Win10 how to replace audio driver (tough situation)

Keni

Hi Gang...

I'm still trying to resolve a problem long distance in a difficult situation. 

I have a friend who is less than computer illiterate but has been using CbB in a basic format for many months. He has no internet. The dreaded demo mode occurred and forced me to have him take his DAW (desktop) elsewhere to update CbB. When we did it also did win10 updating and it appears to have changed the driver file to a codec that only supports mono mic input (1) but stereo out.

How can I change the driver. He's using a Mackie Profx8v2 board as interface. The v2 doesn't have a driver on the mackie site and appears to use generic usb audio. It was working fine before the update.

I appreciate any help you might offer as this is a very good, close friend. He is in Florida without internet or cell phone and I'm in California.

Thanks 

Edited by Keni

According to the FAQ this unit should send a stereo out (two tracks)  from the Main Mix of the  board to the computer via USB. Since it is a mixing board, I would assume that microphone inputs would be controlled/turned on/mixed by use of the physical controls on the board. Once however many inputs are mixed to the board's Main Mix that should be what is received by the computer. It does not use an installable driver. 

Thanks slartabartfast...

Yes. I know this. We've been running it stereo successfully for an album prior. This got changed by the system during an update.

Currently, the i/o of the board are stereo and the output of the pc is stereo, but even when the stereo input is selected, the recording is mono!

I just discovered an accessibility setting that changes something mono/stereo and I will try this during tonight's work (machine is non-internet in Florida and I'm in Ca so time is always an issue).

It is possible that the windows update has substituted a device specific driver that would normally be installed via USB on first connection with a new USB audio generic driver. If that were the case I would expect a complete failure to communicate rather than this odd behavior. In any case it might be worth trying to force windows to recognize the device specific driver and install it. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4021854/windows-10-doesn-t-install-specific-drivers-for-usb-audio-devices-on-t

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/usb-2-0-audio-drivers

https://www.minitool.com/news/fix-usb-audio-drivers-wont-install-win-10.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/usb-audio-codec-for-profx8-does-not-work-for/64aed282-141e-484e-adf9-c51b2cb7a3fc

It might even be possible to just roll back the driver:

To roll back your audio driver

In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.

Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.

Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Properties.

Select the Driver tab, then select Roll Back Driver.

Read and follow the instructions and then select Yes if you want to roll back your audio driver.

All good ideas except he has no internet so it fails to find any drivers.

But... I just discovered 2 locations specifically related to mono/stereo and will be trying them tonight. He has win10 and I only have 8.1 so locations and options are more difficult for me to locate at times.

it seems there is a mono/stereo setting in accessibility settings where I never thought to look and i just saw online, a setting in the driver settings that also addresses mono/stereo.

I'll post results either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again! 🙏

Edited by Keni

This is driving me crazy.

This is driving me crazy.

I found an option listed online under ease of access audio options for enabling mono audio. 

Problem? There are no audio options under ease of access win10pro

Anyone shine a light? This machine changed the driver to mono mic only and no searches find other solutions.

One in Ease of access the other in device manager but both locations do not show the options described in the online info.

Sorry to see that Keni, but I do share your pain. Just this past week, tried to update Win10 (so I could use the latest version of CbB) and caused nothing but problems with the update. Had to revert back to an earlier date and still can't get into CbB...also, messed up the software (Citrix) I use to work from home and had to come into the office today.

Anyway, hope you get your issue fixed.

Edited by Mesh

28 minutes ago, Mesh said:

Sorry to see that Keni, but I do share your pain. Just this past week, tried to update Win10 (so I could use the latest version of CbB) and caused nothing but problems with the update. Had to revert back to an earlier date and still can't get into CbB...also, messed up the software (Citrix) I use to work from home and had to come into the office today.

Anyway, hope you get your issue fixed.

Thanks Mesh...

I think I've come up with a method/solution.

I will have my friend buy a wifi dongle and connect online via a 3rd party hotspot.

Disconnect the board and uninstall the driver.

connect to hotspot 

connect board and allow the system to install the appropriate driver

Not sure how quickly I can get this done, but at this point it seems a good approach?

• Great Idea 1

If your friend can get connected, it would probably be best to update Win 10 to the current version. The problem described in my first link above (which may or may not be your problem) was specific to version 1703 and was fixed by subsequent updates. 

The driver rollback, if it is available, should not require and internet connection.

2 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

If your friend can get connected, it would probably be best to update Win 10 to the current version. The problem described in my first link above (which may or may not be your problem) was specific to version 1703 and was fixed by subsequent updates. 

The driver rollback, if it is available, should not require and internet connection.

When was the update released? He just allowed the update a couple of weeks ago when he had to re-authorize Cake setting this situation into motion. All was well and system working fine.

If I did a rollback, it might affect Cake as well... so I think I'm gonna opt for a wifi dongle and hotspot then uninstall/reinstall the board allowing it to find a driver.

After the upcoming update is released and I get him updated to it using the hotspot, it will get easier with the return of offline authorization...

20 hours ago, Keni said:

If I did a rollback, it might affect Cake as well... so I think I'm gonna opt for a wifi dongle and hotspot then uninstall/reinstall the board allowing it to find a driver.

The driver rollback is a Windows process, and would be expected to only affect the driver--it does not affect applications directly.  You could be a lot more precise about whether it might help if you knew the current driver was not correct or if you knew the current version of Windows.  Unfortunately when you allow Windows Update to update your Windows installation, it does not invariably bring it up all the  way to the then current version. Some updates depend on an earlier version already having been installed, and unless you repeatedly run updates you often end up at some intermediate version especially if it has been a while since the last update.  I realize that it can be difficult to provide any granular level of help to a naive user by telephone--so the advice may not be anything you can use. Besides, I have no confidence that your problem has been correctly diagnosed at this point.

32 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

The driver rollback is a Windows process, and would be expected to only affect the driver--it does not affect applications directly.  You could be a lot more precise about whether it might help if you knew the current driver was not correct or if you knew the current version of Windows.  Unfortunately when you allow Windows Update to update your Windows installation, it does not invariably bring it up all the  way to the then current version. Some updates depend on an earlier version already having been installed, and unless you repeatedly run updates you often end up at some intermediate version especially if it has been a while since the last update.  I realize that it can be difficult to provide any granular level of help to a naive user by telephone--so the advice may not be anything you can use. Besides, I have no confidence that your problem has been correctly diagnosed at this point.

Gotcha. There is no driver rollback for this driver. So the driver wasn't updated. But it shows only mic input and no (stereo line) so you may be correct and the mono input option has been enabled. Too bad I can’t find it where all pointers lead. Though it might not work, I'm hoping removing then reinstalling the driver will rest this. During this he will be online so we can also try further updates for win10. I do know about updates dependent upon which updates are already installed and could be related.

This is an incredibly difficult situation at every turn...

Thanks again! He's expecting to buy a wifi dongle today.

Wow! What an ordeal!

I think it's resolved, but I'm not thrilled.

We installed a wifi dongle, connected to web via phone hotspot.

Uninstalled the driver.

turned off board and disconnected the usb cable.

reconnected usb cable and turned board on.

installed driver which was named the same, but in advanced sound settings now offered a dropdown list allowing me the typical choices and was able to get it stereo and cd or dvd quality. Stereo again at last! ...but no line in option shows, only microphone???

Better, but did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!