Front DAW 60% off

cclarry

15 minutes ago, projectm said:

This is a helluva plugin! I use it all the time👍👍

Would you mind providing a few details, such as:  is it inserted as a plug-in in the Pro Channel strip? Or as an FX insert, or as part of an FX chain. Currently, I use Cakewalk's Console Emulator on each channel and bus. Any feedback on whether this is superior to that? Your favorite emulation and how you dial it in?  For $19 I would think it's a no-brainer. And I would be trying it out on Studio One which doesn't have  the ProChannel strip, but has their own branded console emulation as an add-on, I believe.

Thanks.

So glad I got this when it first came out!   I just wish they'd go to the trouble to add an Output Level knob to this for gain staging. That would make it just about perfect!   I've been using this one and Hyperspace on just about every mix these days.  Great plugins - and totally worth $19 if you don't have it!

6 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Would you mind providing a few details, such as:  is it inserted as a plug-in in the Pro Channel strip? Or as an FX insert, or as part of an FX chain. Currently, I use Cakewalk's Console Emulator on each channel and bus. Any feedback on whether this is superior to that? Your favorite emulation and how you dial it in?  For $19 I would think it's a no-brainer. And I would be trying it out on Studio One which doesn't have  the ProChannel strip, but has their own branded console emulation as an add-on, I believe.

Thanks.

I'd try the demo to see what you think.

Many of us got it for free when it was released.

I like the fact they let you put it on as many computers as you own (no ilok, limited install garbage)

It can be a little more "colorful" to your sound than some of the other options on the market.  I like it an use it sometimes, but also don't think it is the best out there for "clean" console emulation.  

Airwindows makes a console emulator that is free, and so does Analog Obsession.  I have Waves NLS and some other options in addition to the console that comes in Cakewalk.  

It is not a pro-channel plugin, but you can put it in the FXBin thing in the Pro-Channel if that is where you want it in your chain.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Thanks.

I use Studio One. Just like they suggest, FrontDaw is the first plugin insert.  Just dial in the amount of saturation you want with the input, then Hi-Pass to taste, then cycle through the flavors of saturation. I find British darker, US more clean and open, and German more gritty. Then play with the Mojo until you like it. It doesn't work for every track, but darn near. Really a great plugin! *

* It just needs an Output Level knob!

8 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I like it an use it sometimes, but also don't think it is the best out there for "clean" console emulation. 

Agree. If the US is still too "dirty", I like Studio One's built in Console Shaper. That's pretty much "ON" on all of my mixes to varying degrees too.

Also, after the demo runs out, knobs fall off leaving you with just the British style saturation and no hi-pass or Mojo....

file.php?id=28603

• Haha 1

FrontDAW is good for when you have to have some more drive and character to your tracks. The Pro Channel console has a bit of a gentler character that is good for general purpose, so it's one of those cases where having more tools at your disposal is better.

While we're on the topic of console emulators, Waves Abbey Road REDD is also on sale for $29.99 with code CREATIVE40, it's a no-brainer at this price point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Maffris said:

Thanks.

I jumped ship some years ago and is currently working in Logic in Mac and can’t compare it directly with pro channel. but if memory serves me, this can add a little bit more grit without the nasty artifacts that used to occur in the PC Console Emulator (I understand this is not an issue anymore, though). I have changed so much of my setup and have a new room etc since I used Sonar, but I was never that impressed with the console emulator as I have been with FrontDAW.

I slap it over “all” my tracks as the first plugin. It is resource friendly so I never had a problem with that. I use other things on my buses and master so this is just a gentle touch on tracks for me. But the difference can be mesmerizing ;)

Are these console emulator plugins supposed to go as the first or last in the chain? I know this one's called Front DAW (and maybe that's a hint), but I've seen arguments for this type of plugin to go at either end of the chain.

36 minutes ago, antler said:

Are these console emulator plugins supposed to go as the first or last in the chain? I know this one's called Front DAW (and maybe that's a hint), but I've seen arguments for this type of plugin to go at either end of the chain.

Usual argument is 1st in the chain.    But as you say, arguments have been made for both sides.

8 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Usual argument is 1st in the chain.    But as you say, arguments have been made for both sides.

Agreed.

There may be some confusion here. Perhaps the OP's question might be restated as: 1) on each track (Front DAW's primary use case), or 2) on one or more busses, or 3) on the master (two) buss. For any of those 3, it would usually be first in the chain.

Then again, I'm known to have my head in a dark place from time to time.

Edited by John Maar

9 hours ago, mibby said:

Agree. If the US is still too "dirty", I like Studio One's built in Console Shaper. That's pretty much "ON" on all of my mixes to varying degrees too.

Are you talking the original Console Shaper or CTC-1 Pro? If the original, do yourself a favour and grab CTC-1 Pro when you can, as good as the original was, CTC-1 Pro kicks it up a notch. It goes on everything, beautiful. IF you already have it, then carry on :)

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, ensconced said:

CTC-1 Pro kicks it up a notch. It goes on everything, beautiful. IF you already have it, then carry on

Sadly, just the original.  I've been wanting to pick those up so badly, but they never go on sale!  At least not on a no-brainer sale which is more my speed.  🤪

Edited by mibby

5 hours ago, mibby said:

Sadly, just the original.  I've been wanting to pick those up so badly, but they never go on sale!  At least not on a no-brainer sale which is more my speed.  🤪

I grabbed it in Dec 2017 when it was on sale for half off - well worth it - haven't seen it on sale again since

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:25 PM, mibby said:

$40 (half off)

CTC-1 Pro Console Shaper

This offer is good until Jun 07, 2020 at 11:59 PM CST

56 minutes ago, rcklln said:

$40 (half off)

CTC-1 Pro Console Shaper

This offer is good until Jun 07, 2020 at 11:59 PM CST

Huh? Thanks! I think it was that Dec 2017 sale where I almost got it before.  Presonus sure doesn't seem to "advertise" these sales!  Now this will sound really cheap, but sadly, I've been picking up $10-$20 plugins over the last couple of months, so my "no brainer" level has dropped a bit lately. Still, I am VERY tempted! I do have a couple of quick questions.

"ensconsed" seems to like it fine.  How do YOU like it?

On 5/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, ensconced said:

CTC-1 Pro kicks it up a notch

Anyone know if there is there such a thing as a coupon for Presonus??  😛

Has anyone compared CTC-1 with other plugins in the same category, e.g. Overloud's Tapedesk? The convenience of a single plugin instance instead of one on each channel seems like a fairly big plus-point, but how's the sound/CPU usage?