CPU Heat Issue

@Tommy Byrnes - the main change since the March update is the arranger feature, which uses DirectDraw under the hood for the UI.  So the issue you're seeing could be caused by an issue with your DirectX drivers.

You could try running dxdiag to see if there's any issues with your driver config:

https://www.howtogeek.com/258485/how-to-use-the-directx-diagnostic-in-windows/

5 hours ago, azslow3 said:

"Open CbB" is too complex operation for computer, to get reasonable advise you need to localize the source:

1. Open CbB with EMPTY project. Turn off audio engine. Minimize it to the tray. Any CPU use from it?
  2. Step by step, checking significant CPU load increase:
    1. Maximize CbB
    2. Add several audio tracks without plug-ins, up to your usual number of tracks in the project
    3. Start audio engine (if not started by tracks)
    4. Add some audio clips
    5. Start playback
    6. Add plug-ins
    7. Load your usual project

Once you notice CPU load, independent on which step, try minimize CbB and then change audio device to build-in.

That should point which part of the system/CbB triggers high temperature: plug-in(s), graphics, audio interface.

Sorry for repeat, but from all your previous observations it seems like your system is "fine tuned" for low multi-core load only. I mean if full powered single core overheat, full powered all cores will switch your system off instantly. Can you run PRIME95 for a half an hour? I guess not, and that is looking for troubles.

FX-8350 is an "old world" AMD CPU. Every surface micrometer has to carry the heat out from TDP 125W to keep "max temp" under 61C. May be it is time to re-mount the cooling head. For comparison: modern AMD CPUs have TDP 105W (real ~150W) and "max temp" 95C. That is obviously way simpler to keep under control.

My own system is Intel based, ~40C idle. It runs ~70C when "test loaded" under TDP (95W), I can keep it under 85C with power limit 170W. Without limits it can consume up to 250W and my "small" air cooler is unable to deal with that (I have only one case fan). All that without any "manual overclocking", modern CPUs overclock themselves by default...

Thanks again for the reply, Azslow. When I said "fine-tuned" I meant the other audio devices, such as the HD audio drivers for my graphics card, etc are disabled in the device manager. All USB controllers are set to "no power saving" and the other things we all do to maximize the system for audio. No issues with LatencyMon-sterling readings. 

When you say "it seems like your system is 'fine tuned' for low multi-core load only," what do you mean? I'm not sure if I do or not. I have all the cores unparked, if that's what you mean. If not, could you elaborate?

I'm going to start working backward today to see if I can suss this out. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen before is if there is no audio driver running, in other words, all audio devices are turned off, my idle temp is 25-32C. As soon as an audio driver is engaged the temp jumps up to the upper 40s. I've tested this with MOTU drivers, old Mackie drivers (which still work great for my old Onyx 1220i mixer) and UAD Apollo, which is my main interface. The UAD drivers run way hotter than the newer MOTU drivers (M4 interface) and the Mackie. I used the MOTU and Macke just for testing and don't really use them in the main rig.

If I just open CbB I'm in the 50s. Minimal project with a few plugins and I'm in the danger zone.

So, I'll take your advice and re-sit and re-thermal paste first, then replace the liquid cooler, then replace the CPU/motherboard. Then throw the whole thing out the window and revisit the old Tascam 244 4-track cassette portastudio in the storeroom and make a cocktail  :)  Thanks again for the help.

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Tommy Byrnes - the main change since the March update is the arranger feature, which uses DirectDraw under the hood for the UI.  So the issue you're seeing could be caused by an issue with your DirectX drivers.

You could try running dxdiag to see if there's any issues with your driver config:

https://www.howtogeek.com/258485/how-to-use-the-directx-diagnostic-in-windows/

Thanks, msmcleod. I ran it and it didn't see any problems. If I could roll back to earlier versions to see if it's CbB I would try to see if it is something in the program my system doesn't like now.

Before I would replace the liquid cooler I would try testing it. The most common not fan related problem, aside from all the fluid leaking out which should be obvious from minor flooding in the vicinity, would be an air/vapor lock in the system. Bleeding off the air would fix that--the computer cooling equivalent of bleeding your brakes. If you have an air cooler lying around, you might see if that will work. If it works better than the liquid cooler that would certainly suggest the liquid unit is screwed up. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

So, I'll take your advice and re-sit and re-thermal paste first, then replace the liquid cooler...

It sounds more an more you simply have a problem with cooling. To rule out  audio interfaces, Cakewalk, etc., you can try to run PRIME95 (I guess your system will shutdown within several seconds...). But better follow the advise from Slartabartfast, before doing any future tests.

"Low multicore load" normally consumes less power then one core doing the whole job. That is why you could observe some difference after "balancing" the load using Cakewalk settings. But that is not a solution for your problem.