4k Monitor - Good or Bad?

Blades

Just now, Rico Belled said:

Very important is that you use a GPU that can do 4k at 60Hz in full color space.

Absolutely critical.  If you have never used a 4k monitor and you get one and attach to a video card that only handles 29/30Hz, it will feel like your computer got really slow or your mouse batteries are dying!  This can even be as simple as the right video card and the wrong cable.

8 hours ago, paulo said:

Just to be super clear then, your proposal to solve a problem that I don't have is to discard two perfectly functional screens, buy a new big one that I neither need or want with 4k resolution that I should then turn off plus some extra software to make the new one look like the two that I already had, just in case I ever feel some bizarre need to watch a big screen TV that is 2 feet in front of my face?

Ohhhhh!  Sorry.  I didn't realize this thread was about YOU Paulo!  I thought it was for Blades' benefit.  My bad.  😜

3 hours ago, craigb said:

Ohhhhh!  Sorry.  I didn't realize this thread was about YOU Paulo!  I thought it was for Blades' benefit.  My bad.  😜

Must have been that pesky other craigb that directed his comment towards me then.........?  😉

20 hours ago, craigb said:

Simples.  You just need something like I mentioned in my original reply:

There's software out there that will allow you to partition your screen (MaxTo is one and Stardock has related products too).  This allows you to virtually have multiple desktops (or even multiple computers) up at the same time, but with the ability to use the full screen with any of these (just a couple key strokes required).  You can also divide the big monitor into smaller ones so that things stay compartmentalized in each.

The idea is that you get the best of both worlds.  You can virtually have dual monitors (except without the thick bezel in-between) or one big one (great for videos!).

Fwiw...I don't think that this thread is for my benefit.  I was actually posing a question for those who already tried using 4k monitors and shared my experience.  I put it in the coffee house to hopefully have some conversation and inform and demonstrate something useful to me.

Let's keep it civil, eh?

One thing I would say, is that everyone I know who's gone for a 4K monitor says they'd never go back to 1080P... so I would take my original comments as a purely personal stance.

I actually used to use a 2 monitor setup with CbB, but switched to a single 1080P setup so that I'd feel comfortable switching between my laptop & my studio setup.  Screensets in CbB are the perfect solution for me.

The other reason is my eyes aren't great nowadays. I've been very slightly long-sighted for the past 30 years, so for the most part my eye sight is fine, but I do struggle sometimes with small text close up. I try to avoid using glasses unless I'm straining to see (which is usually when I'm tired or the lighting is bad), but I don't want to build up a reliance on them.

For me 27" 1080P monitor at 1m away is very comfortable. A 23" monitor is fine at around 75cm, but I do need to use glasses with a 15" laptop screen.

When my optician says I need to wear the glasses pretty much full-time, I'll no doubt opt for a 4K at that point!

Im using since 2015 LG 34'' ultrawide 21:9 3440:1440 monitor and to be honest its perfect aspect ratio and workplace dimension for me. There are now some even more monstrous monitors like 49inch Dell :https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-49WL95C-W-ultrawide-monitor but it will cost huge amount of money (1.5k USD). 

In 2015 when I bought mine it was very rare to see people using UltraWide monitors, but nowadays it become very popular due to its 21:9 aspect ratio.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:19 PM, craigb said:

Just to be redundant... 4k TV's are CHEAP now (and can obviously be used as a TV when necessary).  However, you DON'T need to use the 4k resolution!  I use mine at 2k and everything is just so much easier to see.  Sure, you can dedicate different areas just as if you had multiple monitors (see links above), but then you also have the luxury of using the whole screen whenever you want - something that's not really possible with dual monitors (unless you like ugly bezels in the middle).

That's my experience as well. I used 2/3 monitor setups  for years and liked them. For the past year,  I've mostly been using my 65'' tv as a monitor. It's 4K but I also use it mostly at 2K. Once you get used to the size, it just feels weird and uncomfortable to go back. 

Now, it does turn you into a wireless keyboard equipped couch potato, but what can you do?