Sonitus Surround Sound - Some tracks SILENT on some devices

I've got a real puzzler.

I have a recording where i used Sonitus Surround Sound on several instruments. It sounded fine in my headphones, both during mixing / mixdown and when I played back both the WAV and MP3 files. But when I put it up on SoundCloud, some users claimed they had trouble hearing the vocals.

I played it again and it sounded fine. But when I used a Plantronics mono headset, the vocals and lead guitar were COMPLETELY GONE, like they were never there! Plug in my nice headphones, and it's back.

I removed Sonitus Surround Sound from the vocals and exported the song again. At that point I could hear vocals.

I repeated the process, removing Surround Sound from the lead guitar. This time I STILL can't hear it.

What the heck is going ON!??  I'm sure it 's something obscure and highly technical.

https://soundcloud.com/barry-seymour/the-kind-of-man-who-does-whats-right

Think that nowadays a lot of music is played in mono, so you should test your project in mono before uploading it to a platform. With the Sonitus Surround Sound maybe you put the voices too much in stereo and didn´t leave much voice information in mono. If you like the Sonitus Surround Sound effect and you dont want to lose voice presence, maybe you should copy one voice track and leave it unpanned (all mono) without the Sonitus Surround Sound FX.

I Hope it helps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leandro Cher said:

Think that nowadays a lot of music is played in mono, so you should test your project in mono before uploading it to a platform. With the Sonitus Surround Sound maybe you put the voices too much in stereo and didn´t leave much voice information in mono. If you like the Sonitus Surround Sound effect and you dont want to lose voice presence, maybe you should copy one voice track and leave it unpanned (all mono) without the Sonitus Surround Sound FX.

I Hope it helps

I just ended up removing the effect; it sounded fine to me without it and some said it sounded better. I'm just curious what the reason for this puzzling filter was.

17 hours ago, scook said:

I am guessing the OP is using Sonitus Surround

Plug-ins.2.13.png

This stereo plug-in's name is a little misleading, it is an autopanner.

It is one of my favorites in this category but may not translate well in mono mixes.

So when I listened to it in what was essentially a mono headset, the voice completely disappeared.  Some users (iPhone 8 and iPad) said it 'sounded weird, I can't hear the voice too well.' They, like me, lacked the technical knowledge to describe the exact issue, but it was something I wanted to fix.

I think I'll stay away from this effect; it seems to have unpredictable results.

Thanks for the information.