there, even if I insert an additional chorus before the solo (and irrespective of the position lock)! That would be common sense or how a musician (maybe not a developer! 😆) expects the "Ripple Edit All" to function!

Considering that the Reference Guide and documentation say:

Ripple Edit Selection. Affects all clips that are downstream from the selected clip(s). Locked clips are ignored.

Ripple Edit All. In addition to downstream clips in all tracks, also affects meter/key changes, tempo changes, and markers. Locked markers are ignored.

Either the documentation is misleading or the program isn't working like it's supposed to, because it only points out what is ignored in each mode.

• Like 1

@Starship Krupa Thanks Erik for your statement!

But in general I think that like "Ripple Edit All" works in CbB today is nonsensical or even absurd, because the persistence on locked clips to be "unremovable" leads exactly to a LOGICAL MOVE of them !!!!!!!!!!!!! and may even overwrite other clips! 😡

Consider that adding a new part moves all (position) locked clips behind forwards and removing a part moves all locked clips behind backwards (from their logical position within the part). Isn't that crazy? It maybe even out of your screen area and you don't notice it at the moment! Does there exist any logical explanation why this could make sense? 🙃

• Like 1

Of course always when someone asks to change the way a feature works, there must be a consideration of "is there any use case for it working the way it does now?" Because if there is any use case, someone will be using it that way and it will break their workflow.

When you mentioned this, I thought of one where someone could have a locked clip 1 measure long, then cut out a measure 2 measures directly in front of it, then, with Ripple Edit enabled, insert 3 measures somewhere further toward the beginning of the project. If the locked clip stays in place, it will end up in the gap left when the measure was cut out.

But as the saying goes, when in doubt, read the manual, and since Ripple Edit Selection works that way, Ripple Edit All doesn't need to and I guess isn't even supposed to.

For anyone who wants to suggest a feature request here, I recommend checking the Reference Guide first to see what it says. I've found more than one feature that's in the Guide but that was never implemented or, as seems to be the case with Ripple Edit, was implemented incorrectly, making it as much of a bug report as a feature request. You want it to work as (apparently) designed.

For instance: the Ref Guide says that Quick Grouping works on take lanes, and you can select multiple take lanes as if it does, but if you select some take lanes, hold Ctrl, and then try something like hitting the Mute button on one of them, it's no go. The only thing you accomplish by selecting multiple take lanes is making a rectangle in their headers turn a pretty blue color. That just doesn't seem like enough.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, Starship Krupa said:

You want it to work as (apparently) designed.

For the main part I am afraid that there will happen bad things when I use "Ripple Edit All"!

E.g. when I have 2 consecutive clips left of my now position and the 2nd one has position lock enabled, but it is currently not visible on the screen. If I use "Ripple Edit All" now to delete say 1 measure at the current position, then the 2nd clip (locked) overwrites the last measure of the first clip and probably I miss this at the moment, do a lot of other changes and save the project! Like that things may happen that later on you will wonder about and ask yourself what was my intention really??? 😆