How to automate VST parameters (not MIDI CC) with hardware?

GreenLight

Hi guys!

I would like to control VST plugin parameters using external hardware knobs, but how do I do that? The parameters are exposed as VST parameters, not MIDI CC:s (so the plugin does not have MIDI learn). I use MIDI CC:s all the time but this one has me stumped... 🤔

I tried msmcleod's tip of putting a plugin in the Pro Channel, and the Pro Channel knobs have "Learn knob" but I can't get those PC knobs to react using my hardware (Komplete Kontrol S49)...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: I can map knobs on normal Pro Channel modules by right clicking on them and selecting "Remote Control". There I can easily connect, say MIDI CC 21 from my hardware to that specific knob. But the knobs in an FX Chain don't have the "Remote Control" option in the right click menu... 😐

Edit 2: The "Learn Knob" on Pro Channel FX Chain knobs is only about connecting it to a plugin, not to external hardware. 🤥

Edited by GreenLight
Added info about Pro Channel

As long as you wrap plug-ins in question into NKS, I think you can control parameters using Komplete Kontrol native methods. If I remember correctly, there is still no "deep integration" for these keyboards into Cakewalk (so there will be no "automatic track following"), but it should work for the purpose.

In MIDI mode you can use Cakewalk feature called "ACT" ("Plug-in dynamic mapping"). It is available in "ACT MIDI" and "Generic Surface". "ACT" term is also used for surface API in general, so a bit confusing (but "ACT" button on top of plug-ins is for "Plug-in dynamic mapping"). You can easily find many guides in the Internet (and that feature is described in the standard documentation). Plug-in dynamic mapping works for any plug-in in focus (FX, Synth, ProChannel).

Finally you can use ACT map in AZ Controller.

You will find many posts that "ACT does not work", "my mappings are not remembered", etc. But that is more for older versions of Cakewalk (there was one nasty bug for several years). And you can move to the "safe side" by using "AZ ACT Fix" (usable with all surface plug-ins) in case you still hit some problems with mappings (or just for convenience... there is no build-in feature to "clean" automatically created and hardly unusable maps, with that utility you can clean, reorganize, backup and one click restore).

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your nice response, azslow! I haven't dared to go down the ACT rabbit hole yet, but thanks a lot for the instructions. 🐇🕳️😉

About NKS: I kind of assumed the plugin had to be NKS-compatible for it to work, but I will give it a try and get back! :D