Cakewalk won't open an existing project

Michael D Pierce

Question

I all the sudden can't open any existing projects in cakewalk. It freezes when it says "preparing project." Not sure if it was because of the last update? I've tried using multiple interfaces. I can open a new project, but not an existing one. This is very frustrating because I'm in the middle of recording an album. It doesn't seem to be creating a minidump. please help!

3 answers to this question

Hold down the SHIFT key while opening the project to load it in safe mode. Sometimes just running in safe mode is enough to open a project but, if it still locks up, safe mode can skip plug-ins which may be the issue.

Is Windows maintenance all up to date?  Even the optional patches?  (those often require explicit clicking on the Install link).  Also, per @scook, you can start with safe mode, and skip ALL the plugins, just to see if it then opens or still fails.  If it still fails with zero plugins allowed to be attempted to be loaded, then the issue is not with the plugins, whereas if it opens when all plugins are skipped, you can close and go through the process of opening in safe mode again, and just let it open with the 1st plugin and skipping the rest, and if it opens, repeat the cycle, allowing one additional plugin at a time to load (so, if it opened with the 1st plugin, open in safe mode again, allowing the 1st and the 2nd plugin to load, and add one more plugin each repeated instance of opening in safe mode), until you find a plugin that fails.  THEN, keep going, but skip that failing plugin, and march through the rest of the plugins in the same manner, in case any additional plugins also cause the project to fail to fully open.

Noel also has posted instructions on capturing a mini-dump manually, if nobody posts those here in a bit, I will circle back and look for them and post them, so that you can obtain some crash info. 

Bob Bone