GROOVE3 ( training ) .. any good? $100 PA offer at mo

aidan o driscoll

Hi Guys,

Anyone use GROOVE3 for training?

At the moment they have an offer for a year sub at $100 instead of $150

Just wondering have others used GROOVE3 and are they worth a punt?

I am interested in the ARTURIA training they have ..

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Great Idea 1

Hey Aidan,

I use Groove3 a lot (that and Udemy) and they have quite a few Arturia courses.
Eli Krantzberg is also one of my favourite instructors (he's also just done a video for EzBass on YouTube).

The Arturia ones though seem to be mainly Tyler Coffin... 

1738079606_Groove3Arturia.thumb.jpg.3363e9332a592dccdc82c0ed820defce.jpg

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 3

I just emailed GROOVE3 to ask about how long the $100 vs $150 per annum deal was going on for AND about taking up the 7 day trial. Then if one likes the trial covert it to the year sub for the $100. I  also asked how long the reduced year sub was going on for. Here is the reply I got back for those interested:

At the moment we are planning to let it run until the end of the month so you should have time. 

Also, at any point during your trial you can cancel and then purchase a year.  The remaining days will then be added to your new subscription so you don't lose anything.

Groove3 is very good and they have videos on a wide variety of topics but I never seemed to make the yearly subscription worthwhile.  For me it ended up best to buy the videos I wanted (Groove3 or Udemy) while on sale and maybe get a monthly subscription ($15) once or twice a year when I couldn't find what I wanted on youtube. At times I also prefer reading a manual than watch videos.

24 minutes ago, rcklln said:

Groove3 is very good and they have videos on a wide variety of topics but I never seemed to make the yearly subscription worthwhile.  For me it ended up best to buy the videos I wanted (Groove3 or Udemy) while on sale and maybe get a monthly subscription ($15) once or twice a year when I couldn't find what I wanted on youtube. At times I also prefer reading a manual than watch videos.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

I plumped for the 7 days trial to have a look at the ARTURIA vids. Will see after next week whether to do the $15 a month for a few months here and there OR the $100 for a year. 

23 minutes ago, rcklln said:

Groove3 is very good and they have videos on a wide variety of topics but I never seemed to make the yearly subscription worthwhile

I got a one year all access pass free last year and I still don't watch it much, ironically probably in part because it was free. It would have to be considerably less than $100 to make me consider renewing when it expires.

Top quality videos. A better investment than a bunch of plugins I’ve bought in the past, that’s for sure. Until a year of so ago I was able to renew at about $70 a year, but I have to admit I cancelled when it went up. 

I have all access and it's very good. I don't think I would have ever got to grips with programming the Arturia Synclavier and CMI without it.

It's also been very useful for BFD and Superior Drummer. 

There are also useful tutorials on non software stuff like music theory and instrument playing.

• Like 2

The trick is to remember to use it now and then.  I have a button on my Streamdeck and an icon on the front of my iPad. 

It's helped me learn about a lot of advanced features I never used on programs like Band-In-A-Box.   It's boring to go through an entire manual, but a few quick lessons on special topics have really helped me a lot.

Lately I've been taking some Cubase clasess.

I used to take classes from MacProVideo (which I think is the same as AskAudio) and I like these a LOT more.  Krantzberg gets right to the point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

I plumped for the 7 days trial to have a look at the ARTURIA vids. Will see after next week whether to do the $15 a month for a few months here and there OR the $100 for a year. 

Yeah, a test drive is a good idea. I was going monthly on an infrequent basis to get caught up on what I needed to know. I keep a list of videos I'm interested in and refer to them when time permits. When I bought the  Izotope Music Production Suite it came with an annual subscription, I wouldn't have it otherwise.   All said, I'm a fan and have shortened the learning curve on lots of subjects via G3.

• Like 1

Well .. I have spent a bit of the avo here going through the ARTURIA DX7 V Explained by Tyler Coffin. Have to say I really like it. Even in that 2 hours I have picked up alot. Really enjoying the lessons where he construct some presets having earlier explained the various parts in the plugin:

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Arturia-DX7-V-Explained

So far so good .. on the 7 day trial

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

Eli Krantzberg is also one of my favourite instructors (he's also just done a video for EzBass on YouTube).

The Arturia ones though seem to be mainly Tyler Coffin...

Eli is not doing too many videos for Groove recently, unfortunately.  He's a great instructor.

I have the monthly all-pass sub and it's the only sub I keep. Very worthwhile.

One funny thing: I read the post I quoted above and, as I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not familiar with the slang (every now and then it takes me a while to understand some posts here), I thought that "Tyler Coffin" was some expression to mean "outdated" or "abandoned" or something like that. I didn't pay attention to the images. Something like "Debbie Downer" or the like.

Edited by Sergio
  • Haha 1

Currently I am trying to get my head wrapped around this N.I. Maschine stuff, so recently had to download several Maschine tutorials since tGroove 3 is having a 33% off sale.   I've learned so much  by just watching those tutorials and learning about the functionality of the Maschine software and hardware.

Edited by jesse g