Cakewalk doesn't seem to see *.midi even though the extension is set to open with Cakewalk

1 hour ago, Jean Corivo said:

When I receive midi files from Cubase or Nuendo on OSX, the extension is .midi.
As far as I know, the same is true for files from Logic Pro.

Thanks, Jean. 

@msmcleod, I think is also may be a Mac-given extension for MIDI files, but as noted here, and in my post - certainly from Cubase, and apparently other programs, as well.

SO - seems like one of the easiest tweaks to make to CbB, just expanding the list of files shown in File Types, for the 3 dialog boxes, File > Open, Import MIDI, and in the Media Browser.

Bob Bone 

9 hours ago, scook said:

misses the point of the thread

Aw, Steve, you ought to know that I myself don't care for being peddled a workaround when a bug fix or feature request is in order. I was only trying to offer a little tip for people who need to get this to work in the meantime and want to do it by renaming their files. I'm keeping in mind that these threads are read by many people other than those of us who actively participate.

I understand the point of Robert's thread: CbB should readily open/handle MIDI files with the .midi extension. Until it does, there are multiple workarounds. The simplest, IMO, is renaming the .midi files to .mid. This is a way to do it in bulk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

So by extension if someone decided to arbitrarily name .wav file .wave we should support it right and it's a "bug"that we don't? 😕

Well verify if this is indeed coming from established Mac apps

I see your point. It seems that on Mac, we're more likely to want to reinvent the wheel... 🙂

Here is a screenshot when saving a midi file with Cubase 10 on OSX. By default the .midi extension is selected.

Screen Shot.png

1 hour ago, Jean Corivo said:

I see your point. It seems that on Mac, we're more likely to want to reinvent the wheel... 🙂

Here is a screenshot when saving a midi file with Cubase 10 on OSX. By default the .midi extension is selected.

Screen Shot.png

🙂 Of course MIDI was invented by Apple right?

• Haha 3

I thought Roland was a big part of the very first MIDI connector stuff. My friend had a Juno with a serial connection and a box that converted it to 5 pin so he could use his Atari. 

I just fired up my Cubase Elements 7 and loaded a midi file. I then tried "save as" and it had no options other than a project file. So I used Export and it does show (.mid, .midi) in the extension box but you can't choose one or the other. I exported the file and it shows as a .mid file still.  So this is a Mac thing I guess.

And I also realized that with the 3 character extension I was wrong as in Docx. files. 

It seems this has come up before:

IMHO:   I do not think that per the midi standard that "*.midi"  is valid file extension for midi.  I'm not saying that it is not used (because there are programs out there that will only output "midi" extension), but I believe that it was not a file type back in the day.

Personally, I would not expect a MIDI file to have that extension.    I saw the Reaper forums talking about the same issue and now Reaper recognizes that extension. 

Just some observations . . .

Syphus

On 5/25/2020 at 6:44 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

So by extension if someone decided to arbitrarily name .wav file .wave we should support it right and it's a "bug"that we don't? 😕

Well verify if this is indeed coming from established Mac apps

I was not classifying my request as a bug fix - for the record - it does seem that as I had noted, Cubase on a Mac was what my friend had used to create the midi files he sent me, and it apparently did export those files with the .midi extension.

I would point out that Cakewalk is currently inconsistent with handling files of type *.midi, as when I double-click such a file, it opens with Cakewalk, and Cakewalk does process the file properly and set it up ready to play with TTS-1, however Cakewalk does not show those files in either the File > Open dialog box, or in the File > Import > MIDI dialog box, or by default in the Media Browser.

I have the current workaround of renaming those *.midi files to *.mid, so my request is certainly not earth-shattering, nor stopping me in my tracks, should you guys elect to skip this one.  I just thought that since at least one established, and widely-used music production program does create files with that extension, and since to the best of my awareness, the implementation of adding that extension to the filters in the dialog boxes wouldn't need any additional logic, that perhaps you guys would be OK with adding it.

Here is a screen shot from the Cubase export for midi files, showing their default extension in this pic, as "Untitled.midi"

image.png.c40946c52711ee9f8abf1448c0d3aade.png

53 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

I was not classifying my request as a bug fix - for the record - it does seem that as I had noted, Cubase on a Mac was what my friend had used to create the midi files he sent me, and it apparently did export those files with the .midi extension.

I would point out that Cakewalk is currently inconsistent with handling files of type *.midi, as when I double-click such a file, it opens with Cakewalk, and Cakewalk does process the file properly and set it up ready to play with TTS-1, however Cakewalk does not show those files in either the File > Open dialog box, or in the File > Import > MIDI dialog box, or by default in the Media Browser.

I have the current workaround of renaming those *.midi files to *.mid, so my request is certainly not earth-shattering, nor stopping me in my tracks, should you guys elect to skip this one.  I just thought that since at least one established, and widely-used music production program does create files with that extension, and since to the best of my awareness, the implementation of adding that extension to the filters in the dialog boxes wouldn't need any additional logic, that perhaps you guys would be OK with adding it.

Here is a screen shot from the Cubase export for midi files, showing their default extension in this pic, as "Untitled.midi"

Import is already fixed and will be in the final 2020.05 release. 

Footnotes:

1. https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000119.shtml lists both .mid and .midi .
  2. It looks like they based it on http://filext.com/  .
  3. Though smf is listed in the The File Extension Source data base as Standard MIDI File, several other file format evidently also use smf .
  4. The Library of Congress digital preservation document does not include the .smf extension as a standard for preserving midi files.

Also, it looks like opening *.midi files via several methods will be supported in the next official Cakewalk release. 

Edited by User 905133
to a item 4