The Twilight of My Life

And I'm binging The Office again. I managed the facilities dept at the Starbucks Corp office in Seattle from '04 to '10. I didn't start out as their boss, but as one of them. I rose up and a few hated me for it but I had always hated them from the start because from day one they were always less than welcoming. There were several legacy folk there who reminded me of that stereotypical middle to upper aged territorial single woman who's lived in the apartment building you just moved into for over a decade and a half and she comes down huffing and puffing at your front door at the slightest bit of noise you've made. And my boss Tom.. now there was a wall to wall pos. Tom was this Go Lean bird seed eatin type of passively disdainful boss who you'd be in his good graces one moment and then for no apparent reason one day you'd just randomly fall out of favor. 10 years later and I still think about Tom, and how one day when he was out of the office I ran Dban on his PC just long enough to f up his hard drive so that when he came back to work the next day he got the BSOD and all of his work = gone. I droned long and hard in that office and I thought I was gonna die there. And I still have dreams about that job; a recurring dream where I keep getting fired from it in different ways. Last Sunday I moved into an artist loft in downtown Seattle that took 6 years to get into. I'm beginning a new chapter that may have happy ending but is beginning with a storm. 

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Last Sunday I moved into an artist loft in downtown Seattle that took 6 years to get into.

Wow, that's a whole lot of stairs. You're gonna be really pissed off when you get up there one day and realise that you left something you need in the car.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

And I'm binging The Office again. I managed the facilities dept at the Starbucks Corp office in Seattle from '04 to '10. I didn't start out as their boss, but as one of them. I rose up and a few hated me for it but I had always hated them from the start because from day one they were always less than welcoming. There were several legacy folk there who reminded me of that stereotypical middle to upper aged territorial single woman who's lived in the apartment building you just moved into for over a decade and a half and she comes down huffing and puffing at your front door at the slightest bit of noise you've made. And my boss Tom.. now there was a wall to wall pos. Tom was this Go Lean bird seed eatin type of passively disdainful boss who you'd be in his good graces one moment and then for no apparent reason one day you'd just randomly fall out of favor. 10 years later and I still think about Tom, and how one day when he was out of the office I ran Dban on his PC just long enough to f up his hard drive so that when he came back to work the next day he got the BSOD and all of his work = gone. I droned long and hard in that office and I thought I was gonna die there. And I still have dreams about that job; a recurring dream where I keep getting fired from it in different ways. Last Sunday I moved into an artist loft in downtown Seattle that took 6 years to get into. I'm beginning a new chapter that may have happy ending but is beginning with a storm. 

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of what's happening with you and a little brief history besides. Best to you on the new endeavor. Are you better off now than you were 10 years ago? The same? Worse?

I can relate. I don't know exactly how I ended up where I ended up or why. I tried to be somewhere else. I never pictured this as being "it". I guess this is it. I was looking for an opportunity and a way to make it. Not make it big, just make it and get by comfortably. I managed to do it in a very uncommon way. It isn't a career in music but I am able to play and I guess that's enough for me.

As a good friend of mine once said, I'm not hot, I'm not cold, I'm not hungry, I'm healthy. I'm ok.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Starise said:

Are you better off now than you were 10 years ago? The same? Worse?

Way better off today as I was drinking pretty heavily back then. I won't even tell you about that one morning towards the end of my tenure where I came in to the office still drunk and had to be there for the quarterly meeting where I had to address a large room of staff and upper management. I did fine because I was used to functioning like that and I'm not proud of that but it was what it was. Guess I did tell you about it lol. I left that gig to become a property manager which I was until two weeks ago. I'm in here because I'm holed up and restless and I don't want to work on music right now and I'm really starting to hate my TV.

3 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

I won't even tell you about that one morning towards the end of my tenure where I came in to the office still drunk and had to be there for the quarterly meeting where I had to address a large room of staff and upper management. I did fine

I've decided to imagine that it went something like this.........

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Way better off today as I was drinking pretty heavily back then. I won't even tell you about that one morning towards the end of my tenure where I came in to the office still drunk and had to be there for the quarterly meeting where I had to address a large room of staff and upper management. I did fine because I was used to functioning like that and I'm not proud of that but it was what it was. Guess I did tell you about it lol. I left that gig to become a property manager which I was until two weeks ago. I'm in here because I'm holed up and restless and I don't want to work on music right now and I'm really starting to hate my TV.

Great!! I think everyone goes through something and eventually comes around. We all have vices. Nothing wrong with a drink. I hear what you're saying though. Not sure about you but my music has been suffering some lately.  I was working from home, but they made me come back. I was beginning to enjoy it at home. I had plenty to keep me busy, so I didn't think much about the time or seclusion. My wife was around. That doesn't always work well though. I saved a bunch of money on gas and car expenses over something 8 weeks or more.  I go shopping around here, just throw on the mask.

TV is great for me in the evening sometimes. I try to stay away from the news most of the time. Can you sit out back and watch the birds? That always helps me.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:37 AM, Christian Jones said:

There were several legacy folk there who reminded me of that stereotypical middle to upper aged territorial single woman who's lived in the apartment building you just moved into for over a decade and a half and she comes down huffing and puffing at your front door at the slightest bit of noise you've made.

Man I've been there too...good luck with your new place!