[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.05 Early Access 1

Ok - I just re-checked and I am able to move a folder - Checked against a couple of other projects as well.

I think I'm mistaken , but there does seem to be something different graphically about it that maybe I'm not remembering. Moving tracks outlines the the top of the track in yellow - and the arrow doesn't switch. This just looks differently when moving folders, but maybe it's been that way all along.  I'll chalk it up my agey-ness .

Edited by RBH

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

There is a problem in this case. After moving the selected portion of the envelope you loose the selection

Click between any two nodes to select that section.

Edited by Base 57
spelling error

A quickie on the Lurssen Mastering Console issue.

Here is  CW struggling with LMC loaded.    The song is    not playing at first, then I start play.  

The project consists of four audio tracks, one  MIDI track, plus one mixdown track (solo'd) into which LMC is inserted as an effect.    Samples set at 512, thread scheduling model 2.    'Use multiprocessing engine' and 'plugin load balancing' both ticked.    My first core (of 14) is being blitzed with many cores lying idle.      If I change the LMC GUI to small it reduces the load slightly - the first core doesn't then go occasionally into the red.

As a non techie, is it too much to expect that between  Cakewalk, IK Multimedia or  Steinberg (it's the LMC VST3 version), that applications use all available cores efficiently? 

Sorry,  I made the video below in TinyTake screen capture and it's too big to load up here.  How do you make those short  (presumably smaller file size) clips I see on threads???

Lurssen Screen Capture

Edited by Skyline_UK

57 minutes ago, Skyline_UK said:

Here is  CW struggling with LMC loaded.    The song is    not playing at first, then I start play.  

The project consists of four audio tracks, one  MIDI track, plus one mixdown track (solo'd) into which LMC is inserted as an effect.    Samples set at 512, thread scheduling model 2.    'Use multiprocessing engine' and 'plugin load balancing' both ticked.    My first core (of 14) is being blitzed with many cores lying idle.      If I change the LMC GUI to small it reduces the load slightly - the first core doesn't then go occasionally into the red.

As a non techie, is it too much to expect that between  Cakewalk, IK Multimedia or  Steinberg (it's the LMC VST3 version), that applications use all available cores efficiently? 

Sorry,  I made the video below in TinyTake screen capture and it's too big to load up here.  How do you make those short  (presumably smaller file size) clips I see on threads???

Lurssen Screen Capture

Doing a google search for:   lurssen mastering console CPU usage

... brings up a post from just about every main DAW's forum complaining about the same issue.  FL Studio, Cakewalk, Pro Tools, Studio One... they're all there. So I suspect it's an issue specific to  LMC.

I get similarly high Audio Processing / Engine Load values to you, and see the same behaviour when making the GUI small.

In saying that, I'm running at 64 samples and not getting any dropouts or crackles. That's running LMC v1.03 on an i5 3570 @ 3.4Ghz [4 cores ], 16Gb RAM, 2TB SSD, Scarlett 6i6 1st gen.

Interestingly, changing the buffer size and/or using x2 up-sampling doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all to the CPU load, which leads me to suspect the CPU load isn't in the LMC's audio processing side.

I've got v1.10 on my laptop running in WASAPI mode, and it's pretty much the same - pretty high load, but not enough to cause crackles or dropouts.

[Edit] - Here's what I'm seeing using 2 x oversampling with a buffer size of 64:image.thumb.png.09fe635885fc49e81179a67bd0c800ea.png

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

The aminated gifs are created using ScreenToGif, LICECap or similar tool.

Even though they are fairly small, I do not upload animated gifs to this site. Instead, I use imgur.com and paste the BBCode they provide to embed images/videos

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

Lurssen Screen Capture

@Skyline_UK you can't change science :) There are solutions to problems like this but the solution has to be implemented at the plugin level. 
Plugins are serial processors from the point of view of the DAW - i.e their buffers have to be processed in sequence so a single plugin must be processed serially.
So other than introducing techniques that utilize larger buffers in the DAW there isn't anything further that can be done. The plugin needs to partition its work across different cores to have the most impact. Talk to the plug-in vendor and ask them to improve their CPU efficiency.

