Cakewalk with Kurzweil Forte

Hello Cakewalk crew, i just started to use Cakewalk by Bandlab with my Kurzweil Forte synth workstation but i cannot find instrument definition file (*.ins) for it, or there is another way to scan programs and multis from my Forte and to create it? I dont want to do it manually, because it is a lot of work (i have now over 2000 programs/multis now).

Another thing is about midi, i tried my trusty m-audio midisport 4x4 midi interface and also direct Forte to USB cable, but first notes at timeline 0:0:0 have very quick fade out/in of volume, so i monitored midi in Forte and Cakewalk is sending always at the beginning some resetting messages, so it is normal behaviour? When i move whole song maybe one bar later it is not happening.

Cheers,

Martin Demsky

That would likely need to be a third party or Kurzweil utility. Their format of file / program identity and how it's registered to it's file management system would be unique to each synth maker.  As far as midi at 0:0:0 is concerned - Midi is a serial protocol. If you have controller data, channel data, , patch recall  and note data all trying to rush out the gate at the same time, there will be a train wreck.  It's best practice to have note data start at least  few ticks after 0:0:0  so higher priority data can be sent before you expect to hear a note. It's pretty typical to start note data at measure 2.

If you can't find an INS file specifically for the Forte, you might try going to the link below to get an INS file for the earlier Kurzweil model PC3. Modification of the file, perhaps significant, may be required to get it to work for the Forte, but there should also be a fair amount of commonality between the two models so you won't be starting from scratch.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/kurzweil-pc3-v2-03b-cakewalk-ins-file.24987/

PC3 have a lot more programs/multis than Forte in basic installation of OS with objects, but there is a lot of space for user progs/multis. Now i enter manually bank number and then program number (one bank is 128 programs) so i can access and see directly on Forte which program is selected, it is not that hard to count it. Anyway thanks :)