Dropout First Couple Plays Then Fine

3 hours ago, razor7music said:

Well, CW doesn't "see" the integrated audio when it's enabled. Not sure how to use the scan feature that Sonar had.

I think you might be able to see the other driver, for the integrated chip, if you change the Driver Mode to WASAPI Shared. When the Driver Mode is set to ASIO, it only shows ASIO device drivers.

Not sure about your problem, but I did not encounter any dropouts in W10 until the 2020.5 update, now I get them all the time. I am going to try reverting back to a previous version of CW.

UPDATE:
I started with 2020.5, reverted to 2020.4 and did not notice a difference.
I then reverted again to 2020.1. The dropouts "dropped" dramatically from 1 every 5-10 minutes, to 1 every 1-2 hours.
I had made no changes to any settings between versions. Using the same midi tracks with one empty audio track.
Sometimes I would play the project, but the dropout toast would pop up even if it was totally idle and I was on a different window, like a web browser. The toast numbers I got were 0, 1, and 3.
For now, I will stay at 2020.1, at least I can function without getting annoyed.

Edited by Randall Forsythe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, razor7music said:

Hello @Robert Bone and @scook

After I enable the onboard sound in the BIOS, and enable the Realtec sound in Windows, and change the driver mode to WASAPI shared in CW, CW still doesn't see any other devices except my Echo Layla 3G.

😕

Did you click Apply, after changing the Driver Mode?  And then go look at input and output audio devices?

I have been ASIO for so may years, I am digging deep for the above - not sure if that matters, but would be easy to check out by trying.  I am on a phone call with a friend, so will have to get back to your thread after I finish that.  Sorry 

18 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Did you click Apply, after changing the Driver Mode?  And then go look at input and output audio devices?

I have been ASIO for so may years, I am digging deep for the above - not sure if that matters, but would be easy to check out by trying.  I am on a phone call with a friend, so will have to get back to your thread after I finish that.  Sorry 

Let me repeat the above and then do a complete reboot of my system just to be sure.

I'll post back.

Many thanks

• Like 1

@Robert Bone

Well, I can't get pass go to even pay my $200.

I followed the same process = enabled the onboard audio chip in BIOS. Enabled the Realtek audio in Windows, reboot, ran the wave profiler in CW,  and the Realtek device is grayed out in Windows as well as CW--so I can't test to see if it's the sound card based on my current equipment. I have an old Echo Layla 24/96, but it uses the same drivers as the current 3G model, so that wouldn't prove anything.

I'm not sure where to go at this point. I hate to do what some people would do when I worked at GC and just buy stuff to use and then return it a few days later, although that sure crossed my mind.

I appreciate everyone's help here. Don't know what else I can try. I did have to move to W10 for many reasons, so it's not like I would have done something differently had I known. I just sure am glad I was between projects when I did the OS upgrade.

Playback.png

Recording.png

Devices.png

Wave Profile.png

Edited by razor7music

I have an HDTV for a computer display monitor (65" wahoo!), so I just have the TV's HDMI handle the audio, and I have a sound bar connected to the TV by a light-pipe cable, so that is how my Windows sounds play).  So, it has been a while since I had some other arrangement, but I wouldn't think you would want your Windows playback devices set to the digital S/PDIF devices.  What other choices do you have for that?

And, are you using WSAPI Shared, or Exclusive, for your Driver Mode in Cakewalk?

Bob Bone

1 hour ago, Robert Bone said:

I have an HDTV for a computer display monitor (65" wahoo!), so I just have the TV's HDMI handle the audio, and I have a sound bar connected to the TV by a light-pipe cable, so that is how my Windows sounds play).  So, it has been a while since I had some other arrangement, but I wouldn't think you would want your Windows playback devices set to the digital S/PDIF devices.  What other choices do you have for that?

And, are you using WSAPI Shared, or Exclusive, for your Driver Mode in Cakewalk?

Bob Bone

Hey @Robert Bone

65" monitor! That's crazy!! Crazy cool that is.

The spdif is the only option. I think it might have to do with the computers sound card. It detects when something's plugged into it, except for the spdif. So, without anything plugged into it that's all I've got. All the inputs and outputs are those tiny 1/8" jack ports, so I don't have anything to plug into them.

I tried WASAPI shared because I didn't know what else to try.

47 minutes ago, razor7music said:

Hey @Robert Bone

65" monitor! That's crazy!! Crazy cool that is.

The spdif is the only option. I think it might have to do with the computers sound card. It detects when something's plugged into it, except for the spdif. So, without anything plugged into it that's all I've got. All the inputs and outputs are those tiny 1/8" jack ports, so I don't have anything to plug into them.

I tried WASAPI shared because I didn't know what else to try.

OK - well, the WASAPI route was a plan B anyways - so it is coming up on midnight here, and I am pretty wiped out, however, after a good night's sleep, I am going to leave this thread up, so I can jump in and help you figure this all out, once and for all (I sincerely hope).  

I would have spent more time earlier, but I was trying to tame some Kontakt issues with one of the Komplete 12 drum libraries, and getting the mixer to present the Output drop-down, so I could alter each kit piece to go to a separate output channel.  That was driving me nuts - sorry for the long explain.

Anyways, I will give this my undivided attention in the morning, and do my best to help you get the dropouts resolved.  :)

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

OK - well, the WASAPI route was a plan B anyways - so it is coming up on midnight here, and I am pretty wiped out, however, after a good night's sleep, I am going to leave this thread up, so I can jump in and help you figure this all out, once and for all (I sincerely hope).  

I would have spent more time earlier, but I was trying to tame some Kontakt issues with one of the Komplete 12 drum libraries, and getting the mixer to present the Output drop-down, so I could alter each kit piece to go to a separate output channel.  That was driving me nuts - sorry for the long explain.

Anyways, I will give this my undivided attention in the morning, and do my best to help you get the dropouts resolved.  :)

Bob Bone

Yes, the separate outputs in kontakt for CW on a drum kit can be a real pain. I ended up documenting the routes if you want to see what I have, let me know.

I appreciate the help on my issue. If it was just the first few playbacks that dropped out, I wouldn't care as much, but I do get the occasional blip when I start recording. It's not even 1 second and I get a dropout. Then, I try again and it's fine. I just can't have that because it's interferes with the creative flow.

49 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

You might try to plug in some speakers, then open Cakewalk.  It looks like Windows is seeing the card but not activating it because there are no speakers connected.??

I hope Robert can help some!

Max Arwood

Correct. I don't have any 1/8" jacks to plug in.

8 hours ago, razor7music said:

Correct. I don't have any 1/8" jacks to plug in.

I want to circle back to trying to resolve the dropouts and such, using ASIO and the interface - I have a few other things to knock out of the way this morning, and then will start at the beginning of the thread, and try to find something perhaps I missed earlier, because of having several competing things going on, tugging at me in different directions - so I want to focus on this thread, and see if something can be figured out to resolve these for you.

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I want to circle back to trying to resolve the dropouts and such, using ASIO and the interface - I have a few other things to knock out of the way this morning, and then will start at the beginning of the thread, and try to find something perhaps I missed earlier, because of having several competing things going on, tugging at me in different directions - so I want to focus on this thread, and see if something can be figured out to resolve these for you.

Bob Bone

I appreciate the help whenever you can!!