Goodbye Riffstation - gone after March 15th...

TheSteven

Just received the following email.
Riffstation is a great program and is currently free.  It'll be interesting to see what they replace it with.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Goodbye, Riffstation Pro

We are sad to announce that Riffstation Pro (Mac/PC) will no longer be available for download.

We are immensely proud of the success Riffstation has experienced and of the legion of dedicated guitar players it has seen develop along the way. We'd like to thank you for your support over the years.

We will be coming out with an exciting new product soon. In the meantime, if you are using an older version of Riffstation Pro, we strongly recommend that you update to the latest version now to future-proof your app. It's free to download until March 15, 2019.

Download

Please note that you will need Mac OS X v10.10/Windows 7 or higher to run the latest version of the application.

See you soon,

The Riffstation team

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• TheSteven changed the title to Goodbye Riffstation - gone after March 15th...

Very helpful for picking out chord progressions very quickly.  I listen to a lot of music where sheet music isn't avaialbe and have found this great when I don't have time to work things out.  A real time saver.

Sad they are getting rid of it.  Curious what the next product will be.

Riffstation is a handy tool, and well worth the price. Grab it before is is gone!

I had originally purchased the paid version, but grabbed this one as soon as it was released as freeware. No serial required!

It should continue to function, as is until ...

Even (especially) if you have the paid version, get this release. When I got this machine last year, I had issues getting my serial to take for authorization (customer support was still alive then, so got it resolved). I am assuming that this download going away also means that the registration servers will go offline. This free version is unlocked and may be the only way to re-install RiffStation in the future.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 year later...

I know I'm late for this discussion, but I've started to suspect they dumbed down the chord recognition for the last version 1.6.3. Especially recognizing between major and minor chords is worse in 1.6.3 than it was in version 1.5.

I've checked out a few songs that had the right chords in version 1.5 but version 1.6.3 displays some simple minor chords as major chords. One well known example: Blinding Lights by The Weeknd. Version 1.5 displayed the first chord as Fm, version 1.6.3. says it's F.

I'd definitely go back to version 1.5 but of course I can not activate it anymore. I only found out about closing the activation servers a few days ago when for some reason my Riffstation installation started asking for me to activate it again - which obviously didn't work.

Oh well... since they sort of had to give away the last "future proof" version for free to everyone, maybe they stripped away some if its skills to sell them again  as something else in the future.

Edited by Robbo Nafta
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Both browsers set  off a security warning for there website.

For me, it was just an HTTP warning (no HTTPS). Surprisingly, the download is still available.

The installer started up just fine, but I aborted since I already had it installed.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, TheSteven said:

Just received the following email.
Riffstation is a great program and is currently free.  It'll be interesting to see what they replace it with.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Goodbye, Riffstation Pro

We are sad to announce that Riffstation Pro (Mac/PC) will no longer be available for download.

We are immensely proud of the success Riffstation has experienced and of the legion of dedicated guitar players it has seen develop along the way. We'd like to thank you for your support over the years.

We will be coming out with an exciting new product soon. In the meantime, if you are using an older version of Riffstation Pro, we strongly recommend that you update to the latest version now to future-proof your app. It's free to download until March 15, 2019.

Download

Please note that you will need Mac OS X v10.10/Windows 7 or higher to run the latest version of the application.

See you soon,

The Riffstation team

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.riffstation.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Help improve Chrome security by sending URLs of some pages you visit, limited system information, and some page content to Google. Privacy policy

People are going to see this thread pop up and not realize it was March 15th LAST YEAR (2019). The cert expiring certainly doesn't surprise me, since that costs more money by far than keeping the site alive; but you are not logging in or sending any information to the site other than a download request IIRC. Being able to still download it is a good reminder for those who missed it first go-round.

As for one-off songs that fail Riffstation analytics, it is pretty accurate and has a nice set of features useful to anyone wanting to dissect music (audio microscope, tempo manipulation, etc.). I personally have experienced dozens of situations where Melodyne has fallen flat on its face, and I paid a lot more for Melodyne than Riffstation (I *think* I got Riffstation when it was around 20USD).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3