Days Gone By - new song

Lynn Wilson

Hello to all my CW friends.  I hope you're all staying healthy and safe and finding some joy in your music.  I have just  finished a song based on true events, inspired by the Covid-19 virus.  It's a song about someone losing a loved one in this battle, though it offers a glimmer of hope in the end.  My friend, Roger Fife, played bass on this, but I did the rest with help for the first time from EZ Keys on the piano.  I went a little more mainstream than normal, but under the circumstances, I think it was appropriate in this case.

I hope you enjoy it and will offer suggestions and advice, as usual.  As always, thanks a million for listening and all your help.  "Days Gone By" can be found here: https://soundclick.com/r/s8ctxx

• Like 5

I enjoyed the song Lynn - and as always I liked your vocal. It sounds like a pretty good mix to me - plenty of clarity for all the instruments with depth.

I liked the tone of the lead guitar on the solo - sounded cool. The piano sounded quite nice as well.

Nice job on the lyrics too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harry C. said:

Hello Lynn,  overall a good song. What i would rework is the kick which is a bit matchy and then the Hihat could be a bit quieter, especially in the beginning.

But as always, it's all a matter of taste.

Thanks for your good ideas, Harry.  I'll take you up on those when I remix.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, Lynn said:

Hello to all my CW friends.  I hope you're all staying healthy and safe and finding some joy in your music.  I have just  finished a song based on true events, inspired by the Covid-19 virus.  It's a song about someone losing a loved one in this battle, though it offers a glimmer of hope in the end.  My friend, Roger Fife, played bass on this, but I did the rest with help for the first time from EZ Keys on the piano.  I went a little more mainstream than normal, but under the circumstances, I think it was appropriate in this case.

I hope you enjoy it and will offer suggestions and advice, as usual.  As always, thanks a million for listening and all your help.  "Days Gone By" can be found here: https://soundclick.com/r/s8ctxx

Nice job Lynn - I like your vocal tone on this one - also the harmonies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the song Lynn - and as always I liked your vocal. It sounds like a pretty good mix to me - plenty of clarity for all the instruments with depth.

I liked the tone of the lead guitar on the solo - sounded cool. The piano sounded quite nice as well.

Nice job on the lyrics too.

Thanks Douglas!  FYI, the lead guitar is my Strat played with an E-Bow going through S-Gear.

7 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

great song Lynn.  And (as always) done perfectly.  You could have a career as a singer if not as a producer.

David, I appreciate your encouraging words!  

3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Nice production job as always @Lynn, we do live in troubling times with much misleading information being distributed by people who should know better.

I like this easy on the ears, even if the lyrics are hard to hear.

Wookie, thank you for your time and response!  Are the lyrics hard to hear because of their content, or because of volume?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Nicely done Lynn.
Well played (and programmed) across the board.
EZKeys served you well in this one, and I imagine represented a lot of work on your part.
The flute a mellotoon patch?

👍

t

Tom, thanks for taking a listen and your kind words.  EZ Keys is easy to use, and it took me about 15 minutes to arrange this part.  If I had played this, myself, it would have taken about 15 weeks.  The flute part is a sample from Dimension Pro played on my Strat through MIDIGuitar 2.

6 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice job Lynn - I like your vocal tone on this one - also the harmonies.

Thank you Steve for the encouragement.  I especially appreciate your comments on the vox, which I was unsure about.

• Like 1

Vocals are great, the instrumentation choices are killer, the lyrics are heartfelt, the chord changes are freeeekin tasty!!!

This one sounds like you spent some quality hours on the mix, sounds really clean, separated, tastefully compressed and effected. Wonderful!

The only critique I could suggest is to take the hi hat down 1.5 db, and give at least .5 db back to the sidestick   :)

loved it! It never got boring . . .oh I forgot the bgv's were so supportive, there and not there at the same time. Wonderful!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Vocals are great, the instrumentation choices are killer, the lyrics are heartfelt, the chord changes are freeeekin tasty!!!

This one sounds like you spent some quality hours on the mix, sounds really clean, separated, tastefully compressed and effected. Wonderful!

The only critique I could suggest is to take the hi hat down 1.5 db, and give at least .5 db back to the sidestick   :)

loved it! It never got boring . . .oh I forgot the bgv's were so supportive, there and not there at the same time. Wonderful!

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, thanks for your kind words!  I will make the adjustments you suggest on the next pass.  That's what happens when I try to think like a drummer ;)

10 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn

Great vocals and love the track - great job

Nigel

Nigel, thank you for taking the time to listen and reply!  Keep up your good work.

9 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Lyrics nice a clear content not so nice to hear.

Yeah, sucks doesn't it?

• Like 1

Always a pleasure to hear your latest Lynn. Very good arrangement and chord changes. You work with a lot of different instruments and you orchestrated them well. You've been blessed with a great voice that sounds good in just about any genre.

19 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Always a pleasure to hear your latest Lynn. Very good arrangement and chord changes. You work with a lot of different instruments and you orchestrated them well. You've been blessed with a great voice that sounds good in just about any genre.

Thank you, Bjorn.  Your words mean a lot to me!

10 hours ago, Makke said:

Good song and arrangement.  Great job.

Makke, thanks for your time.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Wow, you really have done a stellar job on this song Lynn.  You have honed you skills on orchestration and in mixing - for sure.  I agree with the comments above that your vocals and harmony sound great.  What captured me about this song are the lyrics and sentiments expressed in them.  The melody  and  instrumentation certainly complement the lyrics and add to the sentiment. 

Excellent work my friend!!!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:30 PM, freddy j said:

Wow, you really have done a stellar job on this song Lynn.  You have honed you skills on orchestration and in mixing - for sure.  I agree with the comments above that your vocals and harmony sound great.  What captured me about this song are the lyrics and sentiments expressed in them.  The melody  and  instrumentation certainly complement the lyrics and add to the sentiment. 

Excellent work my friend!!!

Thank you, Freddy, your words are very kind and welcome.  Stay healthy and productive, my friend!!!