• Like 3

It begs the question in my mind, why did/does IK (not a slouch in their market arena) go to all the trouble of devising and programming sophisticated software products that they want to sell a lot of in what seems a slipshod manner?  Surely they would have a clue at design stage that it would be a very good thing if the code took account of the PCs buyers are probably using?  😡🙄

Edited by Skyline_UK

4 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

Lurssen Screen Capture

True to what other are telling you. I've been saying this for a year on different forums since the v1.0.3 - and now the v1.1.0 Lurssen became CPU hungry. 

The previous v1.0.1 and v1.0.0 versions works perfectly. From what i've seen by a close friend who uses Mac and Protools, he is sweating crazy on CPU with Lurssen. 

Unlike loading Lurssen v1.0.1 with 64tracks all processed with plugins loaded and open in Cakewalk, he cant use Lurssen directly in his projects - as what I can in Cakewalk.

So - it's a build-in increase in LMC oversampling process -  not the DAW's it get used in. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

True to what other are telling you. I've been saying this for a year on different forums since the v1.0.3 - and now the v1.1.0 Lurssen became CPU hungry.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, and msmcleod said above, 1.0.3 works perfectly fine, it was after that that the issue arose. I have zero issues with 1.0.3 and a buffer of 128 in Studio One.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is related to the 05 EA but I can't change the Performance/CPU meter settings. It's always stuck on Audio Processing. I can't select Overall or App. Also. The drop-down shows them but no matter what I select it stays on Audio Processing.  I also don't see the dropout information if I hover over the CPU meter.

Did I lock these settings somewhere?

Edit: I rolled back and it still doesn't work so it's not EA 05.

Edit 2: Changing the CPU meeting setting still doesn't work but I found Tool Tips needs to be enabled to get the Audio Processing, Engine Load, Buffer bubble to show up. It's shouldn't work that way. There is nothing intuitive between Tool Tips and the Performance bubble. 

Edited by Terry Kelley

19 hours ago, ensconced said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, and msmcleod said above, 1.0.3 works perfectly fine, it was after that that the issue arose. I have zero issues with 1.0.3 and a buffer of 128 in Studio One.

Thanks.  I'm going to fire up my old PC that I replaced last year and rummage on it to find the earlier downloads.

EDIT:    Ah!  Surprisingly all previous versions are still downloadable from 'My Products'. I deleted the version I'd got installed  and can confirm that 1.0.3 does indeed run better in terms of CPU load.

Edited by Skyline_UK

I've encountered an issue with the New Spitefire Audio BBC Orchestra.

When I try to load an instance in Cakewalk it crashes and I get this error message (see image)

I've tried loading an instance in my old SPLAT (on the same DAW) and it opens without problems.

I've rolled back to the last version of CbB, but I'm getting the same message. 

Should I contact Spitfire audio or is this a CbB issue?

Error Message Labs.png

16 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Philip G Hunt please send me the dump for the crash and we'll look into it. The message shows the location of the dump file.

Noel, the plot thickens. The dump path does not exist. 

I've tried searching for the file by name.

I've tried searching for the dump folder.

This part of the path exists ...user\PH\AppData 

But after that there is no Roaming\Cakewalk folder

Edited by Philip G Hunt

3 hours ago, T Lucas said:

@Philip G Hunt I am having the same issue with BBCSO Discover, but only with VST3.  BBCSO Discover VST2 loads without issue. 

Hi Lucas, I cannot see the VST2 version. Did you have to rename the file or change the folder? The only version that seems to scan in the Plugins Utility is the VST3. Is there some workaround?

Update: I deleted the VST3 file, rescanned plugins, and it works....however, the VST2 version is being recognized and categorized as VST3 in plugin manager.

??? 

Edited by Philip G Hunt