Cannot sort plugins

Jerzy Peter

Inserting a synth

CASE 1:

In Cakewalk by Bandlab: when I click "Insert Synth..." in  the Synth Rack, then "Plug-in Layouts", the list of plugins appears and it's sorted  by Category . Regardless of selecting  "Sort by "Category", "Sort by Manufacturer", "Sort by Type", or selecting custom Layout,  the list is always sorted  by Category. When inserting a synth by clicking plus sign in Track area, there is no option to sort the list of plugins. It's sorted always by Category.

CASE 2:

In Sonar Platinum: when I click "Insert Synth..." in the Synth Rack, then "Plug-in Layouts", the list of plugins appears and it's sorted  by Manufacturer. Regardless of selecting  "Sort by "Category", "Sort by Manufacturer", "Sort by Type", or selecting custom Layout,  the list is always sorted  by Manufacturer. When inserting a synth by clicking plus sign in Track area, there is no option to sort the list of plugins. It's sorted always by Manufacturer.

I remember that  it used to work! Could it be related I have CbL and Sonar on the same machine?

Anyone experienced this?

I like to use the Add Track button located in Track View just above the first track that they added a year or two ago.  I find that even though I can get it to sort by manufacturer in Synth View and in the Browser, that I cannot get it to do so with the Add Track button.  It always sorts by Category.  Anyone know if there's a way to make it sort by Manufacturer and stay that way?

15 hours ago, craigr68 said:

I like to use the Add Track button located in Track View just above the first track that they added a year or two ago.  I find that even though I can get it to sort by manufacturer in Synth View and in the Browser, that I cannot get it to do so with the Add Track button.  It always sorts by Category.  Anyone know if there's a way to make it sort by Manufacturer and stay that way?

Press + button > Insert Synth > Plugin layouts ?

That works but it always seems to revert back to Category search if you close and reopen project.  And it seems like an extra step to have to click Insert Synth on the Menu Bar, if that's what you meant.  Seems like they should have put a sort button right in the Add Track panel and then retain that setting.  Anyway, no biggie and this I'll consider a workaround.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, craigr68 said:

That works but it always seems to revert back to Category search if you close and reopen project.  And it seems like an extra step to have to click Insert Synth on the Menu Bar, if that's what you meant.  Seems like they should have put a sort button right in the Add Track panel and then retain that setting.  Anyway, no biggie and this I'll consider a workaround.  Thanks for the info.

That doesn't happen for me. Once set it remains the same until I change it whichever way of inserting a synth I try. (via menu/synth rack/browser or the + button you mention. Try Insert>soft synth>plugin layout>select to whatever preference you have then close project and re-open.

Edited by paulo

Yes, that works consistently and retains the setting when closing and reopening project.  But if I go straight to the + button it usually reverts back to Category sort.  I just tried it again.  The first time I saved the project, then closed the project, not CBB itself, and reopend the project, clicked on +, and it was sorted by Manufacturer.  Then I closed CBB itself, then started CBB and loaded the project and it was sorted by Category again.  Then if I go your route of Insert>soft synth>plugin layout from the menu bar, then +, it's sorted by Manufacturer again.  So for me, it seems to not retain the setting if you go directly to + button at times.

Don't know what else to say because that's not happening for me. Maybe try setting your sort preference in the browser view and see if that makes any difference. I never use the method that you are using, so I've no experience of it other than trying it for you here, but I'm not seeing what you are.

Edited by paulo

I guess I just find it easier and quicker to click the + sign to repetitively add synths which I frequently do.  It's only the + button that exhibits that problem for me.  I don't have the problem from Insert Synth, the Browser, or in Synth View.  Anyway, it's not a big deal to just click like you say on Insert Synth from the menu bar.  And then I can go to the + button after that for as long as I have the project open.  Just an extra step is all.  So I appreciate you figuring that out.