Staff View

Jerry Gerber

@jsg thanks for the reply, but Note draw duration buttons is a new feature from CbB.

On 3/29/2020 at 2:09 PM, scook said:

Note draw duration buttons were added to Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.06

CbB is a significant free upgrade to SONAR Artist.

Here is the updated link from scook's post :
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.64.html 

4 minutes ago, scook said:

The buttons were removed from the X-series and re-introduced in CbB.

Thanks for the historical clarification!! Though I have X1 and X3, at that time I was doing more with a hardware sequencer and just exploring soft synths in X1 / X3 as an alternative.  Not sure if I noticed it.  Glad Cakewalk by Bandlab had the wisdom to add them back!!!  Maybe they will also add the tools back into the Staff View Pane.  (I did notice those were gone from CbB.)

From X3 (looks a bit "sparse").

image.png.adb57cddc5f3ee3f71eb186dcf9b178e.png

They are adding back the snap for the next release, although I think that they said that Staff view will obey the Global snap function and not have its own.  That's good enough for me and bandlab I thankyou very much indeed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

And it's here....

Fantastic!  I've been trying it out and I'm pleased that the staff view FINALLY has its snap-function restored.  This really helps a lot!!!

Can't wait to finish testing and then install it on my DAW...

Thank you!

Jerry

• Like 4

I think so.  I've been testing it this afternoon and it's a delight.  So much better with snap than without.  As soon as the official new version is  released I'll install it on my DAW.  My first upgrade since the final version of Sonar....Yippee!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jsg said:

My first upgrade since the final version of Sonar....Yippee!!

Oh my goodness. You have a lot of catching up to do Jerry :D

I hope the newest version will be to your liking and you will pump out some more orchestration works for us to listen to.

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Oh my goodness. You have a lot of catching up to do Jerry :D

I hope the newest version will be to your liking and you will pump out some more orchestration works for us to listen to.

I'm working on the ending of the 1st movement of a new symphony, hope to have it done by the end of August...

• Like 2

In case you hadn't noticed, you  no longer must hold the Ctrl key to get your fully-active right-click context menu.

It's not just the snap feature that's been amended per your requests....

Speak up, they need to know that it's now really working the way you all wanted it to.😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

In case you hadn't noticed, you  no longer must hold the Ctrl key to get your fully-active right-click context menu.

It's not just the snap feature that's been amended per your requests....

Speak up, they need to know that it's now really working the way you all wanted it to.😊

Yep, I noticed that too.  As soon as the new version is finalized I'm going to download it onto the DAW.  I'm hoping it will be as stable as the final version of Sonar has been on my Windows 10 machine. (even though the lack of snap in the staff view drives me nuts).

1 hour ago, jsg said:

I'm hoping it will be as stable as the final version of Sonar has been on my Windows 10 machine.

😂

Well, cross your fingers!

I don't consider a program truly "stable" until I can forget to exit it and leave it running overnight and then sit down and it hasn't frozen or crashed. Cakewalk passed that threshold quite some time ago, to the point where I don't even think about it any more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jieva said:

Just installed 2020.08 and cant get snap to work at all in staff view

I hope you turned on the snap on the control bar..I just tried it and it's working properly.  Finally, after years of neglect the notation editor is repaired.

Edited by jsg
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:59 AM, jsg said:

One thing I've noticed with the upcoming new version:

Even when the global snap is turned OFF, the snap function still seems to work in the staff view  Hmm?  Is that by design?

If global snap is turned off, the staff view reverts to the old snap of 1/32 notes depending on where you click within the measure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jsg said:

I hope you turned on the snap on the control bar..I just tried it and it's working properly.  Finally, after years of neglect the notation editor is repaired.

Yes I have and it still behaves like it always did regardless of that.

image.thumb.png.fec9030769553ca77d0902eee915a077.png

17 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If global snap is turned off, the staff view reverts to the old snap of 1/32 notes depending on where you click within the measure.

And this is my version info.

I take it that Global snap is the snap grid on or off in the Main Tool Bar ?

I did not download the beta but waited for the official change and downloaded and installed via the Bandlab Assistant

image.png.5c121d3315262050cbe026c10ef5cd30.png