Front DAW 60% off

cclarry

26 minutes ago, antler said:

Has anyone compared CTC-1 with other plugins in the same category, e.g. Overloud's Tapedesk? The convenience of a single plugin instance instead of one on each channel seems like a fairly big plus-point, but how's the sound/CPU usage?

CTC-1 (and Softube's Tape) are MixFX and work at a "lower level" than a typical plugin, allowing for things like Crosstalk. That's the thing that is so appealing. Also, I think their baked in stand Console Shaper sounds really convincing, and opens things up like magic - IMHO. 

• Like 1

I got the Black Rooster's Magnetite hoping for miracles and still haven't found a good use for it - or at least a place where I liked it. Nothing at all like the first time I tried out SO's Console Shaper.

4 hours ago, antler said:

Has anyone compared CTC-1 with other plugins in the same category, e.g. Overloud's Tapedesk? The convenience of a single plugin instance instead of one on each channel seems like a fairly big plus-point, but how's the sound/CPU usage?

I'm not sure there can be a comparison between CTC-1 and Tapedesk, because I don't think they are in the same category, not to me anyway. But as far as sound goes it's CTC-1 hands (feet and any other limbs you may have) down. CPU, well I have no issues, and as such have had no need to really monitor it, I use it on every available bus without even thinking about it.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, mibby said:

"ensconsed" seems to like it fine.  How do YOU like it?

I think it works well and use it often. As you would expect, people have different opinions on it but if you use and like the standard Console Shaper I think you would appreciate having the additional options. Can't say that I have a favorite emulation as it depends on the project, but I seem to use the Tube emulation the most.

Keeping a close eye on cost doesn't sound cheap to me I understand where you're coming from. If you haven't seen them already there are some videos on youtube by PreSonus and Marcus Huyskens that do a good job of demonstrating the various functions.

• Thanks 1

Thanks fro the reply - I'll definitely dig up Marcus' videos.

25 minutes ago, rcklln said:

if you use and like the standard Console Shaper I think you would appreciate having the additional options.

Definitely!  And this brings us back around to the OP.  It IS handy to have the 3 different saturation flavors right there  on the plugin, and FrontDAW's sound pretty darn good too!  🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ensconced said:

I'm not sure there can be a comparison between CTC-1 and Tapedesk, because I don't think they are in the same category

I mentioned Tapedesk as it's got a mixing-console emulation part (in addition to the tape emulation part)