How to create muffled-to-clear audio intro?

Dave G

Occasionally, I'll hear a song on the radio where the audio slowly transitions from muffled ("other room" technique) to clear. This usually occurs in the intro of the song.

I guess one example I have is "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. The intro features a muffled stringed guitar, and then a clear one comes in after. But what I'm looking for is an intro that smoothly goes from muffled to clear.

An even better example is "Say So" by Doja Cat. This effect happens during the 8-second intro, and again at 3:45.

How do I create this effect? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Dave G

+1 to automating a EQ or filter on the master buss. Another song that does this is The Way by Fastball. The intro has this lo fi and then even the first verse is a bit off. Song kicks in on 2nd verse, very cool and impossible for me to do it live!!

• Like 1

just adding....automating prefader send to eq or whatever works well to do "other room" effect. This way volume can be handled separately if to do "walking into other room" effect. Full control.....

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the responses.

I've figured out how to create the effect via Sonitus EQ, but only as a consistent effect that sustains throughout the melody. How do I automate it so that the effect begins and slowly fades away/fades into clarity once the melody progresses?

Automate the cutoff frequency for the filter(s) in the EQ. That's a little tricky if you're using the Sonitus "Telephone" preset, as it uses three filters, IIRC. But do-able.

When I do that particular effect, three automations are involved:

1. Cutoff frequency on a high-pass filter is automated (start high, automate to gradually lower)

2. Volume is automated (quieter at start, then louder as the full-frequency range comes in)

3. Reverb send is automated (more reverb transitioning to less reverb)

• Like 1

If I want part of a track, like the intro, to be very different from the rest of the track, first I duplicate the track. Then on the duplicated track I delete all but the part I want to keep different. On the original track, i put a volume envelope to drop it a bit or completely keep it silent depending on what I am going for. Then I do whatever I want to the duplicated track, put a volume envelope to have it begin how I want, and then down to fade it into the original track sound (the down part can be coordinated with the rising of the volume of the original track where they meet so they blend well together). I like doing it this way, its simple and I can do what I want to the duplicate and know the original is as it was, with only having its volume lowered or absent where I want the duplicate to dominate. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dave G said:

I wish I could mark more than one of these for "Best Answer".) ☺️

This is a feature exclusively available in the Q&A area of the forum.

But you may use the icon in the bottom right to "Like" replies in all the other areas of this forum.