Roland TD-17KVX Electronic Drum Kit - Opinions please

synkrotron

Hi Peeps,

My youngest lad is an occasional drummer. He has a reasonable acoustic kit but he hardly plays it since getting his own house due to the usual reason of upsetting the neighbours.

He mentioned he was thinking of getting an electronic kit so I thought I'd ask around see what peeps think here.

Having watched some YouTube reviews for a couple of kits including Roland, Yamaha and Alesis and out of all of them, for a budget, I think the Roland TD-17KVX was the best.

The TD-17KVX appears to have a much nice set of triggers which includes a hi-hat that you mount on a proper stand and a snare trigger that is a cut above the triggers on the lower priced TD-17 kits.

There still appears to be a little problem with the "machine gun" issue but I reckon that, if we record a MIDI performance as opposed to audio then the machine gun effect can be fixed, and it would also allow for using other kit sounds too.

So, yeah, what do you think?

cheers

andy

I tried a few kits out a good few years back, although I never actually got around to buying one (I'm still using a DIY kit based on a Remo practice kit & Alesis DM5).

The Roland kits definitely stood out as the best, at least from a controller point of view - i.e. pad responsiveness (especially the mesh kits) and also the fact the hi-hat was completely variable between open and closed.

Sound-wise I actually preferred the Alesis, but the hi-hat is an on/off type with nothing in between. In practice this didn't cause me too many issues, but it did limit my playing.

Personally, I think the TD-17KVX is a good choice... and I think you're right about the machine gun effect being more to do with Roland's internal sounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

because the annoying neighbours were always shouting and banging on my walls

Bloody neighbours!

50 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I tried a few kits out a good few years back, although I never actually got around to buying one (I'm still using a DIY kit based on a Remo practice kit & Alesis DM5).

Haha! I bought a DM5 back in the early naughties for my MIDI studio, still got it in fact :)

I made a set of triggers for it using a piezo transducer glued to a metal which had some 3mm rubber glued to that. It worked, of a fashion. It's in the shed now, probably all rotted away...

53 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Personally, I think the TD-17KVX is a good choice... and I think you're right about the machine gun effect being more to do with Roland's internal sounds.

Okay, this is what I am thinking, but I will wait until a few more peeps have seen this post before pulling the trigger...

cheers

andy

1 hour ago, craigb said:

I really enjoyed mine

Nice :D

1 hour ago, craigb said:

with the basic kit! 

Okay, so, is the TD-17KVX "basic," or does it pass muster?

Out of the three, this is the most expensive.

Brain might not be as good as the TD-25.

And the snare trigger doesn't have lots of zones like the TD-25.

But, according to this guy,

The TD-17KVX is slightly better than the TD-25 kit.

cheers

andy :)