Staff View

Jerry Gerber

15 minutes ago, jieva said:

Yes I have and it still behaves like it always did regardless of that.

image.thumb.png.fec9030769553ca77d0902eee915a077.png

Are these existing notes, or notes which you have placed with the snap on?

The global snap setting affects the placing of new notes - not what is shown. For that, use the display resolution:

image.png.36635833283e856ee38e7e247b738d33.png

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

Are these existing notes, or notes which you have placed with the snap on?

The global snap setting affects the placing of new notes - not what is shown. For that, use the display resolution:

image.png.36635833283e856ee38e7e247b738d33.png

These are brand new notes in a brand new project.

My display resolution is set to 1/32.

I have tried it lots of times with the same result.

Brand new project. Make sure that the Snap Grid is on and change it to a value (say 1/4 note)

Open a midi track into staff view. Select a note duration (Any duration) and I can place it anywhere on the stave and it does not snap. 

If I drag the note around I can see it still moving by 1/32nd and it does not snap then either. For me it is no different than from before.

43 minutes ago, jieva said:

And this is my version info.

I take it that Global snap is the snap grid on or off in the Main Tool Bar ?

I did not download the beta but waited for the official change and downloaded and installed via the Bandlab Assistant

image.png.5c121d3315262050cbe026c10ef5cd30.png

Yes, that is the global snap, on the control bar.  It's working properly on my DAW.  Hmm, it should be working on yours. Try turning global snap off and then back on.

Are you sure you are running the newest version? It just got released yesterday.

Edited by jsg

8 minutes ago, jsg said:

Yes, that is the global snap, on the control bar.  It's working properly on my DAW.  Hmm, it should be working on yours. Try turning global snap off and then back on.

Are you sure you are running the newest version? It just got released yesterday.

I posted the version info above it's 2020.08 (Build 100, 64 Bit) Running on Windows 10 with all the latest patches.

I installed it yesterday.

I have tried toggling the grid on and off, tried running as administrator.  Tried now about 20 times.

Do you have your display resolution set at 32nd so you can see if the notes are really on the snap ?.  What do the start positions look like in event viewer ?

I really do hope that it is working for you.

Regards

Jim

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@jieva - Are you using a template that was created using an older version of SONAR?

I just tried it using the basic.cwt and empty project.cwt - both have the same results.  I also tried opening the demo project Sophia Jane dated 08/08/2020, added a midi track and the very same results

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

38 minutes ago, jieva said:

I posted the version info above it's 2020.08 (Build 100, 64 Bit) Running on Windows 10 with all the latest patches.

I installed it yesterday.

I have tried toggling the grid on and off, tried running as administrator.  Tried now about 20 times.

Do you have your display resolution set at 32nd so you can see if the notes are really on the snap ?.  What do the start positions look like in event viewer ?

I really do hope that it is working for you.

Regards

Jim

Yes, I always leave the note resolution on 1/32.  I've tested this multiple times using different note values.  It's definitely working properly on my machine.  If I turn snap off it defaults to 1/32 resolution (snap resolution) and if I turn it on it snaps to whichever note value I choose.

I guess the next thing I'd try is to uninstall CW and download it again and reinstall it.  Let me know what happens. Maybe also delete some configuration files pertaining to MIDI before reinstalling, although you'd have to reconfigure some settings..

p.s.  I've now tested this on 2 machines and snap is working properly on the staff view for both...

Edited by jsg

2 hours ago, jsg said:

Yes, I always leave the note resolution on 1/32.  I've tested this multiple times using different note values.  It's definitely working properly on my machine.  If I turn snap off it defaults to 1/32 resolution (snap resolution) and if I turn it on it snaps to whichever note value I choose.

I guess the next thing I'd try is to uninstall CW and download it again and reinstall it.  Let me know what happens. Maybe also delete some configuration files pertaining to MIDI before reinstalling, although you'd have to reconfigure some settings..

p.s.  I've now tested this on 2 machines and snap is working properly on the staff view for both...

That's good news at least I know that it must be something with my computer.

I will backup and uninstall and reinstall and see what happens

30 minutes ago, jieva said:

That's good news at least I know that it must be something with my computer.

I will backup and uninstall and reinstall and see what happens

First attempt no good - uninstalled cakewalk and Bandlab assistent.

This did not remove the entries in Pragram Files, Program data and Appdata/Roaming so I manually removed them.

Wend to Bandlab sit and chose download.  Installed the assistant then downloaed Cakewalk without and extras - EG Studio Instruments etc.

Proceeded to install 

Chose advanced (It gave options to choose directories for installation but it would not let me change them. They were greyed out)

Completed the install - and Staff view still not obeying Global Snap

Going to Repeat but this time clear out all the registry entries that the uninstall does not.

