String Modulation

Using East West Symphonic Orchestra Play Edition on Cakewalk Bandlab. 

Is there a way of adding modulation expression to individual midi notes only? I tried to accent one note of a cello from loud to soft in volume. Unfortunately, this meant the next note started softly, rather than the previous intensity which the initial volume was programmed at. I am using the master patches as it is a varied piece and I don't wish to load lots of individual patches in different midi channels. 

I am hoping to find a way of editing individual midi notes, the modulation expression (cc11 or cc7), at different points in the piece of music, without having to make sure the modulation expression is on full by the time the attack of the next note starts and everywhere else in the piece of music. 

Thank you!  

If East West Symphonic Orchestra Play Edition responds to polyphonic aftertouch,  you can edit poly aftertouch data in the event editor. It's kind of a PITA, though; a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch would allow doing it in real time, and then you could just overdub or punch until you got it right.

Note that the MIDI 2.0 spec has new types of commands that allow doing basically what MPE does, but with all the data is on a single channel, This makes it much easier to edit in a DAW. It's anyone's guess when this will become commonplace, but I highly doubt it will be this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

One way is to make a MIDI volume envelope, that way you can change single notes or groups of notes easily.  You can control a ton of midi stuff with envelopes.

Go the the midi track and click on the Edit filter - It usually says "clips" by default.  Volume is 1st in the pull down, but more MIDI controls are under MIDI.

Hope this helps,

Max Arwood