Cannot Open Cakewalk

Kyhotay

Cakewalk keeps crashing on me.  This is a new development as it has been an extremely stable DAW.  I'm attaching a jpg of the error message and would appreciate any help as I have no idea how I go from being a "user" to an "admin!"

Am I better off just sticking with Sonar 8.5??

Thanks,

Brian

BandCamp Crash.JPG

There is no need to run CbB from BA,

Try running CbB directly from disk. The default location of the Cakewalk.exe is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

If the DAW is configured to run as administrator, Windows requires that any program launching the DAW also run as administrator.

The only time CbB needs to run as administrator is if some plug-in needs elevated privileges to write to protected areas of the disk or registry.

To see if CbB has been set to run as administrator

• right-click on the Cakewalk.exe
  • select Properties from the context menu
  • open the Compatibility tab

The "Run this program as an administrator" option is near the bottom of the window.

If for some reason CbB must run as administrator, BA must be set the same way. Setting the "Run this program as an administrator" option for the BA shortcut is the same as setting it for the Cakewalk.exe.

23 minutes ago, scook said:

There is no need to run CbB from BA,

Try running CbB directly from disk. The default location of the Cakewalk.exe is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

If the DAW is configured to run as administrator, Windows requires that any program launching the DAW also run as administrator.

The only time CbB needs to run as administrator is if some plug-in needs elevated privileges to write to protected areas of the disk or registry.

To see if CbB has been set to run as administrator

• right-click on the Cakewalk.exe
  • select Properties from the context menu
  • open the Compatibility tab

The "Run this program as an administrator" option is near the bottom of the window.

If for some reason CbB must run as administrator, BA must be set the same way. Setting the "Run this program as an administrator" option for the BA shortcut is the same as setting it for the Cakewalk.exe.

@scook, FYI - I just yesterday installed CbB on a friend's laptop, and after doing the install from BA, I opened CbB from the desktop icon - first launch - and I got an error message telling me CbB was not authorized, so I did, in fact, need to do its 1st launch from the Open button in BA, for it to decide it was properly authorized.  I have installed CbB on 3 or or different computers, for both myself and a couple friends, and I guess that was the first time I hadn't done an initial launch of it from BA right after install, as I had not seen that message before.  Thereafter, certainly CbB does not need to be launched from within BA, and as always your other comments are spot on.  I will pay attention, next time I do an initial install and launch, of CbB, and confirm or correct my notion that the initial launch seems to be needed to be done from within BA. :)

Bob Bone

Thanks for the heads up.

It has been a long time since I performed an initial or clean install and do not recall under what conditions activation happens. It may be BA needs to be running in the background for the initial run or CbB just fail to run it. Can't say for sure.

6 hours ago, scook said:

Thanks for the heads up.

It has been a long time since I performed an initial or clean install and do not recall under what conditions activation happens. It may be BA needs to be running in the background for the initial run or CbB just fail to run it. Can't say for sure.

I knew BA would need to launch it, for the authorization, once I had seen the error message, and then because the main user for the laptop was the owner, and therefore an admin user, BA also complained about needing to be in admin mode - which matches your prior explanation about that - so I changed the properties of BA to include Run As Aministrator, launched it, opened CbB from the Open button in BA, and all was fine thereafter, confirmed by closing CbB, and relaunching separately outside of BA (I had also altered the properties for CbB to Run As Administrator too, just to keep it simple for my friend, who is not a computer guy).

Bob Bone

To the original poster - likely altering the Properties of Bandlab Assistant, and of Cakewalk, to use the Run As Administrator option, will resolve the issue.  Once Cakewalk has been launched successfully one time from Bandlab Assistant, which will authorize it, you never again need to launch Cakewalk from Bandlab Assistant (though you certainly can, it is just not needed once Cakewalk has been authorized, which happens automatically that 1st time it gets launched successfully from Bandlab Assistant), and thereafter, you can just launch Cakewalk from its own launch icon.  It is important to note that for this choice of resolving the issues, once you alter the properties to include the Run As Adminstrator option and save the properties with that change (which means not just clicking on the Run As Administrator option, but actually going into either the Advanced properties and checking Run As Administrator there, then on Apply and OK, though if you don't see the option in the Advanced properties, it might also be found by clicking on the Compatibility tab at the top of the Properties dialog box, then down near the bottom you will see a check box for the Run As Administrator option, and you can check it there, then click Apply and OK).  Anyways, once the Run As Adminstrator property has been applied and saved to both programs, if Bandlab Assistant is running, or running in the background, you will need to quit it and relaunch it, to pick up the new property changes.

Also, there is an alternative method to resolving its insistance on being run as administrator, which would be to create a new Windows User Account for your computer, and create that new user as a Standard user, so that it is NOT an Admin user.  Then, if you use that user to log on and run Cakewalk, it should not require it to be run as administrator.

Either of the above choices should resolve the issues for you. :)