3 minutes ago, jieva said:

First attempt no good - uninstalled cakewalk and Bandlab assistent.

This did not remove the entries in Pragram Files, Program data and Appdata/Roaming so I manually removed them.

Wend to Bandlab sit and chose download.  Installed the assistant then downloaed Cakewalk without and extras - EG Studio Instruments etc.

Proceeded to install 

Chose advanced (It gave options to choose directories for installation but it would not let me change them. They were greyed out)

Completed the install - and Staff view still not obeying Global Snap

Going to Repeat but this time clear out all the registry entries that the uninstall does not.

Ok It is now working.  After uninstalling and then manually clearing the registry and the direcorties and then reinstalling.  This time a Cakewalk  wizard took me through a setup as if this was the first time installation and all is well.  Now the hard part of putting back all of my settings, workspaces and sorting out all of the plugins etc.

A real pain but worth it for the snap function - It's a primitive snap but will do me.

Thanks for your help everyone and thankyou Bandlab

One thing extra that I have noticed is that the start window were you choose a project or create new is far faster.

Regards

Jim

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jieva said:

Ok It is now working.  After uninstalling and then manually clearing the registry and the direcorties and then reinstalling.  This time a Cakewalk  wizard took me through a setup as if this was the first time installation and all is well.  Now the hard part of putting back all of my settings, workspaces and sorting out all of the plugins etc.

A real pain but worth it for the snap function - It's a primitive snap but will do me.

Thanks for your help everyone and thankyou Bandlab

One thing extra that I have noticed is that the start window were you choose a project or create new is far faster.

Regards

Jim

Great!  Glad to hear that you got it working.  You may have had a corrupt file somewhere.  That's what I would have done; clear out the Cakewalk registry entries and all the config files.

Best,

Jerry

www.jerrygerber.com

• 2 months later...

It's great that snap and right-click have been fixed, but I have a beef with deselecting notes.  Going way back to Sonar 8.5, when I selected (highlighted) a note/notes I could then deselect them by clicking anywhere on the white background (still with the Select tool).  In fact I think you had to use the Select tool to deselect notes.  It all changed with Sonar X, when you had to use a different tool (either Erase or Draw) and click off the staff to deselect notes. Goodness knows why - they made some odd decisions at that time and it has been inherited into CbB. Surely using the same tool to select and deselect is logical? In fact, I guess it would be quicker to be able to click off the staff with any of the tools to deselect notes. Just a suggestion.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'd like to ask the Bakers if the following issues could be adressed:

1. CbB as well as Sonar Professional won't insert chords on SV as expected on Brazilian Portuguese language.
I've been in touch with a Cakewalk support employee who asked me to do a screen recording about the issue, on November 2020. He could reproduce it and told me it could soon be adressed.  :  )

Insert chords on Staff View - empty group (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhRJU-F15I

OP about this issue:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/21273-insert-chords-on-staff-view-empty-group-solved/ 

2. The other is that note draw duration buttons (*) won't change if one clicks on a note on the Staff Pane with last touched note enabled.
Please note note value will change when a note is clicked, but note draw duration buttons won't follow the change.
(*) on Staff Menu
(The same won't occur on Piano Roll View where the changes will happen as expected).

3. Also if CbB could export Music XML files at version 3.0 it would be cool!  :  )

Thanks!

Edited by mgustavo

• 2 weeks later...

I have always found that adjusting time is easiest done in the piano roll view, you can use both and bounce back & forth. Staff view is good to see the notes & even to change the note. I made a little macro that moves the note up & down by a note. I also made another that moves it up & down by an octave. (4 macros actually all together)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, mgustavo said:

Hi, I'd like to ask the Bakers if the following issues could be adressed:

1. CbB as well as Sonar Professional won't insert chords on Staff View as expected on Brazilian Portuguese language.
I've been in touch with a Cakewalk support employee who asked me to do a screen recording about the issue, on November 2020. He could reproduce it and told me it could soon be adressed.  :  )

Insert chords on Staff View - chord library empty group (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhRJU-F15I

OP about this issue:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/21273-insert-chords-on-staff-view-empty-group-solved/ 

Hi, I'd like to add I tried to reproduce this issue on other Non English local languages and it also occurred there. 

Thanks!

Edited by mgustavo

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'd like to report CbB have been closing without warning when I drag and drop copy or move chord names (chord symbols) on Staff View.
Although sometimes it works as expected.

EDIT: the current issue happens when trying to use drag and drop to copy or move chord names, but leaving Staff View notes on their places.

Also there's another bug which will delete chord names when tweaking with them as described above. Also some notes could be deleted with this procedure.

Best regards

Edited by mgustavo