Modulation on digital piano

EdwardB

Question

I've been using Cakewalk for a while now. My digital piano (an old CVP, at least 25 years old) supports MIDI input, so I can use it to record in CbB without issues. However, I was wondering if there is any chance to use the volume slider as a Modulation slider when I play virtual instruments. Is this possible?

9 answers to this question

Maybe, it depends on if the volume slider produces a MIDI CC message when moved. You could check your digital pianos documentation to see if it sends MIDI or use a midi sniffing utility on your PC to see if it sends anything.

If it does then you could set the CC value it sends to control a VSTi's parameters if supported in the synth

1 minute ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Maybe, it depends on if the volume slider produces a MIDI CC message when moved. You could check your digital pianos documentation to see if it sends MIDI or use a midi sniffing utility on your PC to see if it sends anything.

If it does then you could set the CC value it sends to control a VSTi's parameters if supported in the synth

Oh gosh, I hope I'll find that old manual somewhere. :P

I'll give that a try, thanks!

27 minutes ago, EdwardB said:

I've been using Cakewalk for a while now. My digital piano (an old CVP, at least 25 years old) supports MIDI input, so I can use it to record in CbB without issues. However, I was wondering if there is any chance to use the volume slider as a Modulation slider when I play virtual instruments. Is this possible?

Is that a Yamaha CVP? Here is a page on the Yamaha website where you can search for manuals for their products.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/manuals/index.html

29 minutes ago, scook said:

Could connect the keyboard to the DAW, start recording and see what, if any, data the volume slider sends or hook the keyboard up to MIDIOX

Of course having the docs handy is a good idea.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out!

Just now, EdwardB said:

Oh thank you! I hope I'll find the information in there!

Good luck. Manuals are the best source of info for your product, generally. I always try to find a digital manual for every product I buy. If I can't, I scan and save the images in the cloud. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Just now, Chappel said:

Good luck. Manuals are the best source of info for your product, generally. I always try to find a digital manual for every product I buy. If I can't, I scan and save the images in the cloud. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I usually do that too, but it's actually my mothers' old piano I'm using right now. :)

1 minute ago, EdwardB said:

I usually do that too, but it's actually my mothers' old piano I'm using right now. :)

If you can't find it on the Yamaha site you could try searching for it online. I've had good results doing that. '(Name of product) manual' should do the trick.